cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - various issues

Community Veteran

Help - various issues

Hi,

Sorry for starting a new topic about my connection, but I think the old one is a little long in the tooth and boring now.

I have tested a speed test this morning (just out of morbid curiosity) and received 800 kilobits as a result.

So true to form this fault looks to have mysteriously cured itself again.

However....

I looked at the stats in my router and it shows I am now connected at a rate of 2304 downstream, so the resolution of this fault seems to have coincided with my move to max DSL..

However speed tests are only showing a downstrem download rate compatible with 1mb - not the 2304 that my router is synched at - why is this?

Also - as this fault has dissappeared as soon as my connection was moved to MaxDSL, do you think this points the finger squarely at BT for my recent outages - and perhpas they should check out the DSLAM I was/am connecte to, in case other customers have been suffering the same fault?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Help - various issues

On further inspection something very weird has also happened to my line....

As far as I understood, as your speed increases - expect your SNR (signal noise ratio) to drop. Right?

Well before this change to my line, my stats were:

Speed: 1mb
Att: 57db
SNR: 12db

But now they are....

Speed: 2.3mb
Att: 57db
SNR: 17.9db

What?? My SNR has gone up (got better) after having a speed upgrade?

Does this mean I am in line for more than the 2304 it is currently synching at?

I almost fell off my chair when I saw over 2mb! never mind if it can go faster!
Mand
Grafter

Help - various issues

Hi

The speed could still increase, it is likely to fluctuate over the next few days.

You will probably only see 1mb speeds for the next couple of days, looking around the forums not many people are seeing the actual throughput increase immediately.

Glad to hear it's all fixed though Smiley
Community Veteran

Help - various issues

I think it squarely points the finger at BT though - either that or its one heck of a coincidence!

I understand after reading various posts that the actual thropughput may not change for a few days, but still the SNR going UP was a shock.

I think the exchange or my router is just teasing me with those line stats - Ill be very happy at 2.3mb! Cheesy
Mand
Grafter

Help - various issues

On another note, it would suggest that this was a BT issue, by the fact that as soon as the Max order completed the service started working. Unfortunately now it's fixed we're pretty limited as to finding out what the issue was, unless we have another customer on your exchange with the same problem it's likely to remain a mystery :?