Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP web download throttling?

ipdialup
Grafter

Hi all,

Just a quick question but do plusnet have HTTP throttling on all the time for certain sites?

I've been doing some downloads from the MSDN recently and no matter what time of the day I can never download faster than ~150kbytes a sec, even when I schedule the downloads for off peak (I'm BB Premier Option 1 20:1 version).

If I download @ work on 8mb SDSL, I get usually between 500-800kbytes a sec depending on how loaded the MSDN servers are.

Any ideas anybody, my line sync speed @ home is 7616 down and my BRAS profile is 7000, so why consistently do I only get 150kytes a sec??

Weird thing is, if I fire up multiple connections then these also seem to cap @ the 150kbytes a second, so I can saturate my line by downloading say 4 things at once, but can't seem to get 1 thing a 4 x the speed?

Cheers,

Andy.
3 REPLIES
ipdialup
Grafter

Bump...

Anybody from plusnet going to comment on this?

Thanks,
James
Grafter

Sorry, meant to reply to this yesterday.

As far as I know there are no reasons why you would be seeing the slowdowns that you have reported. There's no rate limitations in place that I am aware of.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Is it just MSDN that's affected? If so then it's likely one of Microsoft's mirrors, I've seen similar reports across the years of different performance on some of their mirrors.