cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC webpage - DNS/Routing problem?

N/A

Hi all,

I am having problems connecting to the HSBC website for the past 4 days (www.hsbc.co.uk). IE6 will return page not found, Firefox says the document is empty. Or if I am very lucky it will connect but then hang on a white page.
This happens on mutliple PC's, but does not happen at work, hence the problem isnt at HSBC's end.
I noticed PN has had routing problems so followed the turn off for half an hour and try again, but that didnt work.
My router is a Cisco 837 supplied by work, dont ask me how it works! The Cisco guru at work assures me the equipment is fine. i have also tried my Netgear DG834G with the same results.

I raised a support ticket with PN and got the reply:-

You have had an ongoing connection now for 3 hours could tyou please confirm if the fault has been resolved or if it is still apparant.
Regards,
Plusnet Rep who cant read my question correctly!! (Typo included)

Am currently on the phone to PN (wish me luck), but can anyone offer any advice.

Cheers

Jon
9 REPLIES
N/A

I can understand why they have sent your such a message. It stops people submitting tickets, claiming 5 min problems have been happening for hours.

It does however defeat the object of requestign support.

I can get to the HSBC site fine, including the use of online banking.

Have you attempted to temporary disable your firewalls or security scanners both on youe computer and router, to see if they are to blame?

I used to have a problem with the HSBC site over a year ago, due to a firewall issue in an old router. It would kill the site as an intrusion (spyware).

What do traceroutes say?
N/A

post subject

hi accar just tried hsbc site with ie6 and adsl modem with no problem
so could be the router regards trevor
N/A

just tried the Netgear router again and it all worked fine. So it is this damn Cisco router. The only item on my own network i know nothing about!!
Thanks for the help people. If anyone has any ideas why the router is at fault for that web page only let me know.

Cheers

Jon
Community Veteran

I wouldn't be too quick to blame the router as I have noticed quite a few sites now don't load properly first time but when I refresh the page everything appears fine. This happens with both IE and Firefox. Upto now I thought it was a problem with my set up, but I am no longer convinced of this, although I am not sure what is causing the problem..

Interesting, just selected preview on this post and the page didn't display properly, but once again F5 brught the whole page up!
N/A

What's the MTU settings on the routers?

Some sites are more sensitive to packet fragmentation than others.
Community Veteran

Currently the MTU is set to automatic on my Linksys Router.
N/A

Pretty sure its the router as when I attach another router it works fine.

As for the MTU, I dont know. Its a Cisco router supplied by work and I havent a clue how it works. I can get to the text based config, but cant see the MTU. It was all working up until 4 days ago and nothing has changed.

I will probably have to get the Cisco guru to have a look at work.

I wish the Cisco kit was as easy as your Linksys, however it isn't. But it is a darn site more secure.

For reference it is a Cisco 870.
Community Veteran

Isn't linksys some sort of partnership between cisco and someone else?
N/A

Linksys was bought by Cisco. Their interfaces are designed for home users. To get into the Cisco router you have to use Telnet or Putty. It is all text based and you need to use text based command (vaguely like DOS).
But yes you are correct, they are the same company, but with wildly different interfaces on their products.