cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have plusnet got it wrong?

N/A

Surely after over 11,000 views regarding the speed of usenet after the 15GBit threshold has been passed plusnet should acknowledge that they got it wrong and apologise to it's customers.
15 REPLIES
N/A

That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

You've got 2 hopes and I'm pretty sure Bob died a while back.
munsy
Grafter

No we have not,

no not at all,

we are confident we have not got it wrong,

we might need to just tweak this,

we told you we are right,

OK we got it wrong,

hello is any one there.
N/A

lol
N/A

*tumbleweed*
N/A

Re: Have plusnet got it wrong?

Surely after over 11,000 views regarding the speed of usenet after the 15GBit threshold has been passed plusnet should acknowledge that they got it wrong and apologise to it's customers.

Are you on drugs ?
N/A

I believe PN really don't care, as you say 11,000 views and still nothing. It's been their plan all along to get rid of the heavy users.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We do care about customer feedback and take it very seriously. For example with the recent changes to usenet, there was a lot of feedback from customers that the speeds after the first 15GB were too low, and we have reacted to this feedback and improved this dramatically.

At the end of the day, we know exactly how many people are using over 15GB of usenet traffic and it is a very small group of customers. By giving customers the ability to download 15GB of usenet traffic at full speed this has greatly improved the service for the majority of usenet users. The decision to implement this change was also driven by feedback from customers.

As a business we know that we have to provide a great service to the majority of our customers, especially as we don't use conventional advertising and rely on the word of mouth of our customers very heavily. We also have to do this in a profitable manner as if there is no profit, there's no business. We can't afford to cater to the needs of a very small number of customers to the detriment of the majority of our customers.
N/A

"lot of feedback from customers that the speeds after the first 15GB were too low, and we have reacted to this feedback and improved this dramatically. "

Dramatically ? 30k/s is hardly a dramatic amount on a line that is capable of 8 times that.

Well now your your still getting lots of feedback and lots of people going else where, so what do you intend to do about this, as it is obviously a very large issue still ?

Were not asking for "unlimited downloads" as you seem to keep quoting. Just that we can use up to the peak / off peak amounts at normal speeds.

Is this too much to ask ?
N/A

We do care about customer feedback and take it very seriously. For example with the recent changes to usenet, there was a lot of feedback from customers that the speeds after the first 15GB were too low, and we have reacted to this feedback and improved this dramatically.

At the end of the day, we know exactly how many people are using over 15GB of usenet traffic and it is a very small group of customers. By giving customers the ability to download 15GB of usenet traffic at full speed this has greatly improved the service for the majority of usenet users. The decision to implement this change was also driven by feedback from customers.

As a business we know that we have to provide a great service to the majority of our customers, especially as we don't use conventional advertising and rely on the word of mouth of our customers very heavily. We also have to do this in a profitable manner as if there is no profit, there's no business. We can't afford to cater to the needs of a very small number of customers to the detriment of the majority of our customers.

*Yawn*
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Dramatically ? 30k/s is hardly a dramatic amount on a line that is capable of 8 times that.

It's nearly 10 times the speed it was originally.

Well now your your still getting lots of feedback and lots of people going else where, so what do you intend to do about this, as it is obviously a very large issue still ?

We are getting a lot of feedback but I disagree that this is causing a lot of people to leave. Compared to our total customer base it is a very small group of customers who are complaining about this.

Were not asking for "unlimited downloads" as you seem to keep quoting. Just that we can use up to the peak / off peak amounts at normal speeds.

Is this too much to ask ?

Unfortunately yes it is. Without some sort of control of protocols like usenet they quickly and easily swallow up a huge amount of our capacity and this is just not sustainable. At first we gave usenet a low priority to control this but this wasn't fair on the light usenet users as it was slowing them down regardless of how much they used, so we now let everyone download 15GB (which is far more than the majority of customers use) at full speed and then slow the usenet traffic after that.

We are aware that there is a small group of customers, some of which are very vocal in these forums, that this does not suit, however we can't make a platform to suit a handful of customers. There are many other broadband providers in the UK now and some of those may suit these customers better, however the industry is changing and with the faster speeds and media heavy applications on the way the number of providers who don't manage their networks for the majority of their customers will always be decreasing.
N/A

"It's nearly 10 times the speed it was originally. "

Are we meant to be overjoyed with this or something ? :roll:

"Unfortunately yes it is. "

So at least they have admitted that they dont want you to download anywhere near the limits that they have set for peak / off peak.

Still cant get my head around why you wont let the usenet traffic burst when there is no one using the bandwidth.

Anyway, had enough of hearing BS from this lot, order is on Zen's system already.

Time to go to an ISP that PROVIDES A SERVICE.

Good luck to everyone else. Tongue
N/A

I am pleased that the speed has been increased, dont get me wrong, but I can't see the value in limiting a certain protocol beyond bronze off peak. I thought the SUP was supposed to protect the network from mega leaching? It seems 100gbPeaktime and 30gb off peak is too high for the infrastructure to sustain and this extra management is a response to PNs resistance to increasing network capacity in line with customer growth. I have used about 15gb (5gb)in just under 2 weeks this month, 37gb last month (mostly off peak) and 20ish the month before so I am well with the SUP but, beyond a certain level, I am being treated the same as somebody who is taking the mickey with their connection. I am not going to migrate as this is still a great ISP with a lot going for it (the Webspace, usenet service, static IP, good support etc) but I feel a bit disillusioned with how this whole fiasco has been handled. I only hope that lessons have been learn't and things will be more sensitively dealt with in future and as bandwidth becomes cheaper that the products are able to more effectively handle customer demands.
N/A

First the SUP (which I have never reached, but strongly disagree with) and now the USENET cap.......

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FICTIONAL
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear customer

We know that when you signed up for a plusnet account xxx years ago, you did so on the basis it was for unlimited access, however...because we have now got thousands more customers we need to screw you over by capping your service....We will of course follow the correct company procedure, this will involve a short questionaire that once received will be promptly ignored cos we will do whatever we want to maximise our profits.

We understand that even though you are not a constant 24/7 file leecher you do use your internet connection for downloading at least 3 hours a day... You must surely understand that we cannot allow this! Therefore we hope you enjoy your new download speed that is just below that of a 56k modem.

There is no need to thank us for the privilege, thats what we are here for. To filter out the minority and slowly but surely get rid of them so we can max out our profits.

yours sincerely,

The plusnet money machine
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next time you sell someone a service make sure you can sustain it....

best go waste some more time finding a new ISP.
N/A

Unfortunately yes it is. Without some sort of control of protocols like usenet they quickly and easily swallow up a huge amount of our capacity and this is just not sustainable.

See this confuses me :lol:

The SUP -Sustainable Usage Policy was introduced to allow PN to control their network and provide a futureproof sustainable service to their customers.

The SUP has only been in place a couple of months and already, the SUP is deemed unsustainable.

100GB/month/customer was supposed to be sustainable. 30GB/month/customer on-peak alone was supposed to be sustainable. Now 15GB/month is the new sustainable limit - for NNTP. If a user only used their connection for NNTP, their limit would be effectively 15GB/month - a fraction of what was stated to originally be sustainable. I fail to see how any particular protocol can create more of a strain than another. If I download 15GB from usenet using NNTP, it's the same as downloading 15GB from an HTTP or FTP server.

Personally I was unhappy with the SUP, and was extremely upset to be pulling 2.5Kb/s from usenet. I immediately requested my MAC key and one hour later had already passed that to MetroNet to commence my migration.

I recieved no notification of this new limit, even after the >15GB restrictions had been imposed. Great customer service. Looking at the ADSLGuide ISP comparator shows a steady decline in all ratings, and they approaching BT/Yahoo broadband levels. IMHO this speaks volumes....

Only 5 days left until decent service again!