cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!!

chrisco
Grafter

Help!!!

I'm being bombarded with returned mail I haven't sent. It's obviously spam & today alone I've had about 40. Yesterday it was about 20, I'm not sure when it started as I've been away over Easter but it must have been sometime between 5th April & yesterday.Have looked at the help section & have done as suggested ie ran a virus check, I also ran Spybot & Adaware & apart from the odd trackie cookie nothing untoward was found. I use Outlook 2003 & have the junk mail filter for incoming mail set to delete rather than send to Junk mail folder, can't understand why the returned mail isn't going there as well, don't really want to blackhole the address as it's the main default, has anyone got any idea why this is happening & how to stop it? Sad
8 REPLIES
chrisco
Grafter

Help!!!

Do I need to raise a question?
aetos
Grafter

Help!!!

I got hit with 2000 last week, I tried to remove my postmaster account and still makes no difference
Raised a ticket but PN did not appear interested the last time this happened three weeks ago

surely this why PN are blacklisted on mail servers when they don't seem to interested in this.

I would prefer STMP authentication and if applied to all accounts my prevent rouge ussage of the system but this does not look as if it will happen

MArk
Ianwild
Grafter

Help!!!

Hi Mark,

SMTP auth would not prevent these at all I'm afraid... People could still send that purports to be addressed as from you. SPF may be the answer, but it's something the everyone has to run pretty much globally for it to work (And it's a pain).

It's not that we aren't interested for one second on this one guys, and I know just how annoying it is. It's a flaw of email and one that makes it increasingly less useful with the current technology.

We are doing as much as we can to combat spam and spammers, but fundamentally if a trustworthy mail server out there on the Internet generates a bounce addressed to you, it takes some doing for us to identify that it didn't come as a result of a genuine message you sent and therefore not deliver it.

Regards,

Ian
chrisco
Grafter

Help!!!

So how come email addresses become compromised in the first place, surely it must be a flaw in the security of the PN servers & surely it would be a good enough reason for customers to be able to change their user names from time to time?
aetos
Grafter

Help!!!

As instructed in a ticket that i raised on this issue previously i removed the postmaster account, i have 4 or 5 e-mail adddress that use and yet i am still recieving junk to all sorts of names@mydomain.plus.com

what about blackholing all except the required address.

I find this a pain as to identify spammers i would have used postmaster and altered the address i used when ordering but 2000 junk mails in a 5 days was too much for this luxury

MArk
Ianwild
Grafter

Help!!!

So how come email addresses become compromised in the first place, surely it must be a flaw in the security of the PN servers & surely it would be a good enough reason for customers to be able to change their user names from time to time?

It's most likely that someone who has your email address in their address book got a virus/spyware infection and as a result had all of their contacts harvested by a spammer. That's the cause of the vast majority of cases these days.

I'm sort of in agreeement that being able to change your username would be a good idea. I'm just worried that we would run out of useful usernames rather quickly (And they can never be reused). If it's a big issues for you, you could always sign up for a free account and use the email address from that.

Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

Help!!!

As instructed in a ticket that i raised on this issue previously i removed the postmaster account, i have 4 or 5 e-mail adddress that use and yet i am still recieving junk to all sorts of names@mydomain.plus.com

what about blackholing all except the required address.

MArk

You can request support to put the blackhole in place, and the tools to allow you to do this from our website *should* go live next Wednesday.

Ian
aetos
Grafter

Help!!!

Thanks Ian that would be of help

I run my own server and have 4 domains on it and the junk mail amounts to no more that 2 - 3 items per day and also have a STMP authorisation running

MArk