Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the portal changed recently?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

I've noticed a number of presentation problems on the portal recently - has it been changed??

On my IE 6.0.2900.2180 (XP SP2) platform, on some occasions, the main body content of the web page is placed below the navigation block rather than to the right of it.

On my IE 5.00.3105.0106IS (Win95 - yes it is old bt it works) platform, only the body of the page is presented; the Plusnet banner, horizontal navigation bar and the left hand navigation bar are mising. All that is seen is "Member Centre" with the orange underline and the light bulb and the logon box and ads below.

Kevin
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It's a known fault that should have been fixed by yesterday but they are obviously still having trouble finding how they broke it. :?
Superuser
Superuser

John,

Thank you for such a prompt reply. Yes, web pages are all so easy to break and very difficult to fix, especially if using CSS designed to work on multiple browsers.

Cheers,
Kevin
JonathanW
Grafter

As mentioned by John above, we are currently working on a fix for this. Though could I just ask whether its just the forum that you've experienced this with, or have you experienced it on other parts of the portal as well?
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jon,

It is all over the portal. As per my original post it is very bad on IE5.0 - the logon page has just got the logon boxes and ads. I have logged on from that platform to check this through for you - the welcome page is also without page banner, horizontal navigation and LHS navigation.

I have done some looking around for you... This problem is occuring in both the forum and the portal. Not all forum pages show the problem (not yet found a pattern). Within the portal, the HELP & SUPPORT page renders correctly, whilst the CONTACT US page does not. I observe the following, which may be relevent, but might be red herrings!

The pages are calling 2 versions of the main style sheet...

<style type="text/css">

@import url(/assets/stylesheets/styles_support.css);
@import url(/assets/stylesheets/styles_support_v2.css);
</style>

Is it possible that there are conflicts between these two?

Looking through other parts of the H&S section, Customer Service & Service Status are OK. Sales enquiries renders as per the "Raise a query with Contact Us" pop-up window, but in the current window - consequently all on-screen website navigation is lost (need to hit the back arrow).

"Is this stupid??" & "Can't email AOL" in the community support forum renders incorrectly. I've looked at he HTML source code but cannot readily see anything different between pages that work and those that do not.

Hope this helps.
Kevin
Superuser
Superuser

Jon,

Interestingly enough, this topic displayed OK until I made the above posting, after which it now appears below the navigation bar.

Regards,
Kevin
Superuser
Superuser

But now it is OK!

Is there any possibility that this is to do with length or number of posts on the topic?

Kevin
JonathanW
Grafter

Thanks for those detailed notes, I've passed them through to the people who are working on this problem.

For the forums, it's being caused by the width of the posts, which is why it doesn't happen on most pages.
N/A

It seems to have happened since the Awards graphic was removed from under the lefthand side menu. You also see it on the first loading of the "connection settings" page of the portal as the big menu with the icons appears under the menu to start with and then jumps up in to the correct location.

I'm also getting the individual "tabs" of the product pages appearing one under another and then jumping to the single tab with the others showing when clicked (as they're meant to) but I'd never seen the 2nd/3rd/4th tab appearing inline in the page until this problem started the other day.

Interestingly enough though on those pages the Future UK Internet Awards graphic is still there, so maybe that's just a coincidence.
Community Veteran

Well there is one easy solution! Firefox!
Superuser
Superuser

For the forums, it's being caused by the width of the posts, which is why it doesn't happen on most pages.

Jon,

Surely, the posts are only wide if there is an embedded graphic, otherwise they wrap in the available space. Also it being a "wide post" problem would not explain why a given posting (e.g. this one) sometimes is OK and other times it is not.

Regards,
Kevin
JonathanW
Grafter

The issue also appears to be caused by things such as long urls in quote boxes, and is possibly also intermittently caused by the text in your code box above. Though I'm not fully aware of everything that is causing it, and only have the information provided to me shortly after the problem was initially raised, so there could be a few other things causing it.
N/A

When is this going to be fixed? I thought the message on the Service Status the other day made it sound like the developers knew exactly what it was, and were in the final stages of testing and pretty much ready to fix it.

Also to pretty much remove all change of it being post-specific, I've just had the forum "search" page do exactly the same, and appear under the left-hand menubar, so it doesn't seem to be long post titles or images in posts which are causing it...
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Tis occuring here aswell (in both of my browsers (Avant Browser and Orca Browser))
N/A

Is it happening anywhere else..

Hi Jon

In relation to your question of "Is it just the forum" I spent an hour the other night trying to fix my PC as I couldn't see the control panel under 'connection settings' on the portal - then I realised it was just off the bottom of the screen Shockedops: , but all other parts of the 'members' area on the portal seems OK.

Just tried it again, and it's still broken Sad