cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hell I mean Help No it is Hel

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

I am continually getting cut off and reported this to PLUSNET but they keep telling me that if BT cannot find anything wrong they will charge me a large call out fee.Whilst i appreciate the advise i cannot contact customer services about this as there is always a thirty minute wait and i havent the time. Something a bit strange though if the service is fine why the high wait on the customer problem line ?
Anyway before i get BT involved can anyone enlighten me as to whether line problems will cause the error messages which vary from cannot connect to remote or remote not responding or I get error messages ranging from 619,678,734 which all seem to indicate it is the remote computer disconnecting me when i try to re-connect i actually got a very odd message saying the remote was not acting in an appropriate manner or something like that Huh? it never connects first time i have to re-dial then when it does connect it wont surf so i have to disconnect again to try and get a connection i can use. Does this sound like a bad line could a bad line create these problems ? I have tried everything changing the filters blah blah blah but i still get cut off its doing my head in anyone having similar problems ? Its already disconnected me before i finished typing this...........Please help if anyone has similar problems cos i know what will happen BT will tell me they cannot find a fault and i will be back to square one less a callout charge !!!!
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It could be a line problem, but it could also be a modem or splitter problem or even a problem with your internal house wiring.

First off, what type of modem have you got? Is it a router? Whats the make and model. Do the problems happen at specfic times?

Also have you checked the Tutorials in the Tutorial and FAQ forum. There are 2 to my knowledge that might help you.

On a side note I've changed the title of your post from capitals. It can be considered rude and shouting.

Chris
N/A

(quote)...the remote computer disconnecting me when i try to re-connect i actually got a very odd message saying the remote was not acting in an appropriate manner or something like that Huh? it never connects first time i have to re-dial then when it does connect it wont surf so i have to disconnect again to try and get a connection i can use. (Quote)

Does the screen have a green bit on the left? I have had that a couple of times, modem connects and syncs but can't go to any sites, same screen keeps popping up? I thought it was a bt thing.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Sorry i didnt realise capitals were rude.

I have a voyager 105 there is no regular time. The line will never stay connected for more than a couple of hours and there are times it will disconnect every five minutes there are times it will stay connected for several hours but there is no fixed pattern of problem times. The thing i do not understand is why when it disconnects me it never lets me re-connect immediately it could take two or three attempts or it just hangs on "Verifying user and password". The modem is connected straight into the socket not on an extension but my main point is if the line is faulty why does it keep refering to the remote computer with error messages is this the normal behaviour if a line is faulty ?
Community Veteran

Hang on a minute, do you lose sync or just your connection?

In english: What lights are on/off/blinking when you loose connection?
N/A

An obvious one, but is the voice side of your line fine, any crackling noise?

How long have you had the modem? In MY experience, USB modems are
:roll:

Also, it may be an idea to check your computer for spyware, as this can often damage the TCP/IP stack in Windows.
N/A

Hi

I'm having the same prob's I keep getting disconnected or when I am surfing it is grinding to a halt. I have contacted BT and they say that the exchange is OK!
My Netgear wireless router is showing a good connection and good signal
I don't think it is a software or hardware problem, so any ideasHuh
squeal:-(
Community Veteran

Your using a router and the OP a modem via Windows so the chances are they are very different problems. Although line / wiring, phone and splitter problems could still be the case for both of you.

BT who you speak to on the phone wont have been in a position to do any tests or confirm any problems either way.

Chris
N/A

I've found that since my 2meg upgrade I frequently see disconnection, was absolutely perfect on 1meg. Modem LED status varies between fine and dandy but browser tells me that I need to reconnect or a physical line error requiring modem reboot. Exchange is under half a mile down the road - I have a friend with BT so I'm gonna give him a call to check the line but I suspect that most probs are at BTs end, poor quality lines 'n' stuff in various places more susceptible to external conditions, damp, heat and the like maybe!?
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

My DSL light flashes when i lose connection...tonight it it cutting me off every five minutes and i have had to cancel my connection eight times to get any response or be able to surf as each time i received 228 bytes and then it froze although the light was not blinking then. The light only blinks when the connection drops completely. It is driving me nuts ! Bt have done a so called line check and said there are no problems ? Next stage a visit but i want to make sure its not something like the modem which is only three months old or filters which i have changed just hoping someone has had similar problems that they have rectified.
N/A

No chance of using another modem at least it narrows things down a tad!?
N/A

I've found that since my 2meg upgrade I frequently see disconnection, was absolutely perfect on 1meg.

Sounds like your line is not good enough for 2meg and BT should not have upgraded you, I am sure you would prefer your pefect 1mb line then a dodgy 2mb line.

I have a perfect 1mb line yet i know if i was upgraded to 2mb then i would most likley have the same problems as you are having.
N/A

The disconnection doesn't phase me, when it occurs it's only a click away to reconnect or a quick reboot, so far I haven't had it happen while I'm using the net only when left alone i.e. out for the day - as for whether the line is good then I'm sure I'll get an answer from the engineer I know - its well within the distance for 2 but I suppose the copper could be poor up to the building.
Community Veteran

My DSL light flashes when i lose connection...tonight it it cutting me off every five minutes and i have had to cancel my connection eight times to get any response or be able to surf as each time i received 228 bytes and then it froze although the light was not blinking then. The light only blinks when the connection drops completely. It is driving me nuts ! Bt have done a so called line check and said there are no problems ? Next stage a visit but i want to make sure its not something like the modem which is only three months old or filters which i have changed just hoping someone has had similar problems that they have rectified.

If the DSL light flashes then it is not plusnets problem, although their responsibility to solve it. If you work through:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

and

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

that should help CS escalate your problem to BT quicker, but make sure you tell them you have done the tutorials, else they will ask you the same questions again.