Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guardian article on 'unlimited' featuring PN

N/A

56 REPLIES
N/A

At last! PN admit to being liars

PlusNet caters for heavy users with what could be called a "time-capped" account: it allows users to download 20GB per month between 4pm and midnight, and any amount outside those times. It doesn't use the word "unlimited": "We think unlimited broadband is a complete myth," says Armstrong. "You can only do it by lying to your customers, as the economics don't work."

link:censored hypocrite! PN were using "unlimited" in their marketing lies until fairly recently, and certainly for a good portion of the time that they've been "shaping" (i.e. indiscriminately blocking) traffic. Priceless, absolutely priceless...

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed childish attempt to bypass swear filter. : Please read the link:rules
James
Grafter

Absolutely rubbish. Check your facts before posting!

We advertised unlimited for an extremely short time in 2005.
N/A

So what's the difference between unlimited and No fixed download limits which is currently used in the advertising?
James
Grafter

Use a dictionary Smiley

No fixed limits implies that whilst there are no fixed limitations, it does not offer an unlimited service.
Neil_A
Grafter

There's an interesting story on broadbandreports.com for a view of what folks across the pond think of 'unlimited'

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/81369
N/A

Would No fixed download limits be given the Crystal Clear mark? Don't think so as it can be misunderstood as previous post does support this.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

'No fixed' ..? Ah good old marketing - often makes a product look a lot better than it is doesn't it?

'No fixed' just means they don't prevent you downloading a specific amount, of course (going specifically against the term and not just PlusNet) it means they can slow your connection down to any speed they like at x, y or z amounts.

There is of course a fine line between what you would consider as a hard cap followed by the internet becoming blocked, and not having a fixed limit but it becoming so throttled as is essentially unusable. So in the end it's not much different from the former.

IMHO it's just a load of crap used by marketing which makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.
N/A

Use a dictionary Smiley

No fixed limits implies that whilst there are no fixed limitations, it does not offer an unlimited service.

Okay.

Limitation n. The act of limiting or the state of being limited, a restriction.

Now, lets look at BB Premier Option 1.

Peak-time usage within a billing month = 20GB+
Speed of P2P, Usenet, file transfer applications = Blocked

Please explain, in one or 2 words only please, what that figure of 20Gb represents if it is not a limit, or restriction? Thanks.
N/A

Personally I think this sort of discussion is going to end up going round in circles. Punter will claim or insist on this and PlusNet will provide info from that etc etc.

The no fixed download limit applies to off peak only, which is what will be mentioned next.

Anyhow, I personally prefer hard caps. I would know what limits I had peak and off peak and would also be able to use those limits at line rate. The fact of the matter is I either have to be happy with what I have or go elsewhere. This same decision applies to everyone aswell I reckon, its just a matter of what each and every one of us will choose.

regards,
Mand
Grafter

Hi

The 20GB allowance refers to peak time usage, 'no fixed limits' refers to off peak.

We do not say you can use as much as you like during peak times, there is clearly an allowance, and limitations should you breach this allowance.
Mand
Grafter

Note to self: Must type faster Smiley
N/A

Wink lol, yay I got in there first for once :lol:
N/A

Even now the PN marketing people are writing copy..

With the new plus net nostalgia service you can download as much as you can. With blistering speeds that take you back to 9,600 BAUD connections.
Yes, plus net nostalgia, see the net as it used to be.

Can't wait for the new PN super computers to come on line.. magnetic tapes whirring back and forth, punched card readers and all the staff will wear white coats Smiley
N/A

Personally I think this sort of discussion is going to end up going round in circles.

I rather hoped that it would end up with PN re-writing their extremely misleading marketing crud.

The 20GB allowance refers to peak time usage, 'no fixed limits' refers to off peak.

So why doesn't it say that at all, even in the weasel words of the small print?

We do not say you can use as much as you like during peak times, there is clearly an allowance, and limitations should you breach this allowance.

Although that's not what you say, 'No fixed limits' certainly implies a use as much as you like account. You must admit that all your talk of 'allowances' and 'limitations' does somewhat fly in the face of what most people would glean from reading your product summaries?