13 REPLIES
N/A

Has ANYONE got 8meg BB yet

I Do! :lol: for ages!!
N/A

J,

You old bragger!! Yes! rub the salt into the wound why dont you?? :lol: :lol:
I've been MAXED and the best I've received is 6.2megs & since then more like 4megs most of the time.

Ivan
N/A

ivan,

me a bragger! never!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
N/A

J,

Yah!! Yah!! Yah!! just keep pressing the return key mate!! :lol: :lol:

Ivan
N/A

J,

But seriously how long exactly have you had 8megs, what sort of speed test or router log speeds (NOT your MSR speed as shown by F9) are you getting as a matter of interest?

**Come on then if your going to bragg mate, prove itHuh Tongue

Ivan
N/A

ok then,

i have had maxdsl for the last 6 months, was about the 30th Nov when it came on.

when this came on, i had terrible connection problems, the speeds where about 32k each way, and it would not stay connected for longer than 5 mins!

also it depends on how long the connection has been live for, say if i reboot my router off overnight, and switch it back on, i tend to get about 5mb downstream, after a few days this way go to about 2.5/3mb down.

the other stuff i post later, at work just now
N/A

I got maxed about a week ago. My MSR went up to 8000 a couple of days ago and today F9 have lifted the throttle and i'm getting more than 2mbps ! Hoorah !

One priviso though. My router has never moved from an 8128 synch speed, yet on the F9 speed test i'm only getting about 5mbps. Dunno why :roll:
N/A

Haven't been maxed or moved onto the new VMU - and now approaching the 2nd billing point since these "upgrades" were due to be instigated :roll:

ho hum
tonymunro
Grafter

Too far away from the exchange so even when I do get maxed up it won't be 8 megs Cry Cry Cry
N/A

Too far away from the exchange so even when I do get maxed up it won't be 8 megs Cry Cry Cry

Makes no difference anyway, I have a perfect 8meg sync very close to the exchange, but I've still never seen a speed test report higher than 4 megs even during quiet off peak times..... f9 simply don't have the bandwidth available on their network to allow you to have 8 megs anyway.
N/A

Makes no difference anyway, I have a perfect 8meg sync very close to the exchange, but I've still never seen a speed test report higher than 4 megs even during quiet off peak times..... f9 simply don't have the bandwidth available on their network to allow you to have 8 megs anyway.

Looks like I might be jumping ship anyway.

I'm getting fed up to the back teeth of paying for something I can't use to it's fullest.

For a couple of quid more each month I can have an immediate regrade, no convoluted, impossible to decipher SUP/FUP and a larger peak time download limit with a smaller peak time.

If there has been no action on my account by the time my DD has been taken (due to take it tomorrow...) I reckon that will be as good a time as any to request my MAC code.

F9? More like FUBAR!
N/A

I thought exactly the same thing, until I logged onto the BTw speed test and the results weren't that much better. Perhaps the exchanges are reaching their limit ?
N/A

Why you WONT get 8megs!!

Hello mach0sker,

Here is an excellent article from the Guardian Technology section today (see below):-

Broadband speeds

I have used Dan Elwood's speed test, a PC program, and ADSL Guide (http://tinyurl.com/iq9w) to test my broadband speed. My line was shown to be capable of 6.5Mbps by the BT automatic test prior to upgrade. Using the above tests I have achieved over 5Mbps, but generally the speed is around 2-3.5Mbps. BT's online test site - used as part of its fault reporting process - gave a meagre 2.1Mbps. How can I convince my ISP there is something wrong? My next door neighbour, also an Eclipse 8Mbps customer, gets even worse results.
John Loader

JS: The new "up to 8Mbps" services don't guarantee any particular speed, and the way the technology works, you are never going to get more than 7.15Mbps (see http://tinyurl.com/m5mva). This can be further reduced by the distance from the exchange, the quality of the wiring, your router and PC software set-up, and contention at the exchange. The contention ratio for home users is still 50:1, and the exchange capacity will not provide 50 users with 7Mbps at once, so 3.5Mbps could be considered reasonable. Try the line at about 4.30am, when there will probably be few users, except for the file-sharers. If you get 5Mbps or more, there's probably not much wrong with your set-up. And if an ISP is not swayed by the "meagre 2.1Mbps" you get from BT's test site, they are unlikely to be persuaded by alternative test results.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1771604,00.html

Regards Ivan