cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Why wont my BB still connect??

kevchalluk
Grafter

Turned the PC off on Wednesday evening and everything was fine, came to it yesterday morning and couldn't connect with "no dial tone" or "failed to reach remote computer" type errors. Tried uninstalling/reinstall modem drivers etc and decided that, as my phone line was fine, it must be a proper fault. Came down to the local library, checked on here and found out about the Telehouse problem. Thought I'd leave it to get fixed and checked online at work later and it seemed that things were back to normal.

But this morning I'm STILL having the same errors and my modem simply will not sync at all. Ever. Keep getting the same "no dial tone" error despite having reinstalled the modem, tried new microfilters, plugged straight into the master socket etc etc

Can anyone advise? I tried the "support" line this morning but after 25 minutes on hold I gave up.
42 REPLIES
kevchalluk
Grafter

By the way, I can't see how this fault lies with me or my equpiment because everything was fine up to yesterday...
N/A

Hi there,

If you are having synch issues then it would appear to be unconnected with yesterdays events. The problems at Telehouse caused connectivity problems but synch was still ok.

Eliminating local issues would be the first place to start.

Can you connect the equipment to the master socket with all other telephone, faxes, sky etc disconntcted?

Can you swap your filters or borrow some to test with. Are you in a position to borrow another modem or router for testing with.

The lack of synch would indicate a local issue or a line problem and by process of elimination we'll work through them. Smiley

(PS Removed the all caps from the title for netiquette reasons Wink )
kevchalluk
Grafter

I tried a new microfilter, plugged straight into the master with no other phones connected and it still wouldn't sync. Every now and again (very infrequently) it'll start flashing yellow in the task bar, but only for a couple of seconds and never goes green. I'm not in a position to borrow another modem.
kevchalluk
Grafter

ps: sorry about the caps, just wanted to attract some attention in here that's all!

Wink
N/A

Hi there,

If you still cant get synch at the master socket then you've done as much as you can for now.

Visit http://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html select My Broadband Connection - Self-test your Connection and Raise a Fault - and get the automated checking and reporting system underway.

Once the tests have run PN and BT can take it from there.

Good luck and I hope it gets sorted quickly.
kevchalluk
Grafter

I've done that but do I have to leave my computer on? Cos I turned it off to come to work this afternoon. I suspect it could be the modem and am trying to borrow one to test. Could it still be a fault with the phone line?
kevchalluk
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]

The Connection checks have now completed

Test result summary: Fail

We have completed testing of your broadband service, the results indicate a potential fault with the BT network or service equipment. We will continue to investigate, and will provide an update as soon as possible. Please note that it may take 48 hours for BT to provide us with more information.

Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review.
N/A

Its in the hands of the faults guys now.

Good luck and I hope it is sorted soon.
kevchalluk
Grafter

gah, what a pain! i've been unable to work from home for the past 2 days now and the "support" phone line is useless. this is my first brush with PN's dodgy customer relations in the 10 months i've been with them and I can see why there are so many frustrated people on here now!
kevchalluk
Grafter

FAO James Bailey or anyone else on the CS team!

Can you please look at the update I've just put on my ticket ID: 20096380 and get someone to give me a call back? The guy suggested I call you on the usual CS number for further info but there's no chance I'm going to sit around for an hour or more on hold!

I've managed to get the free dial-up working from home (I hope it IS free, I'm wary of stuff like this!) but if this is a "major service outage" as claimed, how come BT first rejected the fact there was even a fault and now can't even say how long it will take to fix? It's been off for 4 days now, how can no-one have known about it at BT?

Cheers
James
Grafter

BT will have checked the individual line first, and they may have not at this time been aware of other customers experiencing similar problems.

Hopefully the resolution of the outage will mean the resolution of your problem.
kevchalluk
Grafter

so you don't have any idea how long it'll take to resolve?
James
Grafter

so you don't have any idea how long it'll take to resolve?

I'm afriad not.

It's not one of the outages that BT have emailed me about Sad
kevchalluk
Grafter

I'm afriad not.

It's not one of the outages that BT have emailed me about Sad

brilliant!

does Plusnet chase these things up or are BT just left to their own devices and it'll be fixed whenever?