cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping a mate with a dead LLU connection

N/A

A friend on PlusNet was LLUed this week after long-term stable ADSL, and promptly lost his connection. I have tried offering some basic help over the phone, to no avail. So I shall travel over to see him and see what can be done.

The first step would seem to be to try an alternative to his DLink DSL 300-T. But does anyone have any tips about settings issues etc. that might be useful?
11 REPLIES
N/A

Check the connection setings. encapsulation should be VC/MUX but BT would work if LLC was selected AFAIK.
N/A

Noted, ta. Any more suggestions?
N/A

N/A

Thanks for those who replied/PMed me about this. Correcting the settings on the modem got his new LLU connection working.

I'm only envious now that he's now getting far faster speeds that me, despite the fact that my BT ADSL synchs at a higher rate (his synch: 6000+; speed test around 4.5 / my synch: 7000+; speed tests around 2.3). Ah well.
N/A

That's BTW contention for you Wink
N/A

Hm. Well, I had one of those 'we may be moving you to another supplier' emails some time ago, so I shall doubtless be LLUed at some point.
N/A

I wouldn't hope for that to happen if I were you? he may have a faster speed during tests etc but if it's anything like mine the speeds will go up and down and gaming becomes almost impossible at times....
N/A

Thanks for those who replied/PMed me about this. Correcting the settings on the modem got his new LLU connection working.

I'm only envious now that he's now getting far faster speeds that me, despite the fact that my BT ADSL synchs at a higher rate (his synch: 6000+; speed test around 4.5 / my synch: 7000+; speed tests around 2.3). Ah well.

Would you mind letting us know what these settings are? This could be of great help to people in this forum, quite a few are experiencing problems with LLU.

In advance, thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

M.

P.S.: I'm using the tiny voyager 105 modem, do you think this could be an issue in the LLU context?
N/A

Check your connection is using the following setttingsSadalthough I did and it still didn't work)

VPI = 0, VCI = 38

ADSL Modulation: Auto or G.DMT

Encapsulation Mode: PPP over ATM (PPPoA - RFC2364) or VC-MUX - NOT LLC-Based or PPPoE

Authentication Mode: CHAP

Best of luck,

Paul
N/A

cheers, I'll ty tonight.

M.
Njal
Grafter

P.S.: I'm using the tiny voyager 105 modem, do you think this could be an issue in the LLU context?

According to BT:

http://www.faster.bt.com/faqs.asp#modem

"Upgrade to router recommended: These broadband modems can be expected to support maximum speeds of up to approx 4Mb, but faster speeds may not be possible. For best performance, ensure the latest drivers are installed (see manufacturers' websites). However, these devices do not provide the best internet experience as they require manual reconnection following any break in your broadband service, require your computer to be switched on all the time, and can only support a single computer on your broadband connection."

I've just bought a Speedtouch 546 in the hope of getting better than 4Mb at some unspecified future time! In fact more than 2 Mb would be good.

Regards
Neil