cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello any business customers

N/A

Just wondered if any business customers out there are seeing any of the speed problems (or shaping) everyone's talking aboutHuh
14 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

I can state a very categorical no. But then most business customers arent using p2p apps or binaries. At least none of our clients are.
plusnetsux
Grafter

my clients are seeing massive speed reductions on external binaries.
Community Veteran

What about you Mark, do you get any linux ISO's?
N/A

No Daniel. No *nix stuff in our place.............yet.
N/A

my clients are seeing massive speed reductions on external binaries.
Is this with the "Business" product?? (not the home worker or teleworker package) BTW its not even really important for me tbh however I still dont like the idea of ports being throttled, what if one of my works programs uses a port near the same range?
Community Veteran

I may be wrong if so someone will correctly, but I don't think the ellacoyas throttle ports rather they look inside the packets to see what type of traffic it is.
N/A

I may be wrong if so someone will correctly, but I don't think the ellacoyas throttle ports rather they look inside the packets to see what type of traffic it is.
Forgive me if Im being silly Wink but will this effect me when I start pulling files (via ftp) from work to home and back (anything from 1meg a night to 1gig at a guess)

EDIT- Also are there any download limits (in anyway!) with the "business package £34.99+vat)
Community Veteran

It shouldn't. AFAIK ftp is in the "silver" queue. Unless this is different for the business products on which I am no expert.
N/A

It shouldn't. AFAIK ftp is in the "silver" queue. Unless this is different for the business products on which I am no expert.
That was my next question ...... is it shaped the same as residential packages
Community Veteran

Less, being more expensive ;-)
N/A

I'm on a Small Business Pro Premier 2mb account and I've certainly noticed odd speeds over the past month. Downloading headers for newsgroups (txt or binary groups) is dramatically slower evenings and weekends. DL'ing around 100000 headers at the moment from PlusNet's server: avg about 24KB/s. Noticed the same from external usenet providers too. Same story for binaries.

However, speeds jump back up to a steady 240KB/s overnight & early morning, i.e. simply following the "Broadband Bandwidth Usage" graph. So, rather than "shaping" per se, I'm assuming it's just bottlenecking/prioritising... i.e. general rather than personal.

During busy times (as seen on the BBB Usage graph) I notice http, ftp and VPN being sluggish too - but nowhere near the same slowdown as nntp! Don't use p2p or games so no idea about them.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Newsgroups are a bit slow at the moment, however we are working to improve that. If you use external servers that are text only (like news.individual.net) you should already notice a marked improvement in performance.
N/A

During busy times (as seen on the BBB Usage graph) I notice http, ftp and VPN being sluggish too - but nowhere near the same slowdown as nntp!
I can live with that me thinks Wink as I must be the only person on plusnet that dont use newsqroups! However i was concered about ftp (non port 21 that is) useage but seeing as work only as a 512Kb upload speed I'll ever have to go faster that say ... 60KB per sec anyways. All good!
N/A

I agree ratcom... although rather than ftp, all I really care about is VPN. If I had to I could tunnel my other stuff through VPN from another ISP. The lowest common denominator / limiting factor is the ADSL upload speed of 256, whether you're on "up to 2MB", "up to 8MB" or whatever.

SDSL would be nice but the cost is, so far, prohibitive. At the moment, my ideal package would be ADSL 4096/768, i.e. 4MB max dl, 768 ul. Alternatively I'm tempted to concatenate 2 standard ADSLs to get 1024/512 or thereabouts. Cost looks about the same as I'm curently paying. But in reality it would just be an extra layer of complication to offset a low level of frustration (watching ul progress bars!).