cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had enough and want out...

N/A

Hello all,

I had my first taste of Broadband last month, and have 'pigged' out a bit (1mb Premium), as a result of crawling along on dial-up for so long.

Although my downloads are now drying up, I feel unsettled staying with Plusnet after visiting this forum. The possibility of being 'shoved' onto the BBP is not something I feel very happy about...from what I see dial-up is faster!

Ok... my own fault? Well being a Plusnet newbie, I did not realise that there were limits (undifined) that should be adhered to. I simply did not see any warnings when I signed up.

So today I am going to take pre-emptive action and request my MAC code, before I am dealt 'the hand of wrath'!

My own opinion is that as speeds increase users will naturally demand more, and as the wider use of streaming content becomes the 'norm', people will be soaking up ever greater dollops of bandwidth... if Plusnet have established themselves as a 'watch your back, we're a restricted service' then surely potential new customers will avoid them like the plague?
67 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I think you are over reacting a bit here Sad

To get put on the "Bad Boys Pipe" as its become known you have to be doing some VERY serious data transfers over a sustained period.

No one is going to clobber you if you have a few days or even a month of very heavy usage. Cool
Its only if you keep it up in an unreasonable fashion that you may cause a problem.
serenityvalley
Grafter

Leaving is a bit rash, isn't it? I've also been with PlusNet little over a month (OK, close to 2). My first month had hit 126GB's of bandwidth use, so obviously I paid close attention to the debate. I've adjusted my usage and am on course for around 80GB's this month and probably around 70 thereafter. This hasn't forced any real change in how I use the net and, so, as long as PlusNet don't start harrassing me, I don't see any reason to walk.
LiamM
Grafter

I would give it some time myself. I consider myself to be a fairly heavy user. Regularly downloadin DVD ISOs, Music, Streaming Video etc... and my average is around 60-80Gb. Nothing near Bad Boy Pipe levels.
the_norris
Grafter

My usage is about the same as martinfamily . Max i've done is 62GB.
N/A

calestra,

In order to get near the 0.3% (bad boys) from my understanding you would need to download more than double what customers like Martinfamily & Co have been downloading, and this level of downloading would need to be repeated on a month on month basis.

I have to agree with John here, I think your over reacting a little . Just enjoy the service and don't worry. Cheesy

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

the point is they never gave anyone a real chance, not the fact you wont get put on the bbp now, this is just one situation judging from how they handled this you can be sure how they will react when something else happens.
N/A

I just have this feeling of things getting worse rather than better. Personally I don't want to have to worry about limits and constantly checking my usage, even if I go down to 1gb a month (unlikely).
N/A

the point is they never gave anyone a real chance, not the fact you wont get put on the bbp now, this is just one situation judging from how they handled this you can be sure how they will react when something else happens.

Erm, they admitted it was handled badly, so why on earth would they handle a simular situaton badly again? Think...

Plus, this exact solution was never intended to be implemented again. The next time somthing needs to be done will be completely different apparently.
N/A

I am in exactly the same position, I have not been put on the bad pipe of doom or had any warning emails from Plusnet.

I have had my MAC and submitted my migration request, for several reasons and one reason was I "thought" I had purchased an unlimited (queue contension arguments) subject to the AUP (just before its dragged out again) and now find that is not the case.

The product I thought I was paying for is not the one I have been given so I am off.

Oh that and the handeling of the whole situation made me very disappointed so I wont give Plusnet any more of my money.

Simple really voted with my feet.
N/A

Here, here marand...
Community Veteran

Plusnet have stated on many occations that only the 240 people that have already been selected and put on the managed pipe will be effected.

If you did not receive the email then it will not effect you. You won't be put on the managed pipe even if you do download more than the 100GB/month proposed (but not yet confirmed) 'fair usage' figure or the 140GB/month which was the lowest average monthly figure over 3 months that te 240 highest users used.

What plusnet are doing is making sure the vast majority of users (including you) are not adversly effected by a VERY SMALL minority of users who were using an excessive amount of bandwidth. It is because of this action that we will still get very good speeds and the costs for the service will not increase. Plusnet have managed the VERY SMALL number of users so they don't have to implement caps so you are still able to download a lot of information without restriction. In effect they are looking after the majority of it's customers which to me is a sign of a company that considers it's customers very highly.

What plusnet are also doing is trying to get across the idea that we are all sharing the bandwidth available and it is only fair that we use our connections sensibly and remember other users are using the service as well. This way plusnet can offer a very good service to everyone at an excellent price.
N/A

From what I've read in these forums as well as other open forums on the internet, I don't see the problem here. I doubt you'll find a "friendly" ISP willing to swallow 140Gb/mth+ consistent downloads on an account that's only costing <£20/mth, but I guess you simply won't know it until you swap.

Other posts in the PlusNet forums mention the type of users coming up on PlusNet's rader are those who download in excess of over 140Gb/mth constantly (typically 3mth) and are asked to regulate their use first then take further actions if nothing changes.

This isn't unfair.

What IS unfair is 0.3% of PlusNet users consuming 10% of available bandwidth http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23157, choking up MY and 99.7% of other PlusNet users internet access. If you're a part of the 0.3%, then thank you for visiting.

I'll still be strongly recommending PlusNet, even more so now, as the people I refer to PlusNet can be confident they'll get an experience they enjoy without be hindered by those few who hurt the rest.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

So will I. Anyone not affected that leaves because PlusNet are trying to IMPROVE the service must be daft. Take a look at the forums for other ISP's, I'm sure users on those forums would welcome the action taken by PlusNet

I'll still be strongly recommending PlusNet, even more so now, as the people I refer to PlusNet can be confident they'll get an experience they enjoy without be hindered by those few who hurt the rest.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote tags fixed for you.
N/A

yeah your right I am daft.....I dont agree with you so I must be daft....I dont agree with Plusnet so I must be daft.....I dont see any reason to argue I am just leaving as it was suggested I do if I dont like it......never mind hey I`m Alright Jack.....I am not effected YET, I am not included YET but its not going to happen again....right you must be DAFT if you believe that !