cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware help!

N/A

Hardware help!

Hi,

I need to run some kind of extension of my ADSL to my computer which has been moved to another room.

My phone point socket, which has the ADSL & phone point on (2 seperate sockets) are in one room. I tried puttin my extenstion cable into the Phone socket then an ADSL filter into the end of that cable. When I plugged my ADSL modem into it, it wouldn't connect.

So im assuming that I need to plug an extension cable into the ADSL socket of the face plate as it's already been split in the socket box on the wall.

What adapter do I need to get with the square point on the end to go into this socket?

Daniel
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Hardware help!

Just to add:-

If I were to take off the face plate with both connections on it & replace with another face plater with just a single phone socket on then use extension cable & filter, will this also work?

Daniel
N/A

I would not like to comment with regards to changing the face plate (this is something BT should be able to help with). With regards to the extension cable, as opposed to a normal BT extension cable you would need what is called an RJ11 extension cable. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Neil
--
| Neil Minor.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---
Community Veteran

If you have a BT installed faceplate with built in microfilters then yes you can run an extension to an extension box (RJ11 or 45), or just buy a big RJ45 or RJ11 cable (not an xover cable). The extension can be wired into the back or simply plug into the RJ45 socket on the faceplate.

You won't need any additional microfilters.

You could however run a cable from the normal BT phone (RJ12) socket and use mircrofilters on that if you prefer.

Chris
N/A

Chris wrote:

> You could however run a cable from the normal BT phone (RJ12) socket and use mircrofilters on that if you prefer.

I rather doubt that. My interpretation of the original post is that the telephone point is already filtered. If this is the case the ADSL frequency has already been discarded.

Extend the ADSL connector.

Regards,

Brian
N/A

Chris wrote:

> You could however run a cable from the normal BT phone (RJ12) socket and use mircrofilters on that if you prefer.

I rather doubt that. My interpretation of the original post is that the telephone point is already filtered. If this is the case the ADSL frequency has already been discarded.

Extend the ADSL connector.

Regards,

Brian
N/A

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I have ordered a few cables to try, lets hope all works.

Daniel