cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is some Information on the new load balancing hardware

N/A

Anyone interested in the new Plusnet load balancing hardware may want to have a look at http://www.ellacoya.com/ for the marketing blurb.....

and maybe at
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12280534~start=40 for some other users of this kit.......
16 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Fascinating. Looks like they'll be able to exercise all the detailed control they want to and slow down their spending on extra capacity.

And I like this bit:
Most Ellacoya customers achieve a cash flow break even on their Ellacoya investment in less than 12 months.
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

I love this quote from
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12280534~start=40

Instead of bitching, why don't you guys switch to another Inet provider?

As long as you guys are still paying them, there is no way they're going to stop this bandwidth shaping.

It's something I don't understand myself:
if you are outside your 12 month contract, why are you still paying money to a company whose products you think are inferior to its competitors, and who you no longer trust?
channel
Grafter

There are lots of reasons people may not leave despite being unhappy; the aggravation involved in changing email addresses/moving webspace/having to go through the migration process, etc.

However, that doesn't mean that they won't ever leave. It would be wrong to be smug about the fact that you have a lot of unhappy and complaining customers who haven't left..... yet.

For my own part, I am waiting for the much heralded announcement on Thursday and I will reasses. If I don't like it, then I won't be leaving straight away anyway, as I will have to wait for UK Online to unbundle at my exchange (due in a couple of months.) In the meantime, I will put up with a throttled service from plus net in the short term.

Hopefully, you now understand a little better.
Community Veteran

Indeed - I have submitted an email to UK-Online (my exchange is enabled) asking for clarification on a couple of points - then I will be off also.

Also its an "Unlimited" service (for those of us not able to get 4mb+), remember those days....
Alecto
Grafter

Knowing nothing about UK Online, I nipped off to ADSL Guide.
The first post I came across started

As you will be well aware by now, there are a growing number of very dissapointed customers here on this forum. I'm sure we'd all like to know just what the hell is going on at UKO ? Because from a customers perspective it seems to be a complete fiasco.

I'm generally a very patient guy but when I pay out money for something online I expect some sort of response from the company about when I will receive my goods or service. UKO took my money instantly and then I receive no communication until five days later simply thanking me for my order and telling me it would be approx two weeks! before I would be connected? Since then I have heard nothing except from you and that was just telling me BT are processing my order

This looks quite familiar :!:
They're not in my exchange anyway, but are you sure they're any better than Pn?
channel
Grafter

Every ISP has its problems. Even Plus Net gets the occasional gripe in the ADSLguide forums, even though Plus Net send the lawyers in whenever anything remotely negative is posted on the front page.

Plus Net is now pursuing the Tiscali/Wanadoo/BTYahoo business model - mass userbase, lowish quality service, when in the past it was pursuing the Zen/Eclipse/Nildram model - techy users, more bespoke service.

As Plus Net seems determined to become the new Tiscali, I need to re-evaluate my options. It seems to me that if I am going to be with a mass market ISP, then I may as well just go for the cheapest. I have a 512k line with Attenuation of 59db and an SNR of between 9 and 12. So there will be no speed upgrade for me.

PN 512k with unspecified capping = £21.99 pcm
UKO 512k Unlimited = £9.99 pcm

Even if UKO is slightly worse than PN in terms of customer service, I can probably stomach that in return for a 55% discount on my monthly bill. After all, if the connection works in the first place, there's no need to use customer service at all. I have about 6 tickets from the last two years with PN!
Community Veteran

Out of interest, is there anywhere I can see when UK Online / Easynet will unbundle an exchange? I can only see that my exchange isn't done, although Bulldog have unbundled my exchange (and no Im not thinking of cancelling with PlusNet ATM, BTW)

Chris
channel
Grafter

There's a sticky at the top of the Easynet/UKOnline forum at ADSL guide. It lists all the exchanges unbundled in the last fortnight and then lists all the exchanges already unbundled. There's also a link within the same post which points you to a list on the UK Online website showing all the exchanges which will be unbundled by the end of May.
Community Veteran

Mines not on the list Sad
N/A

And from what I can see absolutely none in Lincolnshire.
Community Veteran

Why the need for LLU - try efhbroadband for 512k at £9.99

Ive asked UKOnline how they intend to get 4mb down my line when the bt checker says that I can only have 1mb at a push - and that my line stats sugest a maximum of 1mb.
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, channel.

There are lots of reasons people may not leave despite being unhappy; the aggravation involved in changing email addresses/moving webspace/having to go through the migration process, etc.

Point taken. It would be a nightmare for me to move.

However, that doesn't mean that they won't ever leave. It would be wrong to be smug about the fact that you have a lot of unhappy and complaining customers who haven't left..... yet.

I don't believe there are a lot of unhappy and complaining customers,
I believe there are a few unhappy customers who are complaining a lot.

For my own part, I am waiting for the much heralded announcement on Thursday and I will reasses. If I don't like it, then I won't be leaving straight away anyway, as I will have to wait for UK Online to unbundle at my exchange (due in a couple of months.)

Maybe by then, the PlusNet LLU package will be live... :roll:
channel
Grafter

I don't believe there are a lot of unhappy and complaining customers, I believe there are a few unhappy customers who are complaining a lot.

If that's how you see it, then fair enough; I understand why you hold your view. Personally, though, I disagree with your observations. I am seeing a much greater number of individuals upset on these and other boards than I have seen before, so my impression is very different. Notably, I am seeing a large number of former fanboys start questioning their previously religious fervour and dedication to the Church of Plus Net. (Present company excepted, obviously!)

Maybe by then, the PlusNet LLU package will be live... :roll:

My guess is that Plus Net won't be rolling out their own LLU.... just reselling from UK Online in the same way that they have resold from BT in the past. I'll wait and see what the deal is, but I don't imagine PN will be any cheaper than just dealing direct with the supplier.

EDITED: To fix quote.
N/A

Point taken. It would be a nightmare for me to move.

No-one should allow themselves to be held hostage by the administrative side of changing ISP. It's easy and cheap to register a domain name and there are free mail and web forwarding services to enable you to keep the same email and web address wherever you go.

I don't believe there are a lot of unhappy and complaining customers,
I believe there are a few unhappy customers who are complaining a lot.

True. But we don't know how many people are lurking. And we assume there will be plenty who don't understand what's going on. And plenty more who don't care about FUP or Contention as long as their connection seems to be ok. The majority is always silent - either because it is happy, or blissfully unaware, or prepared to let others fight the battles. In general, I imagine that PlusNet would not be unhappy to lose all the customers who have posted here in the past week - on the basis that yes, they are a minorty and they also include a good number of heavy users.

Simon