cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello everybody from a new customer

N/A

Hi all
Just applied to join plusnet this afternoon, found these messageboards and feel that i have made a big mistake. Is it really as bad as it sounds ?
I have sent my mac codes to plus net for migration about an hour ago and think it is too late to cancel my migration.
I have just read on the board about new T & C's. Are these caps on the service, and what are they. Before i joined this afternoon i read on their website that P2P is limited, but only to an extent that a 1 hr download would maybe take 2 or 3 mins extra. Reading the message boards this now sounds like complete Bull. If so how can they get away with such fraudulent advertising. Any info on the situation will be appreciated.
Regards
Terry
15 REPLIES
Metalguru
Grafter

Hi Terry.

What package have you signed up for ?
N/A

i just connected today to PlusN and it doesnt seem as bad as people make out on this forum, BUT where PN goes wrong is misrepresentation. they say 2 meg. u may get 1 meg line due to BT(nothing PN can do). tehy say unlimited but they only mean at times that suit them. most people feel douped by PN , i do slightly too since im on premier with a 1 meg line. not had problems with surfing the net and direct downloads. p2p programs.. well only time can tell since im new to PN but i used irc and and i had no problems getting files there and my 1 meg speed Sad
shame tehre isnt a try b4 u buy
it all depends on what u need and want from ur isp
Pathfinder
Grafter

Hi

Ignore the whingers if you can they appear to be on some sort of crusade.

Put it this way if there was not any forums would you still be happy with your connection and service?

Most customers will say yes.
Community Veteran

Re: Hello everybody from a new customer

Hi all
Just applied to join plusnet this afternoon, found these messageboards and feel that i have made a big mistake. Is it really as bad as it sounds ?

NO! Plus have their problems but for the most part the actual connection is excellent as well as the customer service. There are a lot of compaints at the minute because of the new terms and conditions you will find however that many complaints are made by a small minority who they do not effect but are "campaigning" on behalf of others. Think about this, from what I see most people complaining have been here for a few years now, this means they could leave with no penalty as they are out of any contract period, so if the service is so bad why don't they?
N/A

I have signed up for the broadband plus package @ 14.99.
I do believe that my line will support up to 2.2 Mbs, so hopefully i should be ok there.
I tend to do more surfing than anything, but do some P2P downloading quite often, and hoped to take advantage of the faster speeds and "unlimited" bandwith. Only time will tell !
N/A

Thanks for the replies, i am feeling a little better now. Don't know how long it will take for my migration to complete so i will just have to see how it goes.
Regards to all
Terry
aeroalfie
Grafter

@terrymoran
forget about for P2P or torrents on BB+ it's throttled back to just slightly better than dial up speeds.
N/A

they say 2 meg. u may get 1 meg line due to BT(nothing PN can do).

Er - they actually say "up to 2Mb".
N/A

it says as standard for plus and payg and for premier
Speeds up to 8Mb .. does any1 have this?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please dont use ALL of the preceding post as a quote.
N/A

Yes - but with an asterisk and some "small print" (which is bigger than the main text, comically) which says

Broadband Plus comes at the fastest speed possible, up to 2Mb. If 2Mb is not available to you we will provide you with broadband at 1Mb or 512k."

that's here, by the way.

Re: 8mb - yes, but there's only a couple of hundred people in the country on the MaxDSL trial, I think. So not many of them...

The legitimacy of offering "up to 4Mb" and "up to 8Mb" options in the premier range is a different topic, which is endlessly debated in other threads, and has been rather poorly handled by PN.

I'm not going there Wink

Moderators note by John (johnessex) First quote removed as it was an unnecessary copy of the preceding post
Metalguru
Grafter

Terry.

I've been with BB+ 2mb since it started.
It suits my needs.

I generally get speeds above 1800 kbps.

I have no complaints about +nets technical service.

But their people / communications skills ........... suck.
I Should Add (Edit) ................. It wasn't always like this.
N/A

I I have raised 3 tickets to ask about the restrictions regarding file sharing. When considering joining i read the following page regarding the broadband plus package : http://www.plus.net/support/features/traffic_management.shtml
The main thing that i read on here that made me think there would not be much loss of speed is the statement
"How we do this
All PlusNet broadband products are contended, meaning customers share available bandwidth and can make high-speed data transfers while still paying great-value low prices. Our products offer different features and network contention, allowing you to choose a product based on what you want to do online.
Heavy use of applications such as peer-to-peer file sharing by a small number of customers at peak times could lead to drops in service quality for other customers who are emailing, web surfing or gaming.

To prevent any such drops in quality, we manage traffic on our network. Priority is given to ‘time sensitive’ activities such as email, surfing, gaming and internet phone calls (sometimes known as VoIP). Activities such as file sharing are given slightly less priority but will still be fast - for example a download that would have previously taken one hour may now take a couple of minutes longer.

Every time i ask about this statement regarding file sharing, they refuse to answer the question and tell me i should go to the next package up.

I am considering cancelling my migration because of this. Looks like i made a big mistake even considering Plus Net.
N/A

The info on the plusnet site about BB+ is extremely misleading regarding P2P usage and should be changed to reflect the reality. I don't use p2p very much but have averaged around 10kbs (or up to 30kbs between 1 and 6am) on torrents. This is obviously heavy shaping and a seriously degraded service. It won't make me migrate because the service is good in other ways and extremely competitively priced but +net should stop mis-selling their products.
N/A

When considering joining i read the following page regarding the broadband plus package : http://www.plus.net/support/features/traffic_management.shtml

i cannot find this page linked from the broadband plus product information. the description matches the shaping that is being performed on broadband premier.

though i do agree that plusnet are misleading about the usefulness of broadband plus for p2p. it should be made clear that it it never achieves decent speeds at any time, or they should adjust the product to match their claims.