cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Why does a BT engineer need to attend?

N/A

I recently had a regrade back to adsl max from IP stream.

BT Speed tester on the 29th March.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5981 kbps

As you can see from the above test, my IP profile was about right for 4 days. The profile dropped and stuck at 2000 from about the fifth day. Problem reported to plusnet (ticket:2158677Cool, IP profile stuck at 2000 until today, when it has increased to 2500kbps (Today, I have dropped sync rate to 3.1k, I'm 720 metres from the exchange).

Up until Thursday I was syncing at 7.1Mb but getting no more than 2Mb as my IP profile was stuck at 2000kbps. On Thursday, possibly Friday. I started to sync at 7.6Mb, my IP profile remaining exactly the same.

BT Speed Test 7th April

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3168 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2298 kbps

I do not know what will be achieved by sending a BT engineer. Nothing has changed internally with any wiring and nothing has changed in regards to my conection.

My SNR is 19/20, according to voyager 105 modem stats. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm puzzled and confused as to why this cannot be fixed without an BT engineer call out.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Can you check the noise margin immediately after a resynch.
My first guess is that for some reason your default noise margin has been increased to 15dB
N/A

This is the modems actual configuration, if it helps.

Heading: Downstream / Upstream
Rate (kbps): 3168 / 448
Latency: Interleave / Interleave
R_F: 0 / 0
R_I: 16 / 16
D: 16 / 4
S: 2 / 8
Framing OH: Reduced Overhead (3)
Trellis: Trellis Enabled
Standard: G.DMT
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The info we need are the noise margin (SNR) and synch rate immediately after resynch or reboot.
This will give a clear indication as to what is happening.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

According to the notes on the fault report BT believe there to be a fault on the line. Chances are that the engineer won't actually need to visit you from the looks of the fault details (but always better to be safe than sorry) and they'll be able to do the work remotely or from the exchange.
N/A

Thanks for having a look Dave, wiring/setup internally is sound. So I can only assume that the fault may be external, my IP profile was changed to 6.5Mb this evening and my sync rate is back up to 7.6Mb.

I can only hope, that everything works out. I'm not fussed about how fast my download is, I just need my streaming to work without the issue's that I have encountered for months.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The big problem with identifying ADSL faults especially where it's something intermittent or speed related is that there are just so many different things and places that cause the problem. Even if you eliminate everything your side of the master socket and everything exchange side and beyond that can still leave you will several miles of phone line, underground ducting, dozens of poles, green street cabinets, interference from electricity sub stations and who knows what else.
N/A

Been having problems for around 16 months with my speed, just kept on getting fobbed off, now BT are in charge they want to send an engineer round to sort it out, just shows how bad plusnet actually were.
N/A

Speed problems can be in a number of areas.

If it's related to your sync rate or bRAS profile rather than the throughput you see on your connection then it's actually a BT problems that's causing the issue, explaining why a BT engineer is required.

If you run a BT Speedtest (instructions are here) and compare with the results of Speedtest.net then it should identify where the problem is.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Been having problems for around 16 months with my speed, just kept on getting fobbed off, now BT are in charge they want to send an engineer round to sort it out, just shows how bad plusnet actually were.

Not sure I understand, that BT wanted to send an engineer out is just the standard diagnostic procedures, doesn't have anything to do with BT being our new owners.