cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a ####### laugh !!!

N/A

Finally got a reply to my ticket about my lost emails...

Dear Mr xxxxxx,
Unfortunately, we do not keep backups of our customers emails, as this is down to yourself to keep backups of your data.

I apologise for the inconvenience that this may be causing.

Regards,
Support

How the #### can I back up my emails before I have even downloaded them from the server !!!

Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil

I can't believe that a supposedly professional ISP don't have mirrored servers so that they can recover customers' data should something go wrong.

I have finally had enough... see ya PlusNet... I'm off !

Moderator edit: removed agents name, please refrain from posting the names of agents in the forum. - Mark
8 REPLIES
N/A

good luck finding an ISP who backs up mail.
shellsong
Grafter

Why not use Yahoo or Gmail (or whatever it's called now), I've not lost any mail in the years I've been using them-- my wife has been using an account on our PN webmail as well as three other accounts elsewhere and she blames me for not telling her people have been having problems with PN's service! She's not had trouble with any of her other accounts Wink
N/A

gmail would be my advice allways works and doesnt throw a wobbler every other day and loose all your stuff
N/A

good luck finding an ISP who backs up mail.

QFT!! (Quoted for Truth)

It's your e-mail, and you should download your messages and back them up onto media.
N/A

You can only back the emails up if you had the opportunity to download them.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Obviously the response was not appropriate for this situation, this has been fed back.

We would advise backing up email, as we do not do keep copies of mail once it has been downloaded.

In this case, as has been pointed out, there was no opportunity to download the mail initially. This is where the problem lies, and what we are working to recover at present.
N/A

Hi

Obviously the response was not appropriate for this situation, this has been fed back.

We would advise backing up email, as we do not do keep copies of mail once it has been downloaded.

In this case, as has been pointed out, there was no opportunity to download the mail initially. This is where the problem lies, and what we are working to recover at present.

Thank you !!

I of course keep back ups of my mail, once I have downloaded it from the server, however, I was actually querying about the emails that were lost before I was able to download them Wink

If the problem of the missing emails is being addressed, then I guess I will just have to wait and see if they are recovered.

FAO sarahnmason...

I would expect any ISP to be able to recover any data from their servers, whether that data contains emails, or hosted files etc. Obviously I wouldn't expect them to keep emails that I have downloaded from the server - imagine how much storage they would need !
N/A

Reminds me of when the old CGI server died just over a year ago during "planned maintenance". They hadn't taken a backup of the data before carrying out the work, and when things went pear shaped everybody lost their CGI websites.

It is of course the responsibility of us paying subscribers to keep backups of our websites, but that cannot be the case for email that has not yet been delivered.

I moved my websites to a decent host a while back. I'll be moving my email away from PlusNet soon too.