cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Usenet throttling been cut?

N/A

To my amazement I was able to download at approx 200K this morning from Easynews, tried it again mid afternoon and still nice and fast, jsut tried again at 17:00 and still getting 200K - is this the end of the bad Usenet speeds or is this a fluke?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Yeah better here at the moment just started d/l usein 4 connections and 220K..
useing usenetserver..

Will just have to see how things go for the next 30mins

thxs
N/A

I wouldn't be so happy yet. Wait for 20:00 or so...
N/A

I wouldn't be so happy yet. Wait for 20:00 or so...

60kbps...

someone said that usenet wasnt supposed to be throttled and there was a PN post regarding this, but i cant find it
N/A

someone said that usenet wasnt supposed to be throttled and there was a PN post regarding this, but i cant find it

How are these two from ADSLguide?

Number 1:
The second stage is as we've described before with the gold/silver/bronze queues. At this stage we only drop traffic when the network is busiest and firstly that would only be bronze traffic. So in theory we could see any traffic from the bronze queue, i.e. P2P or Usenet, dropped, in reality the traffic that is dropped is only in proportion to size of that traffic type. As P2P is much larger in volume than Usenet and the most we ever drop is 5-10% of the bronze queue it's really only the P2P traffic that is being dropped.

Number 2:
However, the traffic that is dropped is only P2P traffic, it doesn't drop Usenet (at least not in normal operation). In exceptional circumstances it could drop Usenet traffic (e.g. if we lost multiple central pipes), but so far this hasn't been necessary and the most we've seen since setting up the queues is about a 10% drop if P2P traffic.

edit:duff link :?
N/A

All right i knew it was going to happen.

20:30 and 40k... Cry

but i was trying to be positive

thxs
N/A

Mine was bouncing around a bit last night but in general was ok. I will test it later today, maybe someone at PN forgot to turn the throttle up yesterday :lol: