cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand speed figures please

N/A

The BB fault checker says I can get 8000 kb/s with contention level shown as green.

The BT speedtest says 1800 kb/s!

The Actual speed as shown by Plusnet Speed test says less than 800 kb/s!

When I was on the 2 Mb/s service, I regularly got 1800kb/s on the speed test.

It's bad enough to have less than half the speed since the service supposedly got 4 times faster, but what really frustrates me is that I cannot understand the different figures given by the different diagnostic tests.

This is not just a moan... I genuinely want to understand where and why the discrepancies are occuring.
25 REPLIES
N/A

welcome to Plusnet!!!!
Community Veteran

Re: Help me understand speed figures please

When I was on the 2 Mb/s service, I regularly got 1800kb/s on the speed test.

If you remeber the noise margin your router reported when on 2Mb, bash the number into http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php and report back ...

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
shellsong
Grafter

Publish your line stats here (up and downstream attenuations, noise margins (SNR) and the relevent synch rates) and we'll see if we can help!
James
Grafter

You have (somehow) a 2mbps service. You also have a downstream line attenuation of 60dB. This is essentially the level of noise on your line, which would be high for a 1mbps service, and waaaay too high for a 2mbps service.

Do you get a number of disconnections on your line? I would normally expect that with the level of noise on your line that you're experiencing. Can you try unscrewing the face plate from your master socket and inserting your filter into the test socket on the bottom half? Also try a different microfilter would be really handy.

For what it's worth, you still appear to be on a 2mbps service. Are the speed results that you currently get on the BT Speedtster 1800kbps?
N/A

Hi James

I will try connection as suggested and post the result.

I have only had 2 occasions recently when I could not connect at all for a short time - I put this down to normal server maintenance.

I have never had a dropped connection once online.

As stated in my original post, the BT Speedtest is indeed 1800kb/s.

I am somewhat alarmed at your statement that I seem to be on a 2Mb/s service as it was upgraded around August time... indeed I used to get just under 4000kb/s on the PlusNet speed test. I thought that upgraded speed was a little disappointing, but the service I have now is far worse than the pre-upgrade!

If the service has inadvertently been downgraded, please can you have it restored to 8Mb/s as it should be?

Thanks

Alan Foster.
N/A

Hi James

Further info as promised:

My master socket is of the older type that does not have an internal test socket.

I have changed the filter and my modem and phone are connected through the filter directly to the master socket with no other extensions connected.

I have re-run the PlusNet speed test - still only 701kb/s!

Alan.
shellsong
Grafter

Publish your line stats here (up and downstream attenuations, noise margins (SNR) and the relevent synch rates) and we'll see if we can help!

Do you know how to obtain line stats from your modem? If you don't, tell us what modem you've got and we'll try to help you with it

Speedtests in general and the PlusNet one in particular tend not to be very informative because of inaccuracy and variability

Edit: I just ran the BBMax Speedtest and got 3710 Kbps while the PN one gave 1642 Kbps-- less than half the indication!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Instructions for getting stats from a lot of modems/routers can he found here.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Stats as follows (rec/send):

Attainable data rate - 10920/1172 kb/s
ATM data rate - 2272/288 kb/s
User data rate - 2058/261 kb/s
Latency path - fast/fast
Latency - 0/0
Frame coding rate - 32/32 kb/s
Trellis coding rate - 436/64 kb/s
Signal to noise - 28/27dB
Line attenuation - 64/16dB

Hope this is the info you guys wanted - any help much appreciated.

Alan.
shellsong
Grafter

There is something extremely strange about your stats! The attenuation says you should only be able to get about 1Mbps average or about 2 Mbps maximum but according to your present synch rate and SNR you ought to be able to get a full 8 Mbps without much problem

Such a combination of high attenuation and high SNR is most peculiar and almost out of my experience. Do you live near a large radio transmitter by any chance? I was just wondering whether you might be one of those rare people with a BT RF2 low pass rf filter on your line although they quite often clobber the SNR whilst raising the attenuation
N/A

No major RF or HVAC installations anywhere near me.

No heavy industrial or military stuff for miles.

Residential estate about 2km as the crow flies from the exchange.

Alan.
Community Veteran

Stats as follows (rec/send):
ATM data rate - 2272/288 kb/s

This one line tells us that you are on a normal 2Mb connection, you have not yet had the 'upgrade' to an 'upto 8Mb' connection like MaxDSL.

I vaguely recall if you go over to trials.plus.net and select the 'opt in to 8Mb broadband option' you will get it in about 7 days or so.

As others have said, the attenuation value reported by the router are odd and lets hope this is not an ominious sign for how good you will find MaxDSL.

Do you know anybody who has another brand of router you could borrow and just check what it thinks about your line before getting the 8Mb upgrade?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

With dodgy stats there's no way I'd go near MaxDSL!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shellsong
Grafter

His SNR seems healthy enough but the attenuation indicates that he's got about 4.6 Km of line covering that 2 Km journey to the exchange