cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden Charges

N/A

Hidden Charges

I have just looked over my credit card bills over the last quarter and was astonished to see that you have charged me £45 plus VAT to renew one of my domain names. I spoke to 'James 1003' (apparently your staff don't have surnames) who told me that because the domain was transferred in and not registered by yourself then the fee is applicable. Is this correct? I will be very angry if so, as I was never made aware of this charge when opening my account. This is a hidden charge - my other 'free' domain does not cost anything to renew. James was also very cheeky to me on the phone.
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Hidden Charges

Our accounts come with free domain names. On your account you still have an available slot for another free domain.

Any domain names that are transferred in, are not free domains and are handled in the normal domain name fashion. i.e. That if we are not informed they will be renewed, to keep your site active and you the user will be charged our standard fee.

We give all our users the choice of whether they wish to allow us to renew the domain name through our domain name tool. If you had notified us through this tool, not to renew the domain name then we would not have done so.

Speaking to Dave (1003), no offence was ment and if you feel upset by your conversation with him, he offers his apologises.

Kind Regards

Kevin Revill (1009)

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

What is the difference between a 'free' domain and a transferred in domain. I don't need another domain so can't you just change my existing setup so they're both free? Surely this doesn't cost you any more, so why should I have to pay more?

> Our accounts come with free domain names. On your account you still have an available slot for another free domain.
>
> Any domain names that are transferred in, are not free domains and are handled in the normal domain name fashion. i.e. That if we are not informed they will be renewed, to keep your site active and you the user will be charged our standard fee.
>
> We give all our users the choice of whether they wish to allow us to renew the domain name through our domain name tool. If you had notified us through this tool, not to renew the domain name then we would not have done so.
>
> Speaking to Dave (1003), no offence was ment and if you feel upset by your conversation with him, he offers his apologises.
>
>
>
> Kind Regards
>
>
> Kevin Revill (1009)
>
> --
> | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>

N/A

This is simply how our system works. We allow a user to register a new domain name free of charge if they have an available free domain name slot available on their account.

Any domain names transferred in are outside of the free domain name offer and are treated as normal domain names.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

What PlusNet charge with relation to domain names is extortionate to say the least. Buy them at UKReg.com for about £10 for 2 years and that includes email AND web forwarding.

PlusNet, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
N/A

> What PlusNet charge with relation to domain names is extortionate to say the least. Buy them at UKReg.com for about £10 for 2 years and that includes email AND web forwarding.
>
> PlusNet, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Our charges aren't the cheapest around for domains but I would like to point out that we are an ISP offering a range of services unlike companies such as UKReg. However I believe management are looking into the possibility of lowering the cost of registration.

Regards,
Robert

| Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
rslsys
Grafter

I thought this one got knocked on the head a few weeks ago. Everyone up in arms at £45 charge. Users threatening to transfer domain names just before renewal to Easily etc. and then transfer back afterwards. I thought I remembered reading a PlusNet announcement promising registration fees at around the £15 mark. Maybe I was dreaming. . .

> > What PlusNet charge with relation to domain names is extortionate to say the least. Buy them at UKReg.com for about £10 for 2 years and that includes email AND web forwarding.
> >
> > PlusNet, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
>
>
> Our charges aren't the cheapest around for domains but I would like to point out that we are an ISP offering a range of services unlike companies such as UKReg. However I believe management are looking into the possibility of lowering the cost of registration.
>
> Regards,
> Robert
>
> | Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
>

N/A

WOW - I got a result.

Spoke to Nigel Airey at plus.net who agreed to charge me domain renewal at cost price (£5.80 inc VAT). Well done Nigel - finally found someone helpful on the support line. Just goes to show how much ca$h plus.net make on domain renewals....

> I thought this one got knocked on the head a few weeks ago. Everyone up in arms at £45 charge. Users threatening to transfer domain names just before renewal to Easily etc. and then transfer back afterwards. I thought I remembered reading a PlusNet announcement promising registration fees at around the £15 mark. Maybe I was dreaming. . .
>
> > > What PlusNet charge with relation to domain names is extortionate to say the least. Buy them at UKReg.com for about £10 for 2 years and that includes email AND web forwarding.
> > >
> > > PlusNet, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
> >
> >
> > Our charges aren't the cheapest around for domains but I would like to point out that we are an ISP offering a range of services unlike companies such as UKReg. However I believe management are looking into the possibility of lowering the cost of registration.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robert
> >
> > | Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> > | Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
> > | PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
> > + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
> >
>
>

N/A

>>>Spoke to Nigel Airey at plus.net who agreed to charge me domain renewal at cost price (£5.80 inc VAT).

Now the cat's amongst the pigeons. I was charged £52.88 just last month, does this mean I am now going to get a refund of the difference if I complain enough?

--
Regards,
Mark Henderson.
(thetop)
www.sussexbridalcars.co.uk
N/A

I have a number of domain names registered through a cheap registrar(at c.£3.80/year).If Plusnet's prices were comparable I would be more than willing to use them simply for registering.I registered about 15 names 18 months ago with a slighly more expensive(yet still 'cheap' registrar) at a total cost of roughly £120 for 2years with mail forwarding &c.At £45/year that would have cost me about £700,which is far too much for simply parking some names that might never get used(and mostly never did).
I'm aware that full web hosting is much more expensive than simply registering,but not everyone who registers a domain is in a position to have it hosted immediately.
If there *was* an option to register domains
relatively cheaply without immediate hosting,but with the option to upgrade later, I'm sure this would be popular.
N/A

Support,
Please answer my post above.
Thanks.

--
Regards,
Mark Henderson.
(thetop)
www.sussexbridalcars.co.uk
N/A

Hi,
Apologies for missing this.
Our charges for .uk domains are charged at £45+vat for 2 years. We can not offer domains at cost price.
Thanks
Chris
--
| Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------