Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, changed email passwords - now being rejected

MacOS10
Grafter

Can someone from PlusNet please advise?

Due to the recent security lapse with email addrresses being obtained illegally from PlusNet's system, I stupidly changed both my mailbox passwords to be on the safe side.

Now my email software isn't working - yes, I've changed the account(s) password in preferences (carefully typed, and re-entered multiple times) Cheesy

I've heard it takes a while for the changes to be made on PlusNet's side, but I've left it overnight and still no joy. I don't want to try them via WebMail, due to the recent scare stories - that was the whole point of changing the passwords - so I can't (or won't) be using WebMail to check my email in future.

Is there anything that can be done to speed up the changes that I made being reflected on the system? I've heard PlusNet can force a rebuild of the indexes on my account, or something. Any chance? I need access to my email (with or without spam) just in case PlusNet are trying to contact me to let me know what further steps I need to take.

Thanks in advance.
33 REPLIES
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Same problem here - I even deleted a particular mailbox and recreated it (incidentally it now forces a shorter password than it had before).

Oddly although I cannot access the newly recreated mailbox via webmail with old or new password, I can access it via POP3 with the old password.

All very confusing.
Community Veteran

Same problem here - I've raised a ticket about it. Changed my two Son's mailbox passwords, one worked straight away, one won't work despite multiple tries.

Bob
Saturn
Grafter

Well I haven't changed my passwords and I can't access anything other than the default mailbox using Webmail. Evil
MacOS10
Grafter

I suppose everyone's changing their mailbox passwords, then? That might explain why things are sloooowwww to update.

Any chance PlusNet could kick-start things please?
N/A

Because there are a few mailservers, it does take some time for changes to propogate across them.

I imagine that with current goings on, that there will be an increased load on the mailservers, perhaps slowing the propogation of credentials across the cluster.

Its only supposition, since we don't know what PN are doing in the background, but I'd imagine that there will be some fairly intensive tasks being actioned by the mailservers in addition to the normal processing they are still doing whilst trying to locate/fix the problem.
Community Veteran

I'm not sure that fully explains what's going on here. I've attempted to change the passwords on two of my mailboxes. Once password change took effect straight away, the other one refuses to take effect despite several attempts going back over 12 hours.

Bob
Liam
Grafter

Just to let you guys know - we are looking at this.
MacOS10
Grafter

I opened a new ticket on this, and someone has reset things on my mailboxes, so I'll try again tonight when I get back from work. Will report back...
Liam
Grafter

Do let us know if that resolves it for you. Should be within an hour or so.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I still cannot connect to the wife's mailbox (tried old and new pass).
Tried POP3 and webmail.

Other mailboxes are fine.

Have raised a ticket.
MacOS10
Grafter

According to your recent service staus report on the security breach, I also need to change my main username password (ie. the password I use for logging onto the portal and in my router).

Are there any issues with me doing this, for example: will I be unable to connect to the Internet after changing it in my modem/router? I'm a bit reluctant to do this, but if you're saying I need to then I want some assurances everything will work afterwards. The last thing I want is not being able to access the Internet or log-in to the portal, especially if my email still isn't working! This is my only source for the current situation, I wouldn't want to lose that as well.

I think I'll try the email tonight first - if that works then I'll try changing my main username password. *fingers crossed*
Community Veteran

I opened a new ticket on this, and someone has reset things on my mailboxes, so I'll try again tonight when I get back from work. Will report back...

Support also re-set my password but it didn't fix the problem of not being able to reset it myself on the portal.

Bob
N/A

, I also need to change my main username password (ie. the password I use for logging onto the portal and in my router).

Are there any issues with me doing this

I have just changed mine without any problems.
MacOS10
Grafter

Do let us know if that resolves it for you. Should be within an hour or so.

Hmm, sorry, no - the PlusNet server is still rejecting the new passwords (at 7.45pm). What are my options now? Do I try changing the mailbox passwords again using the portal, or should I just wait...
:roll:

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW: I'm definitely not changing my master password until I get my email working again. There's something wrong on the PlusNet servers at the moment.