cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi there be nice I am a complete newbie! download limits

N/A

I was on a 1mb package with no download limits and wifey in her wisdom decided to go the same package as her dad ie plus not premier. Whats the simple lowdown on what I can do , is that a 1gb download limit for the whole month, is it 1gb max in anyone go etc. I see that it says peak times which i believe are 08:00 - 00:00 so after that time is there limits!

Sorry to be a pain I just am trying to get my head round it all! I wanted an unlimited accvount but sam (my wife) and her dad checked which etc and said plus.net had the best connection speeds etc?

thanks for anyones help

Peter
8 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Hi there. Sorry about that. Cry

The Plus info page says:
Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads. As a guideline, Broadband Plus is designed for around 5GB usage at peak times per month. If you think you need more than this, or you use peer-to-peer on a regular basis, take a look at Broadband Premier or Broadband Pay As You Go.

It's quite hard to do 5GB on Plus, given that Plus is the first thing to be throttled when it's busy , but some people have been warned for exceeding it, so I suppose it's possible.

Peak time is 4pm to midnight every day at the moment.

But if you do anything other than surf a bit and send the odd email, then I'd think about disobeying your wife and her dad and getting Premier.
N/A

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forums.

Have a look at the information from the UserGroup site here and further information available on that site.

It should help explain things for you.

If you have any queries, post back.
JonathanW
Grafter

Peak time is 4pm to midnight every day at the moment.

Actually, on Plus peak time is from 8am to midnight, for the 5GB guideline figure. Though off peak there's a seperate guideline of 50GB.
N/A

thanks all is the peak time going to be changing for plus?? read that its being thought about?
N/A

peak time

peak time is allday long.. (nice peak eh)

so in reality, there's no peak in the peak.

it would be cheaper for plusnet to pay for a better network, than to pay for customer support, throttling sytems, and customers leaving.

It's not sustainable... and whoever decided to scrap the last bandwidth management system knew that too.

BT's network is contended. if plusnet can't cope with the loading, after contention has occured, then plusnet network is just sadly incapable...

the SUP is there to get high usage users to move away from plusnet, leaving the main customer base to become people who pay but don't use much.
(don't buy/use added value services either)

Surely plusnet should encourage intenet use, not add barriers.. ?

...and in the end, customer support team has to handle the customer aggro..
JonathanW
Grafter

The costs of traffic management, as far as buying the kit and getting it configured, is about the same as paying for a single 155mbps BT Central for a year. If left unchecked, a handful of people, paying £21.99 a month, could use the bandwidth provided by that pipe and cause us as a company to loose money. That is what isn't sustainable.

BT contention generally doesn't have an impact, unless there's an issue in your specific exchange in which case you might see some slowdowns there. Which is why we, as the ISP, have to take steps to ensure that the majority of our customers get the service they are paying for.
N/A

What Plus Net are currently doing is sustainable and they are ensuring the sustainability of their netwrok going forwards.

What is not sustainable is the heavy use of P2P and other apps for downloading large amounts of the internet. Bandwidth costs, and people paying £14.99 or £21.99 can only expect a certain amount of the pie.

Traffic management or hard caps are being applied by isp's across the world in an effort to ensure the sustainability of their networks and products.

If management and sustainability werent introduced then there woud be no support team to deal with anything, because without forward thinking there would be no Plus Net.
N/A

contention

BT's 50:1 contention never really has an impact?

Why would anyone sell a 20:1 package then?

plusnet has this 40:1 contention in place, that was explained as actually not doing anyting because of the 50:1 contention on BT's line,, are we now saying this is no the case?