Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With E-Mail

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Help With E-Mail

Just a quick one, can anyone assist.

I have switched off the catchall after the E-Mail fiasco, and just use [firstname]@[username].plus.com, and a mailbox I set up for my wife. [hername]@[username].plus.com. However I still get alot of spam to [username]@[username].plus.com. I have seen I can rename this account, but there is a big warning in red saying I have to change my mail settings. I was going to change it to [firstname]@[username].plus.com, as this is whats set up in my mail clients, and then redirect all the postmaster mail to this account as well. Would this work, and anything sent to [username]@[username].plus.com would not be collected anymore(which is what I want!!) I am just a tad confused.
6 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Help With E-Mail

Hi there,

In your case, if you want to rename the default mailbox to firstname@username.plus.com, you should not need to change any email settings.

We're looking to get the Manage My Mail stuff clarified, but in the meantime this blog post by Chris may help.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Help With E-Mail

If there is an existing mailbox of this name will the OP have to delete this mailbox first- or can the two co-exist?

I did the same on the other account and deleted the mailbox with the same name before renaming the default- changing the settings in the client(s) accordingly.

Was this a waste of time?
Liam
Grafter

Help With E-Mail

Nope, I don't believe the tool will allow you to rename the default mailbox to be the same as a mailbox that already exists.

... off to give it a try.

EDIT: Or apparently it will let you do that. Seems strange to me, so I've added it to a problem we currently have open. There are a few 'quirks' with the Manage My Mail tool that need to be ironed out.
Community Veteran

Help With E-Mail

Thanks

The firstname@username.plus.com is not a mailbox, as such, just an alias. Its just I gave this out to everyone instead of using postmaster, as I was under the impression that it could be anything. So renaming the default to this, shouldnt affect anything?? just stop mail coming to username@username.plus.com

edit..

Just another though, if I do this, should I delete the alias [firstname]Huh
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Help With E-Mail

That seems fine- I had assumed you had set up a seperate mailbox and was confused by mandbeckett's advice (sorry for doubting you Mand- be kind).

What Mand is saying is that you'll actually be logging on to the same mailbox, regardless of what it's called, the default for your account, so you don't need to change settings.

The effect of renaming it will prevent spam coming to the username@username.plus.com address if you have catch-all switched off. Alternatively you can create a blackhole for the username@username.plus.com and keep the catch-all if this will be useful to you.

As the alias will be redundant you can go ahead and delete it before you make the change - although part of me is curious to see how the PlusNet systems will cope in light of Liam's comments.

Remember that all changes will take a few hours to apply.

Good luck!
Community Veteran

Help With E-Mail

Thanks Peter, appreciate your advice. I will make the change without deleting the alias, see if I confuse the servers :lol: