cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Speed Query

N/A

High Speed Query

Hello

I have just received a note from Plus Net informing me that my line will soon be upgraded to 8mb meaning I should get faster speeds. I am currently on a 2mb Premier connection but only get 1mb due to line restrictions. This is very frustrating for me and I wonder if this latest e-mail is just another "might be you, might not" communication. Despite many attempts with BT and PlusNet I cannot find out why my connection is slow and what I can do about it. I live in Lower Earley, Reading and would like to know if this recent mail from Plus Net is based on fact for my connection in particular or is just another general e-mail that means i will not get improvement.

How can I find out!

Thanks
14 REPLIES
N/A

High Speed Query

Have you checked the Exchange status on usertools: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges this gives a rough estimate of what you could expect from MaxDSL. Enter your phone number and then select the "BT has published DSL Max upgrade information..." link to see the details.

If you know your line stats (current Sync, Attenuation and SNR), try here http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm
passer
Grafter

High Speed Query

Hi -

When the upgrade request on your line is submitted, BT will re-assess its capabilities, and during the testing period will determine what they think the maximum speed is that it can handle. You can find more information about this process here :

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40769
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

High Speed Query

@vettese

Could you confirm that you were on Premier 2MB @ £21.99 please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

High Speed Query

I'm on 2MB@£21.99 at the moment and can only get 1 MB.

But my exchange details say
Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products will be available from 31/03/06.
Speeds: Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 3Mbps or greater.

I've heard nothing about any upgrade yet though. Not sure if I want it or not. I want the speed, so I can do things like watch Sky on my PC, but with the new limits I probably won't have enough bandwidth to do much other than send emails.
N/A

High Speed Query

You will likely be upgraded at some point over the next few months. The line limits for MaxDSL are different from the limits for vanilla DSL products, so you will probably get a speed boost, but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near 8Mbps. depending on the line it may even still be under 2Mbps.
N/A

High Speed Query

vetesse....

just out of interest, when did you first join plusnet, was it the jan 2004 that you have in your profile, I am just trying to get an idea of when mine might be coming
N/A

High Speed Query

Hello All

thanks for the responses. i did join in Jan 04 and paid for an upgrade from 512 to 1mb soon after I believe. Yes I am a premier plus 2mb at 21.99.

My BT exchange reads with this message:

Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products will be available from 31/03/06.
Speeds: Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 1Mbps or greater.

By working out the connection using the link in the trail (http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm) it worked out that i can have 1476kbps. So does that mean 2, 4, 6 or 8 mb are just a distant dream for me, is there ANYTHING i can do!!! Help me obi wan?
N/A

High Speed Query

dont forget, they are just guidelines, wait to see what your line stabilises at...also maybe contact BT, if you havent already, and ask them to turn up the gain on your line, it will improve a little, not by much, but you never know!
Community Veteran

High Speed Query

No turning up the gain does nothing for ADSL. That was for analogue signals using a dial up modem.
N/A

High Speed Query

ahhhh, my apologies in that case, come to think of it, it was some time back i asked for it to be done....sorry Shockedops:
N/A

High Speed Query

Bit of a farce, I've been with Plus since 2003 and am on the 2mb premier and not a sniff of an upgrade and my billing date has just passed.

Feel for the poor 'subscribers' that have been paying for the 4-8mb and still not got an upgrade notice.
N/A

High Speed Query

Soniz, if you're only on the option 1 (or the old <=2mb package) then you'll probably not see an upgrade for a month or two...
N/A

High Speed Query

OK, well thanks for all the replies. I guess I still have the unanswered question of whether I will ever get faster than 1mb. It is very frustrating because here I am paying 21.99 per month for 1mb yet I have family members paying 14-15 per month and getting 4-6mb. Does not seem right!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

High Speed Query

The days of paying for speeds are pretty much gone which is why all PN's products are "up to" xxx depending upon your line. What you choose between is the product which best suits your anticipated pattern of downloading. It doesn't cost PN a penny difference to supply a 512K line to someone downloading 5GB to supplying an 8MB user downloading the same amount.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)