cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - should I cancel BT visit

N/A

Ok I'm still having alot of issues with disconnects etc and have also noticed an issue with noise on the line.

I have put the phone system back to as simple as I can get it. That being

/-> Phone
Master Socket - > ADSL Filter -> Netgear DG834G

All situated right by the master socket so no extentions leads etc. Sky system unplugged for now

If I remove the filter and router and just use the phone the noise disappears. With the above setup I get constant noise on the line. I have tried 3 different filters - (2*ADSLNation x1Fe and 1 generic active filter). Sometimes there is no noise at all and I have no issues, however at random times the noise reoccurs and then so do the disconnetions.

I have BT coming tomorrow and there is a large charge if there is no fault found. Should I cancel? Have I missed anything obvious here?
50 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Are we talking about BT Retail or BT Wholesale here?
N/A

I dialled 151 and went through the fault checker. As it turns out they just phoned back and cancelled the visit as they can't find any issues so can you see any problem in the above setup I have? Could i possibly have 3 duff filters? Shocked
James
Grafter

Rather unlikely.

What happens when you plug various filters into your test socket?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is there any noise if you have just the phone plugged in to the filter?

Have you checked if the noise is still there if you use a different phone?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Rather unlikely.

What happens when you plug various filters into your test socket?

I don't have that luxury - its not one of the master sockets with the removable lower end.
N/A

Is there any noise if you have just the phone plugged in to the filter?

Have you checked if the noise is still there if you use a different phone?

Phone into filter = no noise

Different phone into filer = no noise

Plug router into filter and initially no noise until it starts to connect and then its like listening to Manic Miner load on a spectrum.
James
Grafter

If it's causing ADSL disconnections, then we can raise a fault through BT Wholesale if you have run all the standard checks.

BT Wholesale occasionally tell us that it looks to be a voice fault at which point you could reraise.

Entirely up to you Smiley

Running a quiet line test would sound like a sensible idea with just the phone connected though.
N/A

I don't know what to do to be honest. Will running a test through Wholesale cost me anything? At the moment I have unplugged the router so that the others in the house can have a decent phone conversation.

Appreciate your help and advice as always.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed full quote of previous post - it is unneeded and a breach of the link:rules.

edit: sorry old habit with quoting

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : No worries - eay done! Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Plug router into filter and initially no noise until it starts to connect and then its like listening to Manic Miner load on a spectrum.

Is there a chance you could borrow a known good filter and router to rule those out?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I'll ask around Elvin.
James
Grafter

I don't know what to do to be honest. Will running a test through Wholesale cost me anything? At the moment I have unplugged the router so that the others in the house can have a decent phone conversation.

Not if you have done the standard checks with your wiring and hardware. If we get to the point when an engineer would be sent out, there would be a potential charge, but not if you have run all the standard checks at your end.
N/A

I'll try a seperate router and filter first James just to iron that out. Will let you know how I get on.
James
Grafter

Great thanks.

Won't be in until Monday after today, so if you can let me know today, it would be helpful Smiley
N/A

I know your not in till Monday but I thought I'd update the thread to make things easier to track.

I wasn't able to obtain a different router but I have got hold of new filters. The issue with the bleed over to voice has disappeared at the moment so voice calls are back to normal again. Speeds are back up to synching at around 6000kbps. According the router I had one disconnect at around 23:30 yesterday and synched at 4700(+/-100)> I have manually rebooted the router this morning in a bid to get my profile lifted from 500kbps and have synched at 6656 (upload continues to synch at 448 - never had an issue with that).