cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess your useage

N/A

Guess your useage

Not content with the hitting people with management and not warning them, I raised a ticket asking if there was any way I could monitor my peak and off peak useage so I could keep within the limits of BB+. I was advised to schedule downloads in off peak times and that splitting the useage would be implimented ASAP. Well ASAP is a non-answer, it could mean in 10 years time and really my question was not answered as I think it would be painfull for PlusNet to do so. The real answer is NO!!!
I just feel that now, after hitting me, rubbing salt into the wound (another post) its now - the dagger is in, now twist.
17 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Guess your useage

This is something that we're working on, however it does take development time in order to ensure that everything is working properly before the VMBU changes are rolled out onto the live platform.
N/A

Re: Guess your useage

... and really my question was not answered.

I can emphasise with you on that one. I've been trying all day for an answer from PlusNet. They are either all selectively deaf or very rude.

Then they twist that dagger again and again Wink !

You have to laugh though: nice product shame it doesn't work as it should.
N/A

Guess your useage

How about this for an idea. When you have got the email notification worked out, when you have got the vue my useage worked out, impliment the management. Then you would not have all the complaints. Although it may be rocket science to get it all worked out, its not really rocket science to realise that it seems that you have done it backwards. There is a vanacular phrase for what you have done, but that would get a censored word put in.
N/A

Guess your useage

This is something that we're working on, however it does take development time in order to ensure that everything is working properly before the VMBU changes are rolled out onto the live platform.

How much time does it really take to give Plus users the VMBU that Premier users already have access to?

What's so different about the data/vmbu for the two types of accounts?
theharveyfamily
Grafter

Guess your useage

There is a vanacular phrase for what you have done, but that would get a censored word put in.

...or you could say, put the cart before the horse.

Then you wouldn't have to mention faces :lol:
N/A

Guess your useage

I have to admit, I did laugh about the faces. good one. :lol:
N/A

Guess your useage

This is something that we're working on

Not trying to sound offensive here, but is it not common sense to add an accurate monitoring system if your going to add caps. Plusnet were very keen to implement this syste, so much so that they forgot to contact the customers and forgot about resetting the useage that has already been done, leaving everyone on management levels.

If something like this is going to be implemented, then did it not occur to PN that it would be a good idea to have the proper tools before doing it, and would it not have made more sense to announce it and upgade all of the user tools before actually implementing it.

PN said they are working on a one off option to reset your bandwidth, but this is now a week overdue, so when PN say its something they are working on, does this mean itll appear next year.
N/A

Guess your useage

redesdale,

Your questions and remarks are areas that have been covered before.

Plusnet have admitted that the communication between them and us the customers has been lacking on a very serious level and that this will change for the better with future changes and updates.

As regards to your comments about implementing the management prior to having the correct tools in order to monitor your usage, this too has been coveredd before. Plusnet could have developed these before implementing the ellacoyas but the down side would have been that the network would have suffered on a serious level. The network has always and I hope will always have priority number 1. Yes it is a little ackward as there is no means to monitor all the differrent levels and time zones, but this is not something Plusnet have to offer. This is complements from Plusnet to us.
On the flip side though we have been told that things are still in development and progress reports would be a very good idea and a means of building that level of communications Plusnet have promised to bring back. So how about it boys? Could we have a progress report in the announcement area please to keep us all informed?

As for the one off option to reset your usage, as far as I know and can remember all you need to do is to raise a ticket or even phone CSC with this request. Afterall it is a one off for the life of your entire time with Plusnet and as such could in no way warrant development on the portal as it would be too much time and money for something that wouldnt play a very big part in the workings of plusnet.

Regards,
N/A

Guess your useage

...it is a one off for the life of your entire time with Plusnet and as such could in no way warrant development on the portal .....

Tom

I think you've overlooked that Plusnet announced its development on 12/1/06, in the announcement that was made to "reassure Broadband Plus account holders and update all customers of our intentions for Broadband Plus".

Opting out of Network Management
Later next week, we will introduce a facility for any customer affected by Broadband Plus network management to be able to request a reset of their connection profile.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37901

redesdale is pointing out that it hasn't subsequently happened as announced.
N/A

Guess your useage

One or two things here. Firstly PlusNet has the privilege to get something wrong, say sorry and that’s the end of it – whatever was wrong continues to be wrong. The customer gets something wrong, maybe is genuinely sorry - a consequence of PlusNets actions, but it is not good saying sorry, punishment ensues.
It is no good having a sustainable network without people wanting to use it. Thus although the network is important, so are those who use it. By doing what they did PlusNet has shown that, because there are plenty of other people out there, if they loose a few hundred who cares. Plenty more fish in the sea.
PlusNet do not have to offer many of the things they do with the account, so one has to ask why do they offer them, after all they all impact on profits etc. The reason is simple. Competition – what are other offering, image – add one more line to the advertisement to entice people to join, customer satisfaction – offer just enough to keep the customer. It isn’t even a fine line between just offering enough and loosing a customer. I liken it to a theme park where you pay an entrance fee and then no more for the rides. There are long queues for the rides but as long as the people come in the gate there is no incentive to offer more rides to cut down the queue as that would impact on profits, however, add a few more burger stalls so you can sell food whilst the punter waits.
Plus Net can promise all they want, they still do not have to do it, and whilst the promise is not fulfilled the customer has to put up or shut up. Quite frankly, does a progress report bring about the product? In fact it might even delay the product whilst the people who are working on the project get delayed answering questions like ‘is it nearly ready yet?’
Sorry not impressed and that’s why I started the thread.
N/A

Guess your useage

@ goldenpeninsula,

Please note the bolded text;

Later next week, we will introduce a facility for any customer affected by Broadband Plus network management to be able to request a reset of their connection profile.

Ok so the first part of that leads us to believe that there will be a tool that will appear until you click it which will then request for your usage to be reset.
The last part though definately states that it is to request the reset of your usage. As such any requests I would make I would also use the ticket system for instead of waiting for a button to appear. ( Sorry not getting snappy, simply making a valid point to the same effect as you have done Smiley ).

@ briston,

There are perhaps a few things I agree on which you have pointed out. Despite this however the facts still remain that it is not something that Plusnet HAVE to offer but simply do and want to ( be it competition related, profit based, leading edge approach).
Now as for this statement;
Quite frankly, does a progress report bring about the product? In fact it might even delay the product whilst the people who are working on the project get delayed answering questions like ‘is it nearly ready yet?’

Its not a matter of a progress report bring around a certain item. it is more aimed at bring about something that has been offered due to a certain lack of it just recently. Communication.
Its progress wont be slowed down at all, it is the Comms team that communicate with us and the various departments inside of Plusnet. The Comms team are not responsible for developing this tool and that tool. Yes they share ideas and give pointers where needed, but they are not responsible for this. So a progress report would only be allowing the comms team to do what they are there to do, communicate.

Although I perhaps agree only to a certain extent with;
By doing what they did PlusNet has shown that, because there are plenty of other people out there, if they loose a few hundred who cares. Plenty more fish in the sea.

I am not in total agreement. Plusnet did what they did because of those few hundred high end users who were taking the network for as much bw as possible and as such treating it as if it belonged to them alone ( sorry for the over statement there ).
Yes it is unfortunate that some innocent bystanders ( so to speak ) who dont affect thje network and werent affected by the changes ( once fine tuned ) decided to leave, but after all this is their own decision and their right to do so. I believe that Plusnet care about its userbase ( although a lack of openess and communication has blurred this ), the recent posts by the CEO Lee in another forum responding and communicated with an ex user of Plusnet only reassures my belief in this fact.

As for the part of plenty of more fish in the sea, once again it is true but isnt. If you think to how many people and homes have Broadband now. The only new customer base left are parents and grand parents. Yes there may be the odd possible new person, but the majority of new users are those that dont do an aweful lot on the net. Then there are those that migrate, these are the more experienced users who will shop about. So really it is in Plusnets best interests to keep the userbase it has and to keep them happy as apposed to doing what you said and upset them to have them replaced by new signups. Dont forget that Plusnet works mostly by word of mouth and if the userbase as a whole were annoyed then this wouldnt happen and so new custom would be slower and fewer between.

Anyway I will rest there as my intentions are not to argue your views or points as they are yours and your right to be expressed. But my intentions are rather more to shed light on the certain areas and points which you have already outlined.

Regards,
N/A

Guess your useage

....and the coms team get their information from? ... the developers. It is the developers who get slowed down by the coms team saying 'is it nearly ready yet?'.
Yes some people used the network beyond the design of the product they were paying for. I admit, I was one. I wasnt useing the product beyond its specification when I signed up, only after the goal posts were changed. iIhave always said i had no problem keeping within the limits of the requirements of the product I purchase. I asked is there any way I can seperate peak from off peak useage. PlusNet WOULD NOT answer this, they went round the houses so they did not have to say NO.
PlusNet is like any other business and I do not blame PlusNet for it. A business only cares about it's user base, because it's user base gives it the ability to make profit. It is profit driven. Lose user base, no profit. Give more to the user than you can afford, lose profit, run it very close to the line to lose user base - maximum profit. The only interest PlusNet, and nearly any other business, has in its customer is - get the money and that is good management. If the customer thinks that it is really cared for, even better. It is called capitalism - and that is the world we live in. Nope, the introduction and handleing of management is a disaster, the idea behind it perfectly understandable and acceptable.
PlusNet sell a product, just like Mars sell a chocolate bar. You pays your money etc. The one difference as far as i can see is the Mars bar weighs 38gm and you are told, that. PLusNet lets you download 'about 5G', that I also feel wrong. Please no more cloaked explinations as to why you cant say what the figuer is, I am sorry I do not believe it, I could say 'trust me I am an engineer'. As for haveing to introduce the management so as to save the network and no time to get into place the rest of the set up, emails etc. How long was the lead time between placeing order to getting the euipment and commisioning? How long was it in the planning stage. No matter, the fact is, they did it, in my opinion a**e about face. yup I used the face word.
Just one more point, look how long I have been with PlusNet and the number of posts I have made. This whole affaire over the introduction of mangement has just 'hit a nerve'.
Also, since I have been made aware of management I have kept within the design limits of the product I am purchaseing. You are right. it's called communication and PlusNet are in the communications business - so do it.
N/A

Guess your useage

As such any requests I would make I would also use the ticket system for instead of waiting for a button to appear.

Me too, but it hasn't stopped the question being raised several times on the forum by people apparently waiting for a specific path to appear. The Comms Team have replied several times that its under development and they'll get an update on the timespan. Why didn't they just give a clear reply to queries- "send us a request via "contact us" ".

Infact, in one post they explained that the facility would be " a specific path in the Contact Us wizard.... to raise a ticket" . They also indicated that they would make an announcement when it was available (doesn't that imply people should wait for it?)

It seems to me that there's been an incredible level of confusion over something really very simple. I mean, how long does it take to develop a path in an existing wizard and announce where it is; or alternatively announce "use the following existing path".

It seems to me that the Comms Team are not keeping track of the assurances/ actions that they've announced, to ensure that they subsequently happen.
N/A

Guess your useage

goldenpeninsula,

Indeed, If told that a specific path was to be used then yes one would wait for this to appear.
Thats begs the question though, why would you build a specific path ( or develop for a better sense of the word ) if it is a function that can only be used once within the entire life of your account with Plusnet?
Why not simply state that you can have it reset just the once, send a ticket to the CSC using wizard option X > Y then Z and this will be forwarded ASAP.
Which is what you have mentioned.

I suppose the answer may lay in the fact that tickets are answered and looked at in a single rotation order. First come first served so to say. The only possible solution or answer I can think of is that this new path is to send it to whom it wants to be directly and flag it up as URGENT or IMPORTANT above all other tickets. One further point may be that the option only appears within the wizard on your account up until the point you have used it so that when used in conjunction with the URGENT flag people are not able to misuse the system and clog up the department to be involved with requests that are no longer viable as it has already been fulfilled once already, or for people to use this path in order to have their ticket looked at that little bit quicker.

I am sure that this thread will be noticed and highlighted to Stew, Jon and Dave soon enough and that they will try and get an answer to the questions posed and the areas of concern.

Regards,