cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone actuley got the 8mb upgrade

N/A

Just asking been 2 months now and never seen any one post weather they have it or not so all those that have lets be hearing about it Cheesy
92 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

Hi there,

We do have active customers trialling these products at the moment. We are set to increase the number of customers taking part before long, however the products will not be widespread until BT complete the trials.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Thanks for the reply my exchange is due next for the last visit will keep my fingires crossed Cheesy
csogilvie
Grafter

The most you are likely to get at the moment is 2MB, the trials are only being carried out in London and Strathclyde. 4MB and 8MB is not likely to be available until teh Autumn, according to PlusNet's FAQ.
N/A

NB: Highly subject to change, take Autumn to be Autumn 2006.
N/A

Unrealistic Expectations of speeds above 2MB's

Hello,

I think the subject of speeds above 2MB has got many users quite confused (I'm not entirely sure why though?) and there seems to be a great deal of speculation going on about this subject. The same confusion & speculation has lead to unhappy users and this is reflected in posting in the Force9 forums too.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

your being optimistic here, this is BT we're talking about.. :?
Proclus
Grafter

your being optimistic here, this is BT we're talking about.. :?

True bt aren't the quickest

Just going off topic for a second.

Triaxor your sig says
TRIaXOR™: Ex-Plusnet Customer and forum squatter

Well, how come you still have an account. That you can use, to post in this forum?
N/A

Simple, My account doesnt cease till June 21st of which i'm paid upto Wink hopefully then PN will be gratious enough and downgrade my account to Dialup keeping my username active Smiley
Community Veteran

So are there any actual customers out there on 8mb, by that I mean are the 8mb users employess home accounts, or are they actual bonafide non employee people.

Seems strange that there are no actual customers on here spouting on about how great 8mb is....
csogilvie
Grafter

There will be customers, yep, doubt theres any employees given where the exchanges were - London and Strathclyde (exchanges). I believe there are going to be more participants added, at some point too.
N/A

So were not going to see it till autum or poss next year all the hype about it being availble from april was a load of crap then I might just down grade then and save myself some money Cheesy
N/A

Just a thought on all this clamour for more speed... as we get more users with bigger pipes unless the hosts keep one step ahead the available download speed from the destination is still going be roughly the same as it is now... bandwidth is only finite and the more people use the finite space available we'll start to see speeds flat lining unless core capacity and capacity out to the server farms etc increases dramatically.
N/A

And this is funny when I check the Exchange Status Checker Furthermore the dates given for when any DSLAM is upgraded is subject to change.

there right there they have changed it 5 times :?:
N/A

easyman: i would!

solstans: indeed!! And also don't forget that with this clammour (sp?) for extra download speeds, your upload speed has not been increased one iota and some services rely on upload bandwidth too. P2P being one obvious one, another maybe streaming media - i'm not too up on that.

So, especially where the download rate is proportionate to the upload rate (which i thought it was with bittorrent for instance) you can have a 100Mbit download speed (theoretical of course) but without an increase in upload bandwidth it will be as much use as a chocolate poker for those services Smiley

Obviously still nice to have for normal use though.