cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here we go again....

Community Veteran

Here we go again....

Well, whatever piece of blu tack BT used to fix my speed problem last time, must have gotten damp and fallen off..

Speeding along quite happily until around 8/8:30pm last night, and it was as though someone pushed the slow button...

Two BT speed tests (one at gone midnight to satisfy BT's nocturnal requirements) reveal the dizzy heights of 14 kilobits and this morning 9 kilobits..

This wasn't gradual slow down during the evening - it was bang, all of a sudden slow / non existent

Ticket raised, in the hope that I dont get asked to perform any more tests, as the five in the last fortnight or so showing speeds of 4 to 27 kilobits should hopefully be enough to get some spanner monkey round to the Chesterfield exchange. Which incidentally has been RED status for about 6 months, with a VP upgrade date of 1st September last year.

Any chance that this "special relationship with BT" can be used to assist the residents of this "historic market town" (or so it says on a dozen signs), and their exchange that seems to be made of wood at present?

Come on PN, it got fixed once - just ask BT to do the same again, and all will be fine...

Ta,
Chris.
53 REPLIES
N/A

Here we go again....

Sorry for you mate, only just had this fixed the first time a few weeks ago didn't you? Sad
Community Veteran

Here we go again....

Yup - about two weeks ago today.

I bet it has just been a matter of time until the status of this exchange affected myself. I reckon there will be other people in Chesterfield that have been suffering long before myself.

Leaving an exchange in Red status for over 6 months is just ridiculous. The VP upgrade date was 1st September last year!.

Typical customer service from a monopoly such as BT. It amazes me that the providers of the service have no direct line to the provisioners of it.

I can call the headquarters of the manufacturer of both my cars, and bypass the dealer (where I take them for a service etc) - so why cant customers contact BT wholesale who provision the broadband??

Answer, becasue their service is that pathetic, they daren't allow it. So instead of fixing the pathetic service, they hide behind ISP's and carry on providing pathetic levels of service.

I feel sorry for the guys at all ISP's, never mind Plusnet, that must get it in the neck every day from thousands of customers, whose problems lay with BT.

Keep it up guys - one day BT may get the hang of this customer service lark... :lol:
N/A

Re: Here we go again....

Ticket raised, in the hope that I dont get asked to perform any more tests, as the five in the last fortnight or so showing speeds of 4 to 27 kilobits should hopefully be enough to get some spanner monkey round to the Chesterfield exchange..

i bet you do get asked to do another speed test, it is the automatic response cs always give to somebody with speed issues :roll:

and spanner monkey is quite a derogatory term to use for describing an engineer or practical worker, makes us sound thick
prichardson
Grafter

Here we go again....

Hi,

My tip. Ensure you have said you have done the three tests, clearly stating the times (no need for results).

As part of speed fault reports, we need written confirmation that you have tried the following.

1: disabling any firewalls, internet security software and anti-virus software as a temporary measure.

2: monitor for disconnects, to ensure it is a speed fault and not a more serious issue.

3: were possible ensure it isn't the browser software by trying an alternate.

4: ensure it isn't your cabling and splitters.

5: were possible trying alternate adsl hardware and computer.
we appreciate this isn't possible for most people, but it most definatly helps when BT try to clear it on CPE (your hardware) grounds.

6: the most important one is to leaqve your equipment plugged in powered on.

It ammazes me how many people either refuse to do this, or feel it isn't appropriate. In a nut-shell, you wouldn't ask for a TV repaired and refuse to hand the TV over to inspect. Although there is nothing physical to be checked, line tests do have to take place.

The more information we get on what checks you will do, and advising us the equipment will remain powered on, the quicker it will progress and the sooner we can reject a problem if the BT faults system has a little britain moment and says "no".

Kind Regards,
Community Veteran

Here we go again....

Thats some good advice Phil.

Still doesn't stop you guys taking the flak for something that isn't your fault though - I bet you sometimes wish you could put the customers through to BT! LOL. :lol:

I didn't actually state that I had tried all the above in my ticket, but I did, hence why I refferenced a previous ticket. I hope this is OK.

Its no big issue if I have to run some more stuff, or if the internet is down when I get home today, its the largest distraction at present from quite a few jobs that need to be done! :lol:
Community Veteran

Here we go again....

The reply recieved now puts me in somewhat of a predicament....

Please ensure that you have tried the following :-

1. That your system has been scanned for virus' - ensure your software has the latest definitions and try an online scan at http://housecall.antivirus.com

2. That you have tested the connection when plugged directly into your master phone socket and all other telephony devices are detached ie nothing else is connected to the phone circuit. This is very important and failure to perform may result in abortive BT callout charges. Let us know if the speed is equally slow in this instance.

3. Can/have you tested an alternate modem/router or test your equipment at any ADSL enabled location?

4. Please also ensure you have checked for trojans and spyware on your system (or any other pcs on your network if there is one) to ensure that these are not causing any complementary traffic which may be slowing your system down.

5. If you are running a wirless network, ensure it is secured from external access so that no one else can use your connection.

6. That you've tested the connection with all firewalls lowered to see if this helps.

If you can confirm you have tried this and are happy to accept the possibility that BT may charge you £45+vat if no fault is found, we will happily forward this to BT.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am at work. I dont know if it is working at home now.

If it is, then it is an intermittent fault, so will I be charged as they will no doubt say "no fault found - cough up". Until next time it happens..

The only way I can tell, is by waiting until I go home, and if it isn't working, then I cant reply to the mail to agree. LOL

It is also strange that I did not have to agree to anything like this last time - so did PN actually fix it, or was it an intermittent fault that resolved itself before PN even got round to raising it? Can some helpful chap confirm in my open ticket, as this may help me decide whether to agree to this pottential charging or not.

Can I raise a "intermittent" issue without running the risk of some spanner monkey at BT paying lip service to the issue, and because its not suffering at the exact moment he inspects the line, he says "no fault ere mate" and despatches a nice invoice..
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Here we go again....

Hi,

You can raise at as intermittant and so long as you've followed all the tests and any instructions that come back from BT Wholesale then you wouldn't get charged. The charge is really only levied in cases were people have said they've done something and clearly haven't. For example, we ask you to swap the filter, you say you have but haven't really and the engineer comes out swaps the filter and it works.

If the speed is so low that you can't reply to the ticket then you can always call in and the support team can send the ticket on to the fault guys.

Fingers crossed it will be fixed shortly.
Community Veteran

Here we go again....

Well - just tried when I got home and nothing, couldnt even load the page where you pres "go" on the speed test. Had my dinner, went to my saxophone lesson, came back and tried again - 714 kilobits.

Then 2 minutes later when I have changed the settings in thr router to connect back to PN, its back to a paltry 3/4 KB/s again...

There is clearly some serious issue with the Chesterfield exchange in my view.

I have replied to the ticket stating the facts above, hopefully BT will look at the exchange and see what is causing the errors.

On a slightly different note, I thought PN were supposed to be investing in more agents to answer the phones?

I tried calling twice tonight, once around 6.20pm, and once about 8:30 pm.

The call waiting times (according to the prerecorded messages) were 30 minutes and 35 minutes!! That is absolutely awful, and in my view completely unnacceptable service.

One support desk I used to manage (with around the same size customer base, maybe 10/20% larger) had call answering targets of 80% answered within 20 seconds, yes 20 seconds.

The others I led had targets of 98% in 30 seconds and 80% in 30 seconds.

Seriously, half an hour to answer the phone, that doesnt even come close to the service people should expect. Not for a company posting multi million pound profits. Its disgusting. Is this another sign of running at the bare minimum to maximise profit at the expense of service?

Its been asked time and time again, but what is being done to resolve this? Its been going on for months.
LiamM
Grafter

Here we go again....

This site is pretty helpful for showing latency / connection issues.

www.l8nc.com

Signup is free (currently - it's in beta), and you set it to ping your ip address every second and it gets plotted on a graph to show latency issues, packet loss, connection dropouts etc...

An example graph, here is mine :

http://www.l8nc.com/graph.php?jid=9fab8e481fad78d19ccef5a2ba2ff66a

Could be handy?
Community Veteran

Here we go again....

Just had the following update on the issue:

2006-02-24
15:55:15
xxxxxxxxxxx
Customer Support Centre Assigned : [internal]
Speed Tester Database Check Service ID xxxxxxxxxx
CBUK ID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Directory Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lookback Days Lookback 5 days

Start Time Throughput IP Address Browser Operating System
23/02/06 20:54:14 713 217.47.73.155 MS IE 6.0 Windows XP
23/02/06 08:04:27 9 217.47.73.155 MS IE 6.0 Windows XP
23/02/06 00:20:38 13 217.47.73.155 MS IE 6.0 Windows XP

Raising to BT

Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Does that mean to say it has taken since about 9.30pm last night until almost 4pm today to forward this to BT?

EDIT: I have now also been asked to leave the equipment powered up and connected - as I am away for the weekend, I will leave it plugged into the master socket with nothing else connected, but should I leave it connected to the speed test domain, or the PN one (which will time out after 30 mins as I am on BB+) or does this make no difference?

Ta,
Chris
Community Veteran

Here we go again....

If you have a router you can just leave that on Chris!

*EDIT*
For clarity, I know from experiance, as I had a problem for quite some time that required me to leave equipment powered up. I asked and it was confirmed that leaving the router on with the normal PN details would be fine. Wink
Community Veteran

Here we go again....

Great program Liam, thanks!
Community Veteran

Here we go again....

Thanks Ian, Ill leave it powered on and in the master socket.

Cheers,
Chris (fingers crossed) B.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Here we go again....

if I were you I would also go into your account and disable the time out function (I assume that still works)