cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help for newby

N/A

Help for newby

Hi everyone,

Can you help me? What is the best way of connecting 3 different offices, in different towns, to plusnet. What I like to have is a common email system or broadband connection. I know that I can redirect mail but that looks a bit ugly. Is this at all possible?

Any help would be appreciated

Chaz
15 REPLIES
N/A

Help for newby

sign all 3 of them up to plusnet?

then just use one of the accounts for mail systems, then run your own mail server that downloads all the mail, then use thunderbird / outlook to connect to that to get all the mail from it.. or jus connect to the PN mail server using the mail account from one account on the other two.

eg have

sitea
siteb
sitec

set sitea to have 3 inboxs sitamail,sitebmail and sitecmail, then have your mail client login to sitea+siteXmail (for which ever site you are on)
Community Veteran

Help for newby

agreed that you'll need to sign up all three sites. Not sure if Plusnet do a business package that would allow you do have three sites on one account. I only use domestic connections.

For your e-mail set up all the addressess you want but use the imap server option not the pop3.

using Imap means that you can access all your mail anywhere in the world and it will be sync'd with your mail program.

I have all my mail sorted into folders ans no matter where i access the mail is there. You can use imap with webmail and normal mail programs. Don't even go down the route of pop3.

also imap means that if someone calls you up and your in site a you can access all the info wihout problem.

Imap is the way to go. IMHO

R
N/A

Help for newby

The other thing that you might want to think about is buying routing modems with built in VPN (something like a Zyxel Prestige 662hw-61). You can thus interconnect the LANs in each of your offices in a private internal network.
N/A

Help for newby

Personally, I would advise that you try using IPCop to setup your equipment to run VPNs between the sites.

Quality product and very easy to install and configure.

Have a look at the link in my sig for more information.
N/A

Help for newby

Bob,

I dont know about ipcop as it gave me a lot of hassle for some bizzar reason. I settled for endian in the end as it went in soo smoothly a babies backside would find it tough to compete.

I am however baffled by the openVPN situation. I was rather hoping that a person would be able to dial in and then see what is shared on the network behind it ( if this makes sense ). I am starting to think that it is now a case of having to create accounts for people on a seperate machine and get endian to forward the requests.

Could you help on this matter at all? Via PM obviously lol.

I also like the proxy and content filter which is completely optional. Once again though I found a problem with streaming radio etc over it as media player didnt seem to like the proxy Sad

As for the OP, if you dont fancy using a machine to dedicate it to ipcop or endian, why not look at the D-Link DI-804HV which creates a VPN connection with another router ( same make ) if configured right ( manuals available for step by step instructions ).

Regards,
N/A

Help for newby

This kind of depends on having 3 old PCs that can be used for the job and enough time, patience and tecnical understanding to configure it all.

Pre-rolled solutions in a single box are easier for most folks to cope with and you can fall back on the manufacturers tech support if needed. The Zyxel I mentioned is a 4 port routing hub, wireless access point, SPI firewall, VPN gateway and has dial-up fall back capability (if ADSL goes AWOL). Setting this lot up using a Linux box and apps isn't trivial.
N/A

Help for newby

IPCop's been a real dream for me tbh although the Endian option is something I have also downloaded yet not gotten around to chucking on an old scrapper. But I do agree that the proxy and content filter may be handy at some stage, but the real draw for me is the inclusion of ClamAV......this weekend may turn out to be a write off for me as I start playing with Endian now I'm in the mood for it!! :lol: The wife WILL be chuffed!!! :lol:

Endian funnily enough is built on IPCop, so something strange seems to be afoot with the problems you are seeing.
The proxy components are the same I believe (both squid) and I have my IPCop box running proxy as a test and it works very well imho.

The OpenVPN component isnt something I've pratted about with as I use a Symantec VPN200R to do all "road warrior" nonsense with, but I'll have a butchers and see what I can do for you on that.

Again for the OP.....if you have cash to chuck about....see www.firebrick.co.uk for more info on another excellent little device which we use in the office.... Although you may be able to pick up the older SOHO or Plus versions on ebay for a song. They are just as good as the newer 105s but dont have DMZ capability built in. And they can talk to IPCop boxes too with the right additions... Cheesy
N/A

Help for newby

sptodd,

Isnt there a common problem though with 1 range of zyxel router?

As I mentioned above the D-Link DI-804HV also has dial up backup, VPN gateway ( not just pass through ), its a 4 port, but it lacks the wireless and modem side. The reason for this is cause its a router. I dont believe in trying to lump 1 device with all jobs so have shared them out a little bit lol.

Regards,
N/A

Help for newby

@tomspcs

I'm not dismissing the D Link, it may be at least as good a solution for the OP as the Zyzel BUT :-

1) It needs a routing modem to go with it
2) It has no fall back support of it's own (the modem/router needs to provide this)
3) The Zyzel ISN'T a 1 range (it's like comparing a 1 series BMW with a 7 series)
4) It doesn't just do VPN passthrough, it does VPN termination

see http://www.justzyxel.co.uk/product/P662HW.aspx
N/A

Help for newby

sptodd,

Isnt there a common problem though with 1 range of zyxel router?

As I mentioned above the D-Link DI-804HV also has dial up backup, VPN gateway ( not just pass through ), its a 4 port, but it lacks the wireless and modem side. The reason for this is cause its a router. I dont believe in trying to lump 1 device with all jobs so have shared them out a little bit lol.

Regards,

sptodd,

It has dial up backup. Although I would agree that it isnt any great speed it is at least enough to keep things going round.
N/A

Help for newby

I have to agree with the "sharing out the load" of devices theory.

To have one device for all functions is too much like all your eggs in one basket.

To that end, I have a Zoom X3 for router functions, a D-Link DI-524 for Wireless, a D-Link DGS-1008D as my switch, my IPCop for firewall and a Symantec VPN200R for "road warrior" access which also has a COM port for dial up failover.

Come to think of it.......THATS why my leckie bill is so godamn high!!!
N/A

Help for newby

with all that kit, surly it woulda been more cost effective to get some Cisco kit instead which is known to be amazing :p
N/A

Help for newby

Cisco and cost-effective in the same sentence....ROFL!!!!
avalon
Grafter

Help for newby

Now all you need Bob is an ellacoya to improve your users network experience. :lol: