cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden costs... quit now?

N/A

Have just signed up for plusnet and have belatedly realised that the activation and modem are not in fact free (as implied when you sign up online and make your choices - have a look!), but that fairly hefty charges will be incurred unless you stay with plusnet for a number of years - 5 years in fact until both are "free".

I see however that you can cancel within the first 45 (?) days. Given the misleading info on sign up and all the negative postings here, should I just sack it off now before it is too late?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

That is entirely your decision. You have all the facts, I suppose you need to think whether PN wil provide you the service you require for the next five years.

Are things likely to change? Probably.

Will these changes affect you? Maybe, who knows.

If you cancel you may probably still be charged for your line activation, you may be able to migrate for free, but you will have to return the modem I think.

Have a read of the forums, you will find disgruntled folk, and you will find happy folk. Why not send a few Private messages to gain peoples opinoins, starting a thread may just lead to the happy and angry camps clashing, rather than helping you come to a decision.

The choice in true gameshow style..... is up to you..
N/A

Doesn't it say somewhere when signing up that you will have to pay over the 5 year period? I remember reading it when I signed up.

Although as far as I know, you still have to pay for the £50 odd even if you leave within the first 45 days.
N/A

It's misleading the way the information is presented. "Free activation" is plastered everywhere and it is presented as an option priced at £0.00 with a monthly contract. Looking round, free activation and a free modem seems fairly standard - why would you bother signing up with someone who wanted to charge you about £75 for this? Over a year that's an extra £6 a month, far more than the differential between subscriptions. May just have to cancel the payments and challenge them to pursue me, but let' s see what they say first.
N/A

Ahh, just saw that ^_^
N/A

May just have to cancel the payments and challenge them to pursue me, but let' s see what they say first.

Bad idea. You'll never get your MAC code if you do that Sad
Metalguru
Grafter

Interestingly it seems that an ISP cannot reasonably refuse to provide a customer with a MAC code unless the request is not made by the account holder or the contract has already been terminated and the connection ceased. Withholding to force debt collection is not a valid reason according to Ofcom, although the customer isn't freed from contractual obligations associated with the ISP.

Full article here : -

http://www.uk-bug.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=421
N/A

It's misleading the way the information is presented.

Not that misleading.

The product page says

Special offer! Free setup now available - save up to £80. (Find out more)

Which links to this.

Seems clear to me.
Community Veteran

homeaga1n,

that is a voluntary code of practice and signing up for it is also voluntary.

PlusNet have not signed up to it, contrary to what it states, so it does not apply.

The article is also out of date. The official page and list of ISPs that have signed up can be found on the OFCOM website here.
N/A

It's misleading the way the information is presented. "Free activation" is plastered everywhere and it is presented as an option priced at £0.00 with a monthly contract. Looking round, free activation and a free modem seems fairly standard - why would you bother signing up with someone who wanted to charge you about £75 for this? Over a year that's an extra £6 a month, far more than the differential between subscriptions. May just have to cancel the payments and challenge them to pursue me, but let' s see what they say first.

not a fan of it but if you signed up to +net and its now active or on the way if you leave in the 45 days you got to pay for modem and connection....but to be fair this is whati t cost them to get you on here and also its in the terms and conditions so if you did not read them then the only person you have to blame is yourself....as you wouldn't take out a credit card, loan or a morgage without fully reading the terms and conditions.
Metalguru
Grafter

homeaga1n,

that is a voluntary code of practice and signing up for it is also voluntary.

PlusNet have not signed up to it, contrary to what it states, so it does not apply.

The article is also out of date. The official page and list of ISPs that have signed up can be found on the OFCOM website here.

I only went by what that web page says, and +net are on their list.

The code of practice is a voluntary and therefore is not relevant to all ISP's. Service providers who have signed up to the code are:

Andrews & Arnold Entanet Nildram Virgin.net
AOL Freedom2Surf Pipex Vispa
BT (Broadband & Yahoo!) InterVivo PlusNet VNL Ltd (HomeChoice)
Bulldog LCC Communications Ltd Spitfire Wanadoo UK
Community Internet Mailbox Internet Telefonica UK Zen Internet
Easynet Netplan Internet Solutions Thus (Demon)
Eclipse Internet MetroNet Uniworld Communications Ltd

Did +Net sign up to it ....... then change their mind ?

Perhaps you had better tell +net that they are being mis represented on that site.
Community Veteran

No they didnt sign up to it.

Chris
N/A

not a fan of it but if you signed up to +net and its now active or on the way if you leave in the 45 days you got to pay for modem and connection....but to be fair this is whati t cost them to get you on here and also its in the terms and conditions so if you did not read them then the only person you have to blame is yourself....as you wouldn't take out a credit card, loan or a morgage without fully reading the terms and conditions.

I did read the actual terms and conditions. What I didn't read was the link from the page where you select your products. A lot of other ISPs give away free modems and will activate for free - seems more or less standard - so I took "Free" and "£0.00" alongside an option at face value.

Your analogies to cards and loans is not a particularly good one, not least because of the scale of commitments entered into. A closer analogy would be if a credit card company offered you "free" card protection but then tried to back charge you a load of premiums when some time later you tried to close your account.

What the actual T's & C's do say though is that under the Distance Selling Regulations I am entitled to cancel within 7 days and this is precisely what I intend to do. Presumably this was introduced precisely to protect from "catches" that are not immediately apparent to the consumer.
N/A

The Distant Selling Regulations do not however remove your obligation to repay non-refundable charges.

These include 3rd party fee's such as delivery charges, charges to activate lines and charges for services already used (these can include a whole month, if charged on a month or part theirof basis).
N/A

I was activated three days ago and after experiencing the service (BB+) and reading posts on here decided to leave. I submitted a 'ticket' (found in Contact Us section) and was contacted by phone within the hour. I have paid the deferred activation charge and was given a MAC code to migrate within minutes. I am returning the modem under the distance selling regulations by means of a returns 'bag' that PlusNet are presumably sending me.