cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden fees for moving house?

N/A

We've just been told by PlusNet that we'll be charged an additional 47 pound activation fee (held on account) for moving house and taking plusnet with us. That is not what is says on their website. Their website says there is a £5 charge. If I were plusnet I would stop lying unless they fancy Trading Standards getting in touch with them. I am seriously thinking of completely cancelling and going back with Telewest who's customer services are much better. And who are honest.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Could you post a link to the page where it says about the £5 charge.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

To move an ADSL service to a new line will attract a new activation fee. However, we do offer two different ways of arranging it. You can either pay for the activation up front, or just pay an admin fee of £5+VAT and defer the cost via our "you stay, we pay" offer similar to our activation offer.
N/A

N/A

If you click Account Details - then Move my ADSL all is revealed.

Choose your payment option

To give you one less thing to worry about when you move, we can now cover the cost of moving your broadband. There is a £5.88 (inc VAT) admin charge that will be taken immediately and if you stay with us that's all you have to pay. If you want to pay now, you can still do so. Read Terms and Conditions

Option 1 Let us cover the cost
Option 2 Pay £52.88 inc VAT now
N/A

Hi,

To move an ADSL service to a new line will attract a new activation fee. However, we do offer two different ways of arranging it. You can either pay for the activation up front, or just pay an admin fee of £5+VAT and defer the cost via our "you stay, we pay" offer similar to our activation offer.

That is not what your website says. It mentions nothing about a new activation fee.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

That's what the £47 charge represents, a new activation fee. In all cases there's a £5+VAT admin fee, but you have the option of paying the £47 up fron or deferring it.
N/A

When you move your ADSL the new premises need to have the line activated. hence the option of You Stay We Pay or Pay up Front.
N/A

That's what the £47 charge represents, a new activation fee. In all cases there's a £5+VAT admin fee, but you have the option of paying the £47 up fron or deferring it.

From your website

12. What if I already have broadband from PlusNet and I'm moving to a new property, can I take my broadband account with me?
Yes. Go to Move my ADSL in the Member Centre and provide us with your new details. Moving your broadband to your new address will take approximately 7 to 10 days from the time that you provide us with your new details. If you provide your new details to us at the right time you could have broadband waiting for you at your new address when you move in!

Moving your broadband this way means that you can keep your existing login and password details, as well as your email addresses, webspace and other account features.

Special offer: If you're a Broadband Plus, Broadband Pay As You Go or Broadband Premier customer, we can cover the cost of moving your broadband. All you'll have to pay is a £5.88 inc VAT admin fee. Business broadband customers can also take advantage of this offer and will pay a £5 exc VAT admin fee.
N/A

All gone a bit quiet now? No doubt there is a quick change being made to the website.

I am pretty much minded to cancel my subscription. That way I only lose the original activation fee and do not have to pay again. I'll just go with some provider with no hidden fees.

I'd be interested to know what your churn rate is.
N/A

Yes, but read the terms and conditions. This is the "defer" offer.

U can pay £5.88 if u like, but if u leave in future before the deferment time is over then u have to pay x of the amount. depends on how long u stay
N/A

Consider the account cancelled. And we will not be paying 94 quid.
N/A

Everything which you have quoted is absolutely correct and that is exactly what happens.

Your account is moved to the new premises and the new line is activated for adsl to enable your account to work.
N/A

I dont understand where you get the £94 from?

Cancel that comment. just realised the situation. Shockedops:
N/A

I am pretty much minded to cancel my subscription. That way I only lose the original activation fee and do not have to pay again. I'll just go with some provider with no hidden fees.

Exactly - one of many like me who don't appreciate the disguised 'you stay for years we eventually pay' hoodwink, and jump ship rather than be taken for a second ride. Nice to see they aren't swayed by loyalty to be generous. What you should do is migrate - you'll pay PN's deferred charges all right, but connection for migrations to another isp cost me the standard £12. And it's not throttled, capped, bodged or fiddled about with in any way.

Well done - and by checking the forums over the last 6 months you'll quickly surmise they have cheesed loads of people off; who knows how many who have not bothered to talk about it on the forums.