cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a really good suggestion...

N/A

....stop addressing people by using Dear Customer, within the ticket system. I do not know another company that adopts such an informal and overly-detached greeting.

In my opinion, as I have not canvassed other users, people who are in need of (technical) assistance like to be put at ease and feel like they are a person and not another set of bank details. As you have this ticketing system, it loses the personal aspect that a normal telephone conversation provides therefore you have to portray your intent, ideas and emotions through the medium of text, which is difficult. Referring to your fee-paying client as Dear Customer is the worst example of bad 'speech' i have to deal with.

I realise that this has been dragged through the forums before but Mr Technical Person suggested that I use this medium to portray my feelings. Why? Can't he/she say 'OK'. Procedures, terms, conditions and small print certainly do help companies thrive but at the end of the day, if a customer can't feel like you care then they'll go to someone else who can.

Cheers
Customer #000153124 Huh? Smiley
3 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

I thought this had been adressed before actually. From looking at some of my Contact Us tickets, some do begin "Dear Colin" and some begin "Dear Customer" and its not even consitent across staff members as one refers to me as Dear Colin, in one reply and Dear Customer in another.

Personally, I agree with this, if the customer name is known from the reply without the staff having to go and look it up, then it should be "Dear whoever" but failing that, "Dear Customer".
N/A

For what it's worth I don't see the value in 'Dear anything' or 'Regards' in Contact Us. We've mostly ditched the convention here.

Seeing as all messages in Contact Us are displayed in a single table on the portal, and the email version is wrapped in a template, I think message text followed by signature of the form
--
Name
Job title

looks the most professional.
N/A

Why bother with anyting, just treat it as a bot, most of the time you rarely get direct acknowledgement anyway.

Even if you put a "thank you" or any other plesantry in it's totally ignored.

Treat em like machines, most of the time they only go through the motions anyway.