cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I been upgraded?

N/A

Have I been upgraded?

Hi (first post by the way!),

Since the weekend, my sync speed has been showing a rock-solid 7.6Mbps - it hasn't dropped at all even after switching off, waiting 15 mins+, and back on - still showing 7.6Mbps when I hover over those little screens in the corner.

My Plusnet Account Details tell me I am on Premier Option 1 still. Isn't that supposed to change when you get Max'd or does it stay Prem option 1?

Also, something really odd -> Last year, around October time, even though I was on premier option 1, I was getting Plusnet Speedtest results of over 5Mpbs and had a nice fast connect (for a while at least), but alas it dropped back down again :-(.

Anyway, that being said, even though I am now syncing every time at 7.6, my speed-test results are very erratic (which is what I would expect from getting Max'd during the first ten days after reading stuff about it). I'm pleased if I have had the upgrade, but I haven't had an e-mail to suggest it has happened, and my account stats on the Plusnet site haven't changed. Shouldn't I get some kind of notification that it is happening now (I've been getting the usual "You will get a free upgrade" e-mail nonsense since November last year! So I don't count any of that as proper notification).

What is the normal procedure for getting Max'd - will my account details change after the 10 day training period? Or will my account always say Premier Option 1?

Anyway, at the risk of getting severely flamed, I have been with Plusnet for a couple of years, and have had good service since the start. When I went from 512 to 2Mbps, the switch was quick and painless (although I did pay to jump some queue if I remember correctly)... Okay, I did also need to buy a new dsl modem at the time because the crappy BT one I had couldn't cope (which I wasn't told I would need to do, and the guy in the support team didn't know that either), but I was still pleased with the service from Plusnet.

Another question: Is there a way to modify our own BRAS (no silly jokes please). I have a USB modem and use my computer as a software development machine (often requiring regular re-boot when testing stuff). I've heard this is likely to play havoc with a MAXdsl connection and will likely result in my connection speed getting hobbled. Can we 'lock' a BRAS profile to a certain level without it getting messed with by the line fault monitoring stuff or am I going to have to buy myself a more permanant solution (router?). I'm not too keen on that idea as I work for an energy company and am keen to conserve as much power as possible, which doesn't mean leaving equipment switched on 24 hours a day.

Well, that's enough for now, apart from saying hello to everyone - I've enjoyed reading through many of the posts here!

Thanks,

C.
5 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Re: Have I been upgraded?

Welcome!

Also, something really odd -> Last year, around October time, even though I was on premier option 1, I was getting Plusnet Speedtest results of over 5Mpbs and had a nice fast connect (for a while at least), but alas it dropped back down again :-(.

That would have been odd since noone had a faster connection than 2Mbps last October! Wink

By the way, as far as I can remember the "Option 1" tag was only applied to accounts when MaxDSL commenced in the Spring of this year
N/A

Have I been upgraded?

Tell me about it! I could prove it if they hadn't already dropped off the end of the speed test page (is it possible to view more than 20 speed test results?).
shellsong
Grafter

Have I been upgraded?

The Speedtester must have glitched! Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

Have I been upgraded?

Hello conradbrown and welcome.

Firstly, your account will stay Premier up to 8Mb option 1. Option 1 refers to your Peak time allowance (the other 2 options having a higher one).
You should have been notified, but many people haven't been.

You can't fix your BRAS rate - that would defeat the object of Max where it continually adjusts the rate to what your line can take.

It is likely that repeated rebooting, especially in quick succession, would adversely affect your Max rate, so it's likely that you would benefit by using a router instead of a USB modem. The router can stay connected to the line while your computer reboots numerous times per day with no effect on the connection or BRAS rate.
You can turn the router off when the computer is not in use - I turn mine off in the evening with the computer and on again next day (it's all plugged into the one connector) - and that should not affect your Max settings.

And finally, you can't rely on speed tests as anything but a rough indicator of what speeds you can do. as so many other factors come into play - state of the ISP, state of the network, your local exchange, etc etc. I get 4Mb plus about 8 a.m., but often below 1Mb in the evening.
And of course you'll never achieve your theoretical maximum speed for similar reasons.

Your sync rate needs to be high first, then your Max Stable Speed will eventually be adjusted to reflect this, and the Max Stable Speed will limit what you actually get. I wouldn't bother with speed tests too much.

Hope this helps.
N/A

Have I been upgraded?

I managed to find out how to get my techincal stats last night. I have a conexant Accessrunner DSL modem which has a "Control Aplet" - it wasn't until last night that I discovered you need to hit Alt-P to get technical line details.
I think my stats are quite reasonable. I have a downstream SNR of around +11 to 13db at a sync of 7.6mbs. I can see my line is fully interleaved up (with a depth of 32 on the downstream if that means anything). - I'm not sure if it needs to be though.

I'm in work at the mo and I don't get home until late tonight.

I can't wait for this 10 days to be over with. I'm hoping for a good speed boost. (although I'm not complaining with what I have right now!).

p.s. I'm less than a k from my exchange so line length is not a prob (and due to having a LOT of phone extensions, I have done the 'remove ringer loop' trick to help the signal a tad).