cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has someone just flicked a switch?

N/A

Since about 6.30pm today I've been getting usenet (port 443) downloads at a pathetic 20KB/s.

About 5 minutes ago it just lept to about 250KB/s.

I normally get over 600KB/s around this time - sometimes even 800KB/s.

What's going on?
4 REPLIES
James
Grafter

There are rate limitations in place from 6-10pm.

If you are seeing massive drop from 5.59-6pm and 10-10.01pm then I'd be interested to hear the difference in performance.

Btw - For what it's worth, we have tested without these rate limits in place and between 6-10pm the per user experience was actually worse.
N/A

Normally I get around 120-150KB/s until about 10pm, then it leaps up to around 600KB/s. Usually around midnight it then does another leap to 800KB/s. Although, saying that, I've never made a note of precise times.

I'm not sure about the drop around 6pm as I'm normally at work then.

Don't get me wrong, I think the above speeds are perfectly acceptable; fair-usage and all, but the 20KB/s last night was quite disappointing.
N/A

...the per user experience was actually worse

aaagh! Wink
Why is this sort of wording used so much? It isn't clear whether you mean the average download rate for usenet is worse, or port 443, or some sort of average user (regardless of protocol or traffic type).
James
Grafter

Sorry Smiley

Between 6 and 10pm, when we removed the rate limits, the speeds that customers were seeing on Usenet traffic were worse. This is because of the multi threaded nature of usenet meaning that a select few were able to gain extremely good speeds, resulting in the majority getting ones in the very low region.

The rate limitations ensure that a fairer download rate is seen by everyone.