cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! - BT Line Fault Has Dropped Download Speed To 128k!!

Phileasfrog
Grafter

Following several days of continual disconnections of sync BT have now repaired a local overhead line fault and I am now syncing again solidly at 8128 / 448 but I seem to be stuck at a maximum download speed of 128 and upload of about 285.

I previously had a MSR of 8000 and often downloaded at 6400 or so. The current MSR is 3000 (and presumably should increase back to 8000) but I am still being restricted to almost dial-up speed of 128! I am on a small country exchange which will (luckily) probably never see LLU.

I am only about 1km from the exchange with an SNR of between 10-14db, with the expected fluctuations.

How do I get my speed back up to my previous speed in the quickest possible time and why, with the current MSR of 3000, am I being restricted to 128? Is this something that PN can progress? BT seem only to be interested if I were on BT Broadband.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
6 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Hi there,

It looks like BT have reset your BRAS setting down to 160k. Unfortunately this is not something that we can adjust, but rebooting your router a couple of times a day should prompt the system to up the profile for you.

You're on a fairly strong line, with an 8Mb sync so there shouldn't be any difficulties with this.

Hope this helps.
Phileasfrog
Grafter

Liam

Thanks for the prompt response but is there no possible interaction between PN and BT in such cases where the current profile is so obviously wrong? I thought I had seen other PN responses in this forum where BT had been asked to look at BRAS profiles which were so out of order?

Regards

Chris
Liam
Grafter

Only where they haven't updated within a certain timeframe.

The DLM at the exchange is supposed to update "on the fly" and as such, this isn't something we can just get changed.
Phileasfrog
Grafter

Liam

OK I appreciate that can you please give me an idea as to the timescale that is required by BT before they will "manually" tweak the profile??

Many thanks!

Chris
Liam
Grafter

It's not a case of manually tweaking the setting... We would have to escalate a fault to them if it's not right after the 10 day training period.
Phileasfrog
Grafter

Liam (or any other of the most helpful PN staff!)

It is now 6 days since the BT fault knocked my Stable Rate for six. The fault was repaired last Wed and since last Sat the Stable Rate has been at 1000. I have rebooted as suggested since then but no change to the SR. I am close to the exchange and have a Signal Noise Margin of 16+db. I have always had a rock solid 8128 sync and a download speed.

You mentioned a 10 day period but I note that the PN Stable Rate page refers to 3 days of rebooting. Particularly bearing mind that the initial cause of the problem was BT's, is it now possible to chivvy BT in some way in order to restore my previous speed please??

Many thanks!

Chris