cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - email bomber on my account!

LastRoMan
Grafter

someone has cottoned on to the fact that I have a 'alias@DOMAIN.plus.com and is bombing my email! How do I stop it - I had problems with OE so changed to Thunderbird at suggestion of someone on the forum.

I have had about 4,000 emails this morning - they come in groups of about 70 or 80 per subject heading or sender or recipient name. I found I could hardly delete them as fast as they were come in - I have had to close down the email client for now.

the last batch were using a sentence for the alias - quite nasty! They all have attachments in a zip file - none of the attachments have been opened of course - just trashed and deleted.

I can't limit my account to my default name because I have used the facility of having different aliases extensively.

Any suggestions please. I will raise a ticket with PN to see if they have any help but did not want to wait to get some feedback. :?:
20 REPLIES
N/A

Whilst CS are sorting this for you, try a pop client like mailwasher, which doesn't actually download any headers or message bodies, but does allow you to see the emails. This way you can filter and delete all the bombs/spam, before you actually try to download them in your email client. Here's a link, its free to use;

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,20000,00.asp

HTH
N/A

Get PN on the case immediately, maybe your get lucky and track the SOB down, then post his address up here and we all go visit him and say hello.
LastRoMan
Grafter

Thank you,
I have downloaded - set up and used Mailwasher - its fantasrtic.
I have also set up a Ticket with PN and they responded almost immediately - I am well impressed.

Smiley
Community Veteran

Also try e-mailing abuse@thegitsisp including headers ;-)
N/A

I'm also getting these - I copied the headers fromthe emails and passed them onto plusnet, so hopefully they'll also contact the offenders ISP and get him booted off.
LastRoMan
Grafter

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately I have been unable to get headers as I have recently changed to Mozilla Thunderbird email client after problems with OE and have not yet discoverewd where they keep them.

Also it is not quite as straightforward as sending to the senders ISP because they are spoofing their address including Webmaster@hotmail.com and post@cia.gov - even having the nerve to actually use the CIA's postal address and telephone number as a sig!

Conrad
N/A

Mozilla headers are under view/headers/all if that helps mate
N/A

see this thread for tracing e-mail messages.
MeMeMe
Grafter

If you can figure out how to use your email program's filters (do a search in Help on Filter), you could set this up:

If "To:" header is NOT (whatever your actual email is), then either Delete From Server, or Send To Spam folder (create a folder called spam).
The latter option tends to be quickest, irritatingly - but its easy to fdelete it all when it's all put in one folder.
N/A

this is a helpful link to report it to the ISP resonsible:

http://www.mailsbroadcast.com/email.bolts&nuts/deciphering.fake.email.htm

Turns out the ones I was getting originate from telefonica.es
LastRoMan
Grafter

Thanks for your support,

I am following these up - have found the headers through Mail Washer easy to copy and paste and have sent PN a sample or 5!. Will be reading how to decipher same via the link given.

I suspect I may have picked up a virus of the Sohar variety - this may have had an impact - but think I have now cleared it - will probably have to live with its legacy for a few days though!
N/A

plusnet will do nothing - take the initiative and complain to the offenders ISP instead - follow the steps in that link in my previous post ot find out how. I'd be interested to see if your originate from telefonica too.
N/A

The worst problem with mail bombs/viruses is if you are joe-jobbed, that is when someone uses your e-mail address as the sender address, and you end up with all the bounce/can't-send/abusive e-mails back.

It happened to me once, I had alot of abusive e-mails sent to me because someone was using my address to spam from, its not a nice feeling to be called a [censored][censored] [censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored] when all you did was own the e-mail address someone set as their 'from' address.
N/A

I think plusnet should take action on this - all those emails will add up and take away bandwidth from people.