cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a question...

N/A

Have a question...

Hi, I've been with PlusNet for over a year now or so. I am paying £30.99 monthly for my 2MB connection. I was just wondering if there is anything cheaper with the same features that I have now with the £30.99 option?

I've also looked around the site and I don't see the £30.99 service option anymore?

There is Premium for £21.99 - from the description it actually seems to be the same as I have at the moment, just that I pay £30.99 a month instead of £21.99 - why is this?

Thanks for your help Smiley
22 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Have a question...

...There is Premium for £21.99 - from the description it actually seems to be the same as I have at the moment, just that I pay £30.99 a month instead of £21.99 - why is this?

Probably just because you haven't changed your account to the cheaper one, but to be sure, what does it say your product is here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary
N/A

Re: Have a question...

Well it says this:

ADSL Home 1Mb - USB Starter Pack £29.99

Hmmm... probs I have to change it? I've never really followed what is happening with the ISP and never knew about the price changes :S

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Ful quote of preceding post removed as its just not needed.
N/A

Have a question...

Probably no good reason to stay on the current tarrif then Wink
By the way, it looks as though you also signed up for a £1/month domain name... are you actually getting anything for it?

I'm not sure of the exact situation... I think you can downgrade for free (once only), but best to check.
N/A

Have a question...

Oho oh... have I signed up for a £1 domain name?! I do remember wanting to do so but I never rlaly acted on it! :S That's just too weird.

Another thing, I've just been told (not sure if it's true) that, people who pay £30.00 a month will get a free upgrade to 4MB/8MB services??

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed. Please dont use ALL of a preceding post as a quote.
Community Veteran

Have a question...

October5, That is the theory yes, howeverwhen you will be able to receive these depends very much on when BT roll out the speeds.

The fact is that the 2mb premier service has been available for £21.99 since around April. At first thee were no benefis to those paying £29.99 or £39.99.

After a few disgruntled posts here and on ADSL Guide - we saw an announcement that those paying the higher premiums would be subject to higher download limits.

We were also told that just about al those people paying the higher premiums wee using an ammount of bandwidth that would be considered unsustainabe on the £21.99 product, (thats over 100GB per month or 30GB peak time)

As a speed upgrade costs £14.99, you could drop down to £21.99, and after two months you would have saved enough to pay for a speed upgrade when they are available.

The people paying £39.99 have so far paid upto £140 more than those on £21.99 - thats a heck of apenalty for not reading the forum dont you think?

Plusnet....

Is this another one of those users who use an ammount of bandwidth that would be considered unsustainable on the £21.99 tarrif?

Perhaps you would be so kind to advise the customer of exactly what he has been getting for his extra tenner a month since April?

Sorry, but thisis a real touchy subject for me as I feel PN are acting in a completely unnacceptable way regarding these £29.99 and £39.99 users.
JonathanW
Grafter

Have a question...

Hi,

That's correct, if you're on the £29.99 a month Premier account you'll get a free upgrade to 4mb, or as close to that as your line will support, once it becomes available on your exchange.
Community Veteran

Have a question...

And if his line will not support the higher speeds?
N/A

Have a question...

hi I was on that £29.99 a month account as i have been with plusnet for some time, then one day i visited the plusnet portal and saw that all the new customers were getting exactly the same thing for £21.99!!!

I raised a ticket and asked what the difference was and apparently there is no difference except plusnet make more profit from there older longstanding customers if they dont tell them of the changes.

I asked why they didnt tell me about this or change me automatically and they said i should have kept an eye on there portal, but if i wanted to change to this new tariff it would only cost me £14.99

there were lots of complaints on the forum and plusnet said we will change your accounts for free..

this was a long time ago.

Sounds like you have been paying to much for a very long time.
N/A

Have a question...

@october5
it seems this is not the first time you have fallen foul of pn's price changes, it happend in this thread http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=124425&highlight=#124425 that you started in sept '04, the difference being the last time there was a price reduction, you were automaticly charged less.

I think this may stand you in good stead for claiming a refund, as you could just say that you thought all further price reductions would automaticly come off your account, like that one did.

what do the rest of you guys think?
surely he stands a good chance of a refund 'cos of what happend in the past
Community Veteran

Have a question...

So what happens if the chaps line cannot take any more than 2mb?
N/A

Have a question...

what if the chap doesn't even want more than 2Mb?
Community Veteran

Have a question...

I do find it amazing how some specific questions can kill a thread dead.....

Heres another..... Pricing for the LLU. If it is set at the levels we see for the "existing" 4mb and 8mb services, then it will be far less competetive than the likes of bulldog and UKOnline, so what would be the point.

If it is set below the £39.99 point, then what is going to happen to the people currently paying £39.99 for 8mb? Do they get a refund?

So we have people paying for a service that PN may NEVER be able to offer them due to their line lengths. People paying for a service that they may NEVER want, but thanks to PN they were not told they had a choice, and a pretty sticky mess over LLU and higher speed pricing...

It is going to be interesting to see what happens when this timebomb goes off.

I'll shut up now before the shepherds crook appears and whisks me away for asking such scandalous questions...
Neil_A
Grafter

Have a question...

Hi Chesterfield,

I'm sure the comms team aren't deliverately avoiding your questions. It's more likely they are not on shift, simply busy on lots of other threads and forums or don't know the answer.

Regarding customers paying £29.99 for up to 4Mb and £39.99 for up to 8Mb these accounts come with higher usage allowances under the SUP policy and those customers can downgrade for free at any time. If once higher speeds are available (from some customers this will be 30th Nov) and customers lines can't support the speeds they will of course be offered the free downgrades. We need to see how many customers this will affect in reality, estimations are less than 15% won't be able to get 4Mb, but we simply don't knwo at this point.

Your question about LLU versus BT pricing is also valid. At present we are engaged in a small scale trial with Easynet and during the trial intend to make no changes to our pricing or SUP policy - but this could change as we are talking to more LLU providers to explore other possibilities. Again, at this stage it's not that the comms team are ignoring you, they just don't have the answers on some of the questions yet.

Hope this helps.
Community Veteran

Have a question...

Thanks for that Neil.

I am genuinely interested in how the future of these speeds and pricing pans out. Indeed being on an LLU enabled exchange I am very interested in this path...

I do fear that PN may be lining themselves up for some more bad publicity on various boards whatever happens now. There will no doubt be many in my situation where they cannot obtain speeds of any faster than 2mb (in my case 1mb) - but will have been paying for them anyway.

In theory, PN can perform a whoosh test on customers lines to establish if they will be able to receive the product they are paying for anyway. So when the big switch on starts to occur, there could be chaos.

Those customers paying 30 or 40 quid who did not know they could have dropped down to £21.99 may indeed be pacified to some extent that they are now being bumped up to 4mb or 8mb. However for those that can't go any faster than 2mb (or 1mb on the £30 package), will not be pleased I am sure - and by the numbers of customers, that could be one heck of a lot of disgruntled customers.

I think we should leave this here, as long as the OP is happy with the situation, as I fear I may be taking this thread into territory that once saw these boards in a pretty argumentative state.