Http downloaded > 200 Kb/s

I've seen lots of email traffic about scripts running at the start of a
new month but I don't start a new month till tomorrow so why have
I being effected ?

I'm not going to raise a ticket till I see what happens at switch over
tomorrow.

I know +Net are trying to please us all but why must they continually
drop the ball with implementation of THEIR policies. I assume they
tested all the scripts before releasing them.

I work in engineering and if I had as many complaints as +Net
I'd be out the door.

Here is hoping for better speeds tomorrow.

Jim
9 REPLIES
N/A

Has somebody Broke the Internet ?

to quote myself from another thread
Hmm, seems ok for me - screenshot.

well i'm getting 60k/s max (occasionally spiking to the hundreds for a fraction of a second) on usenet and/or torrents, while other downloads can reach 200k/s without or in conjunction with these downloads. there's no change to my setup, so it seems obvious this is just peak time throttling/shaping.

do i take it then that plusnet employees are immune to peak time throttling/shaping?

while my torrents run at around 60k/s my newsgroup downloads run at 1-4k/s. if i turn off the torrents the newsgroup runs at 60k/s. regardless of these downloads an http download can take my overall download speed to the full 200k/s, so i'm evidently seeing plusnet's nasty "shaping" policy at work for the first time.
N/A

bounce all the traffic through an http proxy then Wink
N/A

3.43am and i can't get over 25kb/sec torrent speeds. I'll probably be migrating after this billing period. I've had enough now... Cry
N/A

Here Here, lets all gather and migrate together.
Cos i am sick of 25kbs d/l speeds too, and i have alot of GB's till ive done over 30Gb peak. That doesnt matte anyhow cos i am getting 25kbs d/l speeds all the time.
N/A

i'm not having the problem tonight.

i can't prove that it wasn't a remote network issue, so i shan't provide unreserved apologies, but i'm satisfied for the moment.
Neil_A
Grafter

Hi there,

At 3am there is no reason from our side that you'd be only getting 3kbps on P2P. It would be worth raising a ticket if this is happening consistently. As always there are lots of other explanations for slow P2P.
N/A

This is a joke.

My account kicked into the new 'vision' profile on the 21st and my torrents are better, but still not maxxing out as they are supposed to be now. Typically I was only seeing 1mbit speeds on average and I'm paying for an alledged 2mbit service. We're suppose to get 20gb of clean p2p right? And my test was offpeak to. And the torrent had hundreds of seeds and not many peers. Not impressed.
N/A

They capp p2p speeds all the time, or rather i think statistically 8am - 12am. So it doesnt matter how many seeds you have, even if like me you were d/l with 400 seeds and 70 peers and still got 25kbs at 10am. Plusnet are excellent for people who want to browse the internet and get direct http downloads, such as updates etc, but no way in hell are they good for anything else.
jimmcginty
Grafter

Finally got time to check p2p.

Getting 30-60 kB/s with 33 seeds & 29 peers

Goodiness I used to get that on Wanadoo 512 K.

I'll try a closer torrent and off-peak

Jim