cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help and advice please

N/A

Help and advice please

I've trolled the posts on the forum here for a wee bit, and i seem to see alot (An awful lot) of negative threads/posts and well, mines the same in a sense.

The deal is is that i'm getting alot of connection issues while gamming. I play old counter strike, World of warcraft and a couple others. I constantly seem to loose my connection. My set-up is with the ever annoying netgear dg834, and the little "i" which lets me know if i'm connected to the internet or not keeps cutting, then flashing orange and finally green, but only for a few seconds.

All in all this can go on for a good 20mins until i get fed up and shut the computer down.

Another issue is when i'm using dc++, again, my connection seems to simply drop.

Any ideas? is it plus.net or something else?

Getting ripped from this as it's been happening for a good month or two and i really want some sort of solution.

thank you
5 REPLIES
kitz
Rising Star

Help and advice please

Sounds like you are using sync with the exchange.
This is normally down to the a low SNR on your line.

What is your sync speed and your line stats?

The Netgear DG834x routers are normally one of the best for maintaining stability on a line with low SNR Margin.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Help and advice please

Have you updated the router firmware to the latest?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Help and advice please

router firmware is fully updated, only thing i can think of is a possible problem with my set-up. Does the dsl splitter have to be directly into wall?

The way i have it set-up (Based on the distance from the socket to the router) is 2 port splitter at the wall with an extension cable going to the dsl splitter, but the phone conects from the spare socket at the wall. This means that when someone phones i get d/c'd (understandable) but does this set-up affect my sync?

The way it's looking is that i may have to move the router next to the telephone wall socket (To remove the extra cable) and use longer rj-45 patch cables to link up my 2 computers.

Make sense?

cheers again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Help and advice please

The way i have it set-up (Based on the distance from the socket to the router) is 2 port splitter at the wall with an extension cable going to the dsl splitter, but the phone conects from the spare socket at the wall. This means that when someone phones i get d/c'd (understandable) but does this set-up affect my sync?

You can't do that - all devices attached MUST be behind a splitter.

The way it's looking is that i may have to move the router next to the telephone wall socket (To remove the extra cable) and use longer rj-45 patch cables to link up my 2 computers.

I think you could also get hold of an extra DSL splitter which you would put between the doubler and the phone (the DSL side being unused). However what you suggested would be far better as having the router as close as possible to the master socket is best. You could also consider getting a cheap hub/switch (you should get one for under £10) so that you only have to run a single long rj-45 path cable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Help and advice please

nice one man, much appreciated. I sort of thought that was the issue, done some personal studying of computer networking myself, but it's alot more reassuring to have some second oppinions.

Slainthe Mhaith