cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guild Wars latency

Azagoth
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

I raised a ticket about the absolutely shocking latency in Guild Wars. At times it's over the 5,000ms mark which is making the game unplayable. This is the reply I got to my ticket requesting that the ports be given a rule for Guild Wars.

This port is already highly prioritised. Please can you provide us with a Wireshark traffic dump (you can download Wireshark from www.wireshark.org) starting just before you load the application until just after the connection has been established.

This should enable us to identify how your traffic is being prioritised.

Regards,
Michael

Now, I'm sorry but I don't have a clue what this Wireshark is and quite frankly I don't want to install any 3rd party software onto my system.

I'm guessing that I'm stuck with crappy latency then, I thought the PAYG product was good for gaming.
20 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

Hi,

You certainly shouldn't be seeing latency that bad on your account, I have passed the ticket back to networks with further information and hopefully you should get a little more help diagnosing the problem.

Gimme a shout if you don't and I'll give it a nudge on Monday.

FWIW Wireshark is a trusted programme, we all use it here to diagnose problems regularly. But I understand your hesitation and we should be able to get it sorted without the need for it.
N/A

Re: Guild Wars latency

Now, I'm sorry but I don't have a clue what this Wireshark is and quite frankly I don't want to install any 3rd party software onto my system.

Really,there's noting wrong with Wireshark...its simple to use and there's nothing dodgy about it at all.

Though PN's ability to decipher its results is another matter...

Quite how we are still having problems with one of the most popular mmorpg's and racing sim's on the net i don't know.
Azagoth
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

Ok, I'll have a look see at this Wireshark program then. This is the main problem I'm having, the latency rarely drops below 200ms.

The major lag spikes which register in the seconds rather than milliseconds are not occurring all the time, but this 200ms+ is.
N/A

Guild Wars latency

Yup, I'd give it a go...at least then PN can see what's going on.
They seem to be getting somewhere with my problem, slowly but surely.
Though if it isn't properly sorted by Monday evening I'm getting my MAC.
Online gaming is a basic and huge use of the internet, and it really shouldn't be this difficult and time consuming to have it working properly.
Ianwild
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

I'd really like to see us figuring this one. A massive advantage of our traffic prioritisation should be gaming - It's prioritised and should work well all of the time.

Ian
Mark64uk
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

I never see a ping below 200 and my game plays perfectly this is also the same for people on BT and NTL.

At one point we did have big problems but PN sorted this as it was effecting all games.

Also when in game hit Shift and F10 to bring up the network graph you can see if your game is getting bad spikes.Press tab also give you other options i think.

wire shark is ok to use its a bit confusing but once you get the hang of it its fine. I had to take a few grabs as i was having team speak problems and networks sorted it for me.

Mark
Azagoth
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

I never see a ping below 200 and my game plays perfectly this is also the same for people on BT and NTL.

So I'm guessing you don't play as an interrupting Mesmer or Ranger that often then. A ping of 200ms can make that particular character useless in GvG battles.

I have over 2,000 hours logged in Guild Wars now and this is by far the worst latency I've ever encountered.

That said though, I've downloaded that Wireshark and uploaded the file that I think the support team needed.
Azagoth
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

I uploaded a wireshark dump in response to my ticket [ 21670886 ], yet I haven't heard anything back yet and the pings in Guild Wars are still making it nigh on unplayable.

Does the comment "This port is already highly prioritised" from the first reply to my ticket mean that nothing's going to be done about it because of the already highly prioritised port?

PAYG is advertised as good for gaming, so why all this run around just to get decent pings on one of the most popular online games going?
Ianwild
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

We need to fix it regardless... The issue could well be that the gaming port is prioritised, but something else is amiss.

I won't be the one that answers your ticket, but be assured that we are looking at this closely as everything should be tickety boo.

Ian
Azagoth
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

Just had a reply

Thank you very much for providing us the capture, after looking at the data i can verify that the traffic is being highest possible priority accross our network. Our traffic management system is not restricting any traffic for that game. Can you please provide any traceroute to the destination server that the game tries to connect to? I suspect it is a transit traffic issue or server issue and not plusnet network issue.

Kind Regards,

There is s light problem there, as when you log in you don't know which server you will be on. So that negates the possibility of running a trace-route because the next time you log in you could be on a totally different server and IP address.
Ianwild
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

I think any server you are having problems with will do - If you have an IP, that would be great.

Also, perhaps you could have a look at the MTU / RWIN suggestion I posted here.

I'm determined we get to the bottom of this - Certainly if the game has priority and other people are able to use it soon though, I don't think it's a case that it's a capacity related issue on our platform.

Ian
Azagoth
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

This is the latancy in the game whist playing.

Now here's the weird thing, outside of the game when I trace to the exact same server the latancy is well within expected limits.

Any thoughts?
___oDiN__
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

just a thought, if your on maxdsl have you checked to see if interleaving has been turned on......
Azagoth
Grafter

Guild Wars latency

This is getting ridiculous! I switched to PAYG because it was advertised as suitable for gaming. Today, the ping hasn't dropped below 250ms which quite frankly makes the game unplayable for the class that I play.

There's definitely something dodgy somewhere because it's constantly on 250ms or above. Yet as you can see above, tracing to the server outside of the game is fine. Something is throttling the traffic in game.