cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had anyone had their speed upgrade to 8Mb yet?

N/A

Evili am still waiting to be upgrade to 8Mb but glad I am on monthly contract so I can cancel at anytime and move with other ISP to get the speed. I checked my exchange and they can support my 8Mb.. and I got my modem which can support speed up to 24Mbps. So still waiting or should I change to other ISP? Evil Evil
18 REPLIES
N/A

Didn't you get the email saying you need to opt in?

Mine has been upgraded already and is stable at 7.6Meg.
N/A

What do you mean by ned to opt in? Explain please. I don't think I got an email about it.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
lingbob
Grafter

N/A

Thanks

First time I see this. surely they shoudl let us know.. so i had to wait for few more weeks before it happen.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote removed again. Please don't quote all of the post immediately before you reply
lingbob
Grafter

PlusNet announced this on the 15th June in one of their service status emails which can be viewed here.
N/A

I've opted in twice: a couple of weeks ago and a couple of months ago, yet I still have not been upgraded.
N/A

@jamesandsam

I bet there are 125,000 to 150,000 who have not seen the e-mail as there are perhaps a tiny fraction of users seeing the service status announcements as mail or via the newsgroups or the PUG boards, or here, or on ADSLGuide.

@moggycat

Since you have to give 30 days notice, once you've firmly decided to switch ISP, use the PN Wizard to request they give you a MAC... You'll still get billed for a whole month next time your billing date comes around, but you can claim back any days after the 30th from when you requested the MAC. (If you're of the view that it might be a hassle to get a refund, wait until just before your billing date and then you'll have used most of the days you've paid for as part of the 30 days notice.)

Unfortunately, with the way BT Wholesale is handling DSL Max, at present, it still looks like some people are seeing rather mixed results. OK, some of the results might be speed test problems, some might be to do with the TCP settings on their PC, and some might be within either the BTW or ISP network, so all I'm pointing out is that switching ISP isn't bound to give you a faster connection.

The fact your router can cope with faster speeds, and the exchange has been set up to handle 8000 kbps, means little unless you have reasonably low attenuation and moderate or good SNR (noise margin). If you are unlucky enough to be a long way from the exchange, it means there's little or no guarantee you will have a faster or more stable connection. In fact, it isn't impossible that it can be worse afterwards.
N/A

I emailed opting in the first time it was announced, about 2pm that day. 2 weeks late i got a reply acknowlegding that email, but I still haven't recieved my upgrade.
N/A

I emailed opting in the first time it was announced, about 2pm that day. 2 weeks late i got a reply acknowlegding that email, but I still haven't recieved my upgrade.
mrchalk
Grafter

What a joke this q-jump is mate, wouldnt matter if you had opted in or not - it doesnt seem to make a difference.
N/A

Announcement for everyone (unofficial).

I don't know if the old url still works, but there's an option buried in help and support.

http://www.plus.net/wizard/index.html?JZu1oo1alTUguBqXkOmsXN1sTrjfO50ErK%2FwMqHIE2UbsmsFVHKn0CdXDX97...

I think you are supposed to go there if you want to get Max. Don't know how long it takes though. I was lucky, put in a q jump in April and was maxed while on holiday in early May, so maybe missed most of the instability because I wasn't connected.
No... that can't be right...
N/A

Well, you gotta ask yourself if you are running a business and seeing there lots of people who want the upgrade. This also applied to others if speed change every time e.g. speed upgrade to 100Mb in future notice.

I used to work for BT Yahoo! Broadband and the broadband is control by BT Wholesale which upgrade your speed and not Plusnet or other.. Unless they install their own equipment which they can do so.

Still waiting. Same applied to NTL which I am waiting to be upgrade and they say first week of July. So. i will keep an eye on my NTL and PlusNet. See which come out on top.
N/A

thought I test my line speed, using BT software and turn out to be that I won't be able to get 8Mb but max speed I can get is 5Mb. possible down to distance between my home and exchange.
N/A

Very few people can get the full speed, which isn't 8 mb download, but more like 7.15 mb/s.
If you live withing a few hundred metres of an exchange and have good wiring, cable and equipment you should get full-rate. If not.. the only trouble with fast speeds is that there isn't the capacity in the infrastructure to handle it, which is why ISPs limit the amount you can download.
There is no longer such a thing as a fixed contention ratio either, only Business accounts getting priority over Home. With these speeds it doesn't take many people to use all the capacity in a pipe, and now I read that even those on fixed 2 mb services are being affected by the number of people on Max.

I think that about 50% can get 5 mb/s or over, a very few get the maximum, and everyone else is on 4.5 mb or less. Some find themselves with slower speeds than they had before.

Important note for anyone who hasn't read it, Plusnet is no longer automatically upgrading customers. If you want Max you have to ask for it now.
If you ask for Max you could get IPstream or LLU, unless you opt out of LLU, in which case you might not be put on an LLU exchange. In the past at least, LLU opt-outs were actioned or ignored depending on how much communication there was amongst the comms team at Plus.