cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware

N/A

Hardware

Hi. I've been having quite a few disconnects (as anyone reading forums will know me by now Tongue), nad well. So far, i've swapped filters round, and still had the problem, with everything else disconnected etc.

Today, i'm trying the router connected straight into the master socket with everything else disconnected. Hopefully it works.
One thing to try, to check my HardWare is Ok. How do i know if it is Ok? lol.

I would of posted earlier, but had a power cut. Typical :S
30 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Hardware

Hi

Best way to eliminate your hardware is to either borrow someone elses router or modem and see if it gives the same results, or try your modem / router on someone elses adsl enabled line that is known to be working. In either case if the other person is not with PlusNet you may need to change the username and password to yours (if it's on your line) or theirs (if you try your equipment on someone elses line).

Phil
N/A

Hardware

Just had another disconnect. DSL light went off again. The time approx 2:35pm, roughly the same time as it disconnected yesterday. So, i don't know if that means anything!! It went off last night aswell, somewhere around the time between 8-10pm, i think. I will keep eye out. It is just really annoying. We've been waiting 3 years for BroadBand, and we get it, and this happens.

Sorry, but i am unable to test other routers on my line, as i live in the sticks, lol.
Should i try re-installing software.

Because, the router is plugged straight into the master socket at the moment.

Weird thing is. Twice it has done this when the phone has rang. Now, we've got another phone line the house (different number) and the phone rang after it disconnected.. coinsedence that time. Well, if you could give me more info, would be a great help as i've can't download anything large incase it disconnects.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Hardware

Might be a filter problem if it occurs when your phone rings. Another possibility if it happens at the same times each day is electrical interference from something. Does your central heating turn on or off at that time? Or a light on a timer or anything like that?

Phil
N/A

Filters

This sounds like your losing sync

Do you have a filter inplace for that other phone ?
N/A

Hardware

Yes i am losing sync. But, why i don't know.

Nothing comes on at that time. So, that's ruled out.

Do you have a filter inplace for that other phone ?

The other number is a seperate line. Nothing to do with these sockets, it is totally seperate.

I just don't understand why it keep's doing. If it goes off at a similar time as last night aswell, shall i note that down? Also, what else could be causing it to go off at same time? Sorry for firing these questions at you. I just want to get to the bottom of it. Also, we got wireless setup, and i don't know anyone else with wireless setup around here. Well, there is my cousin, but he lives like 4 hours away, lol.
N/A

What model router/modem do you have

Can you get the line stats out of your modem/router, that would help us make a better judgement
N/A

Hardware

I had a very similar problem, and eventually tracked it down to some unused conductors/wires in the telephone cable. I disconnected the unused wires from the block terminal nearest where I pick up my ADSL service - and all is now fine - no disconnects at all!!!
My theory was that the unterminated wires were picking up mains interference, such as turning on a fluorescent light.
N/A

Hardware

Can you get the line stats out of your modem/router, that would help us make a better judgement

How do i do that mate?
N/A

Hardware

You'll have to check the block terminals where you have sockets, and then visually inspect them to see which ones are being used. Then on the socket where you have ADSL service, disconnect the unused ones.
If your unsure, then get a telephone engineer out - this will cost you.
N/A

Hardware

Ok. But i was actually asking astyler about the modem/router question, lol.
N/A

Hardware

Better to fix it then just spend your time faffing around looking at stats! Disconnecting the unused wiring will cause no harm - that's as long as you disconnect the correct ones.If that doesn't work, at least you've eliminated one possible cause.
N/A

Hardware

Well, i don't really want to be messing around with stuff i don't understand. (The unused wires bit).
I would like to know how to see router/modem stats for future reference. So, if someone could please tell me how.
N/A

Hardware

Complete and utter joke now. 9pm, phone rings, dsl light goes off, internet light goes off.. same again. It really is beginning to annoy me. a 24 / 7 connection which.. cuts out 3-5 times a day? I know this is not PlusNet, but i am just saying whatever it is a complete joke. I can't download anything as knowing my luck it will cut out. I need to check modem/router status... how?

I need to re-install software aswell. But, i keep asking. When i re-install, do i just re-install the router sofware?? Or the wireless adapter to? And do i have to go through the whole put in this detail and that when doing it?
N/A

Hardware

Hi

if you state the make and model of your router then we can find out what you need to do to get your stats..

thxs