cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have the Ellacoyas been reprogrammed?

parish
Grafter

My peak-time Internet usage has suddenly jumped. I'm on Premier Option 1 and both last month and now this month I've received notification of reaching 11GB. Last month I ended up on level one management.

In the months prior to that I have always stayed within even the 13GB limit.

The pattern of 'net usage at home hasn't changed. The two biggest peak-time protocols according to VMBU are Web, e-mail and Other - 4.74GB, 2.12GB, and 3.28GB respectively so far this month (billing date is the 21st). I find those figures unbelievable, especially e-mail. I run my own IMAP mailserver here and the partition the mailboxes reside on only has a capacity of 3.5GB and currently only ~2.5GB is in use and at no time has the system ever run out of disk space.

My daughter is the biggest user of peak-time and, like most teenagers I guess, mainly uses MSN Messanger to chat with her mates. What protocol does MSN fall under? What sort of data usage (i.e. MB/hour) does MSN use (including a webcam)?

Could it be that my profile has been incorrectly changed to record peak-time as 08:00-00:00 instead of 16:00-00:00?

Also, is it possible to see the per-protocol breakdown for previous months so I can analyze the data to see if I can identify a possible cause?

I'm running a router using NAT, with all ports blocked except 22 and 80 - both of which are redirected to the mailserver. The PC my daughter uses is a Windows box but has A/V, firewall, Spybot all running and automatically updated. My machine is a Unix box, as is the mailserver, so it's highly unlikely to be that it's any rogue s/w using the network. I don't have wireless either, so it's not that.

As I said, this sudden jump in usage is strange and from what I can see this end I don't think the problem is here.
10 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi there,

We haven't made any changes recently, especially that would cause the kind of issues that you are reporting.

I'd recommend raising a ticket and letting us passing it through to our Network team for investigation.

My daughter is the biggest user of peak-time and, like most teenagers I guess, mainly uses MSN Messanger to chat with her mates. What protocol does MSN fall under? What sort of data usage (i.e. MB/hour) does MSN use (including a webcam)?

I'd expect this to come under Web.

Could it be that my profile has been incorrectly changed to record peak-time as 08:00-00:00 instead of 16:00-00:00?

Very, very unlikely.

Also, is it possible to see the per-protocol breakdown for previous months so I can analyze the data to see if I can identify a possible cause?

Not sure, but ask in your ticket and we'll see if we can get it for you.
parish
Grafter

James, thanks for the prompt and helpful reply. I've raised ticket 21509041 - just copied my original post here as a starting point.

Looking at it further, my total e-mail usage so far this month is ~7GB which, at that rate, will be ~10GB for a whole month. My mailserver simply couldn't cope with that volume of mail and looking at the logs on the server I can see nothing suspicious.

I'd be grateful if you could possibly chase this ticket along because, as you will appreciate, having traffic management applied affects our use of the connection.

Thanks.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I've passed the ticket through for you with some notes of my own. Let me know when you get a response back and I can chase further if you need me to.
parish
Grafter

Cheers James!
kitz
Rising Star

movens

Hope you dont mind me butting in - it may not be this - but with you mentioning teenage daughter. Something for parents to be aware of that was doing the rounds is Veoh.

The kids were talking about it at school and lots of them installed the prog thinking it was simply a small viewer for watching YouTube Vids.

Ive seen this on several machines now and it hides itself quite well to the fact it take whatever upstream it can when it wants.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=312.0

Link to veoh
http://www.veoh.com/
parish
Grafter

Kitz, butt in all you want. Thanks for the heads-up, but Veoh isn't installed on the PC.

Limewire was installed on 8 Feb which is around the time the problem started - if I can get daily figures for last month I may be able to prove this.

LW was installed with its defaults -

T3 or faster connection
    Unlimited uploads
    On Exit, minimize to System Tray (so it remains running, uploading)
    Start when PC starts (the PC runs 24/7)

Interestingly, it wasn't actually running when I went to check the machine - checked the System Tray and Processes in Task Manager - but that may be a fluke.

It looks like this maybe the problem - but if it is, then PN's traffic management is failing to pick it up as P2P traffic as VMBU shows only 233MB/234MB peak/off-peak for this month - ~20 days. I thought that the Ellacoyas packet-sniffed and can find P2P traffic even in an ssh tunnel?

I'll see if the usage falls significantly over the next few days (and check regularly that LW isn't running).
gswindale
Grafter

I'd have to agree that there are a couple of funnys with the Ellacoyas - for instance I've used 1.67GB for online gaming so far this month (11 days), yet I've spent absolutely no time gaming online and neither has anybody else connected to my network. Now that seems a little high to be classed as background traffic to me.
parish
Grafter

I'd have to agree that there are a couple of funnys with the Ellacoyas - for instance I've used 1.67GB for online gaming so far this month (11 days), yet I've spent absolutely no time gaming online and neither has anybody else connected to my network. Now that seems a little high to be classed as background traffic to me.

It's not too much of a problem as long as the totals are correct - and I guess that we have to believe that they are - but when you get a situation like I've got then inaccurate (wildy inaccurate it seems) per-protocol data makes diagnosis difficult.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I'll see if the usage falls significantly over the next few days (and check regularly that LW isn't running).

It could be some of the "other" that's showing up, it should pick it up as P2P but it could appear in VMBU as other.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Do the totals look correct? Could it be something else that's just being picked up incorrectly or something you perhaps hadn't thought was gaming? (e.g. game patch updates, webcam or similar).