cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please - Thank you!

N/A

Help Please - Thank you!

I am a new PlusNet subscriber who migrated from another ISP in this week. Often, I use the Chinese chatroom

http://chat.tom.com

as well as Chinese Webbased email account

http://mail.163.com.

They all worked fine until I switched to PlusNet. The problem I have now is that It takes unbelievablly long time to open the main page (if I am lucky enough to open it). I have never got to the next step, such as open the actual the email, or log into a specific cahtroom etc. As I never had the problem with my previous ISP provider, I would natually reckon this problem must be related to PlusNet service. Can PP support team or any PP user who know about this issue give me a help to sort it out please. Thanks!
30 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Help Please - Thank you!

I can't bring either of them up either.
Are you sure they're working at the moment for other ISPs?
Try a traceroute and post the result.
JonathanW
Grafter

Help Please - Thank you!

Hi,

This could be something to do with the route the traffic takes between ourselves and the servers in China. As running a traceroute from an internal box here takes quite some time, and there is some packet loss along the way.
N/A

Help Please - Thank you!

Hi Geoff,

Yes, the all working before I switch to PlusNet. In fact, I was still Timewarp user until the day before yesterday and used them both. I get my PP connection this morning and have no luck so far. I have asked my friend to try from his PC, the both sites are fine.

Thanks!

Wei
N/A

Help Please - Thank you!

Hi,

This could be something to do with the route the traffic takes between ourselves and the servers in China. As running a traceroute from an internal box here takes quite some time, and there is some packet loss along the way.

Hi Jon,

The both sites work fine. You should have no problem to access them from UK as I did even just the day before yesterday.
JonathanW
Grafter

Help Please - Thank you!

Hi,

I can just about access the first one, http://chat.tom.com but its extreamly slow and is still loading, and this is from the office connection rather than from an ADSL connection.

This is most likely due to the fact that we use different peering partners to your previous ISP, which would mean the traffic takes a slightly different route through the internet.
N/A

Help Please - Thank you!

Jon, does this mean I can't access to these sites via PP? I also use the internet to listen to Chinese radio, watch Chinese TV channels. These are my main purpose of using the internet. If PP can't not cater my need, I have to switch back to Timewarp. I wish I don't have to do so.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
JonathanW
Grafter

Help Please - Thank you!

You should be able to access the sites via one of our ADSL connections, however they will most likely be slow to load and could take some time to display correctly.
N/A

Help Please - Thank you!

How? I am using your ADSL and have not be able to make the connections to any of the sites I ussally have easy access. Do I need to config something on my connection?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
shellsong
Grafter

Re: Help Please - Thank you!

I couldn't complete on http://chat.tom.com although I was able to bring up the first page of http://mail.163.com.

I don't understand the ins and outs of the peering used by ISPs but isn't there any way the OP could get their routing done via more suitable peers whilst staying with PN if that is their preference?
JonathanW
Grafter

Help Please - Thank you!

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to have one particular customer have their traffic go through a different peer. The only variation in route taken by traffic from two customers is due to the way that TCP/IP works when transmitting data over long distances.
N/A

Help Please - Thank you!

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to have one particular customer have their traffic go through a different peer. The only variation in route taken by traffic from two customers is due to the way that TCP/IP works when transmitting data over long distances.

Jon, can you tell me honestly. Is this the issue that PN can't not solve? As I said in my first post, If I can't access to these sites, the service is no much use for me. I am not blame anybody for this. I just don't want to waste my time try to work out something that will probably not be able to solve.
N/A

Help Please - Thank you!

FWIW I can access both of those sites fine on my Zen account
JonathanW
Grafter

Help Please - Thank you!

As any slowdown is occuring once the traffic leaves our network, there is nothing that we can do to resolve it. This can often be the case with sites hosted in China, due to the distance that the traffic has to travel in order to reach the servers.
N/A

Help Please - Thank you!

As any slowdown is occuring once the traffic leaves our network, there is nothing that we can do to resolve it. This can often be the case with sites hosted in China, due to the distance that the traffic has to travel in order to reach the servers.

Ok, I get the message. As I said, I didn't have any problem to access these sites when I were with Timewarp. And the Kim (above have made successful access via Zen). The problem is partuclarly with PN, no matter what cause it. I have to say I am disappointed and have no choice but switch back to Timewarp for more reliable services.

Thanks Jon for your help.