cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have PlusNet started blocking ports?

willhome
Grafter

Recently (2 days ago) I started noticing that I could no longer connect to my MSDE (SQL server) database. The database sits on one of my dedicated servers and I use MS Access (on my computer) as a frontend.

At first I thought its was a problem with my server. But then I noticed No other machines I used Access on had this problem. I also recently came across a post that mentioned that port 1434 is blocked. This is the SQL server communication port (as well as 1433). I was just wondering if these ports are being blocked?

The refered post can be found on this forum at - https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31746&pn_session=88783ff0e3c996c863ad7c75bf85...
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Port 1434 is blocked (and has been seen SQL slammer appeared a couple of years ago) but 1433 isn't.
willhome
Grafter

Does anyone else have trouble connecting to MSDE or SQL server over the internet? I never used to have this problem.
willhome
Grafter

Ok, so I understand that the 1434 (and 445) ports are blocked. However I used to be able to connect to my MSDE server. How would that be possible if those ports have always been blocked?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

These ports have been blocked for over two years, so if you have been able to connect to that service in this time, then something else must be causing this problem.