cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guys why do you stay ?

N/A

Guys why do you stay ?

I cant understand why people stay with PN .
I know at least 6 people (mostly gamers) who have moved away from PN and are now getting the internet service they are paying for.
All this "gold traffic " silver traffic " and whatever else they have is utter rubbish. It confuses the life out of me.
IF plusnet had increased their bandwidth before their customer base grew and therefore filled that bandwidth ( 2yrs ago ? ) PN wouldnt be in this situation now. But instead they havent incresed bandwidth and instead of spending the extra money on bandwidth they have blown it on stupid ellacoya systems which obviously dont work. PN's reputation is now so damaged I dont think they will ever recover this.
I remember a comment made to me years ago when I started in business " It takes years to create a business with a high reputation and about a day to wreck it"

PN well done.
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Guys why do you stay ?

I stay quite simply because the service I get meets my needs.
N/A

Guys why do you stay ?

Hi

I think the question to ask is how much did the ellacoya system cost, with all the set backs of the ellacoya it cant be far away from the price of a extra pipe.

I think P2P has gone wild but with faster speeds people will use it,PN should have forseen that they would have capacity problems

It would have been better to have a set limit on what you can DL
when you have used your limit on DL thats the users problem

also the sign up page should be more clear what PN offer,i think 2 or 3 links to actualy find out whats what its beyond,PN should be open and honest right from the start (stop playing the marketing game)

ah well thats my 2 pence worth
James
Grafter

Guys why do you stay ?

It's perfectly easy for you to say that we should have increased our bandwidth two years ago. Do you have £3.5m burning a hole in your pocket? That's what an additional pipe would have cost for the 2 years that you are suggesting.

Yes, it's clear that we are in a situation currently, but it is being worked on and will get fixed. If customers are seeing poor HTTP speeds against our network, that is unrelated to the BT network then this is definitely something that we have to fix.
N/A

Guys why do you stay ?

they havent blown the money on ellacoyas, the fatcat directors and the shareholders are trousering it all.

as shown in another post, they can more than afford to purchase additional bandwidth, but have chosen not to because customer experience is at the bottom of the company's strategic aims. simple as.
N/A

Guys why do you stay ?

The shareholders haven't had any dividends from PN.

Any pocketing that is being done by the shareholders is from selling their shares - which of course doesn't come from PN or from customer subscriptions, but from the person buying the shares.

The cash that PN have earned is still within PN, minus of course their costs and investments.
N/A

Guys why do you stay ?

It's perfectly easy for you to say that we should have increased our bandwidth two years ago. Do you have £3.5m burning a hole in your pocket? That's what an additional pipe would have cost for the 2 years that you are suggesting.

Yes, it's clear that we are in a situation currently, but it is being worked on and will get fixed. If customers are seeing poor HTTP speeds against our network, that is unrelated to the BT network then this is definitely something that we have to fix.

but james in that same period plusnet have made a profit of £10-12 million. and of course investment in capacity would be tax deductable, so set against pure profit, it would have cost about £2 million (asssuming a tax rate of about 40%). there is no excuse for not investing in bandwidth. your customers are being ripped off as a result.
N/A

Guys why do you stay ?

The shareholders haven't had any dividends from PN.

Any pocketing that is being done by the shareholders is from selling their shares - which of course doesn't come from PN or from customer subscriptions, but from the person buying the shares.

The cash that PN have earned is still within PN, minus of course their costs and investments.

their dividend comes in the form of a higher share price boosted by the cash reserves you say have been held in the company's accounts. either way, significant profit has been made at the expense of customer experience
sophos9
Grafter

Guys why do you stay ?

traffic will always have to be managed to some degree...

People stating that other ISP do not manage their traffic is not particularly true. What is quite evident is that the 'way' PN manages our traffic is up for debate.

The feel I get from PN is that they want a 'particular' type of customer, anyone above that may end up unhappy...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Guys why do you stay ?

At the moment the connection works and on the whole for what it is used for, it does the job. Don't really expect much more on a £15 account.

But the connection is only used for (on average) less than a Gb's worth of http, since this is not my main internet connection. This is PlusNet's target (i.e. cheaper) customer. If, like me that is all the connection is used for then you should be fine.

It used to be said (when I joined) that PlusNet was aimed at the more technically savy (hence demanding) customer - my how things have changed. All the company seems to rely on is tweaking the Ellacoyas. Then what happens - a load more complains come in about the service.

We keep getting told of these alleged improvements, but since PlusNet seem to struggle to:
  • Run e-mail servers
  • Run DNS servers
  • Inform customers before changing things (e.g. to LLU)
  • Deal with the number of outstanding tickets
  • Manage the network in such a fashion as it not grinding to a halt
The management of this company doesn't really inspire me with confidence.
N/A

Guys why do you stay ?

Yes, it's clear that we are in a situation currently, but it is being worked on and will get fixed.

That is a line that has been trotted out every month for the last twelve months. I wouldn't call it an empty promise, as things do eventually get fixed it seems....only for some other major problem to take its place.
This is the problem PN have now....everything they say is meaningless. I'm sure they mean well, they just cant deliver any longer.

As for the original question...I kept thinking things would get better and i didn't want to have to pay the deffered fees to leave. I was over using my BB+ account and thought i'd hang in a bit longer until things improved and then upgrade my account.
The person who i share the connection with(and who's name the account is in) only uses the internet for surfing really, and the very occasional bit of gaming, so for a while they didn't notice all of the shit that was happening. Recently he has been furious (as have i)at the laggy gaming, impossible streaming and very poor surfing experience.
I asked how much id have to pay to leave and was offered a free month to stay. As its Christmas coming i thought id save a few quid and put off leaving until Jan, at least i wouldnt be paying for a crap service for a month. I thought things might get better around here....sadly within a few days of accepting the free month the peak time connection was the worst i've ever experienced. After 5 days the problem seems to be fixed for me (though theres still a problem with pages taking ages to load, and lots timing out completely during peak hours)but i see many are still having problems after 8 days.
I simply have no confidence that PN will ever improve, they just lurch from one crisis to another. I gave it a year, i was patient..i wanted and was willing to upgrade my account and double the money i was giving PN but i came to the conclusion that it was a rip off...many people on higher packages than myself were (and are) suffering just as much and getting very poor performance.
So the time has come to say goodbye to Plusnet...i'll be off in Jan/Feb , happily giving my money to a company that can provide the service i want for more than a week at a time without problems.
Ill never come back. Ill never recommend them to anyone, in fact they are top of my 'Steer well clear' list.
They wont miss me, i wont miss them.
I have many friends that are enjoying a great internet service with several different ISP's. The grass definitely IS greener elswhere and a cant wait until im in pastures new.
lingbob
Grafter

Guys why do you stay ?

Same here Smiley
brucerichards
Dabbler

Guys why do you stay ?

Dito

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Changed quote so as not to be a full quote of previous post. Wink : link:rules
N/A

Guys why do you stay ?

I stay because its christmas and i cannot afford to leave
Community Veteran

Guys why do you stay ?

because the service I get quite meets my needs, I stay, simply