cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - I'm getting bombarded with Undeliverable Mail notices

N/A

Hi,
I suddenly got 170+ undeliverable mail notices (or similar wording) sent to me today. Using up-to-date ZoneAlarm and Avast so I don't think I'm infected or taken over - or am I kidding myself? The addresses all use <spoof_name>@<my_username>.plus.com. Where it's given, they all seem to have "Received: from 82-78-169-5.rdsnet.ro (82.78.169.5)" and most are in German text.

Anything I should do? (other than bin them)

Should I report this to anyone? Who?

Will this get my name black-listed anywhere?

Simon

Here's a sample:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at rosewind.bottiglieri.it. I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<tanker@bottiglieri.it>:
This address no longer accepts mail.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <Isabel@<username>.plus.com>
Received: (qmail 14643 invoked from network); 7 Jun 2007 19:05:41 +0200
Received: from 82-78-169-5.rdsnet.ro (82.78.169.5)
by host90-196-149-62.serverdedicati.aruba.it with SMTP; 7 Jun 2007 19:05:41 +0200
Received: from mail pickup service by 82-78-169-5.rdsnet.ro with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:05:28 +0300
To: <tanker@bottiglieri.it>
Subject: Ich empfinde so viel Kummer beim Erz.
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:05:24 +0300
Message-ID: <000001c7a926$09ed5a70$05a94e52@silviu>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
Thread-Index: AcepPy86ubxDN244S+6jGefMcoaHDw==
Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1896

der mineralbusiness entwickelt sich schnell!
sehen sie es am donnerstag 7. juni!

entreprise: harri expl inc
letzt. schlu?k: 0.45
5-t.ag prog.: 1.80

k,?rzel: e f d
w-k,n : a 0 h 0 5 q

verlieren sie keine moglichkeit
kau-fen vor es sehr spat wird

300-400 Interessen in folgenden 5t
fugen sie efd in ihre liste am
donnerstag 7. juni!

Den Schakalen aus dem Walde kommt, einen Rat geben. MXge der Herr sich immer wohl befinden.

Es ist gut f. Ich, stundenlang und tagelang verharrte er im Nicht-Ich. Ich war in gro. Liebe stehen im Widerspruch, im. Noch nie ist mit Schelten etwas erreicht worden. Und nimm meine Kleider dafXr an.

--
This email has been verified as Virus free
Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
4 REPLIES
Aterlatus
Grafter

Seems your address was used in a round of SPAM mails. No idea why they people get used like that - if I was a spammer I'd always use microsoft.com or something ;p

Just delete them for now, but if you find you're getting more and more coming in then turn off the "Catchall" option in your email settings (in the PN portal) and they'll stop clogging up your mailbox at least.
Lorian
Grafter

And add your vote for PN to implement SPF.
J_i_m
Grafter

SPF wouldn't really help that much if the servers receiving the mail don't take it into account.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've had exactly the same thing happen to me last night on my dad's domain which he only used for occasional e-mail and was nearly spam free. Parents phoned whinging they had 250 spam e-mails.

I don't think it had anything to do with PlusNet, as I am sure it couldn't have been stored on webmail (as I hardly used it) and I can't imagine someone else had sent him a mail from there either.

He had all mail going to one box, so I've had to change the catch-all to another box which I am dumping the contents of (but I might auto-trash it if it gets too bad), and the only alias before the @ he was using now goes into that one.

Did this with my hosting company last night, but you can do the same with PlusNet hosted mail.