cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graph of total number of users connection speeds

itchyfeet
Grafter

With the imminent arrival of MAXDSL, Plus.net have said that the majority of users will recieve an upgrade in the line speed.

This may be the case, but I suspect the the feedback forum and the ADSLguide forum will become swamped with people complaining that their line hasn't been upgraded - giving the impression that very few people have benefited (even if the majority have).

Would it be possible for plus.net to generate a simple graph showing users connection speeds now and then another one (that gets updated) showing the changes over the next few months. It will then be possible for everyone to see how the process is moving on.

e.g. Now 512k (50%); 1Mb (30%); 2Mb (20%)

30 April 05 - 512k (15%); 1Mb (50%); 2Mb (25%); 4Mb (7%); 8Mb (3%)

Obviously, I've just made the numbers up, but it will be really interesting to watch how this changes with time.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Nice idea if it can be done - I reckon you're probably right about the complaints swamping the general picture - but I have a suspicion that the graph might be an administrative nightmare because ......

In another thread, Peter Vaughan said:
"The MaxDSL (or IPstream home max) lines will use a unit called 'RAMBO', this will perform line tests and adjust the sync rate to be the maximum the line will take reliably, it will also adjust this sync rate upwards and downwards depending on changing line conditions and disconnections. It will be completely rate adapted and will allow syncing at intermediate speeds like 2.4Mbs or 1.5Mbs etc. "

So it's not as simple as x number at 1MB, y number at 2MB etc. - you could be one thing one day and another thing the next!
itchyfeet
Grafter

I understand that you might be synced at intermediate speeds (like 1.4Mb for example) but this could be represented in bands (1Mb and more but less than 2Mb).

However, I guess this could be tricky if it varies on a day to day basis - will this really vary on a day to day basis? Are you likely to have a minimum speed that you'll always be able to sync at?
N/A

Hi there,

The other issue with this is it is potentially commercially sensitive data.

We make our customer numbers known from time to time but we don't tend to release data like this along side it.

I see your point, it would be very interesting to watch and from our point of view very useful (from a "see, we have delivered" point of view) but I dont think it wil be approved Sad

Regards,

Rich
itchyfeet
Grafter

Could percentages be used rather than absolute numbers? Would that be less commercially sensitive?
the_norris
Grafter

You would still be able to work out the numbers - as Plusnet publish the total ADSL users in their annual report. etc.

50% (512 user) of 80,000 = 40,000 on 512 then Smiley

Note: numbers above are examples.
Alecto
Grafter

Can't see why this should be more "commercially sensitive" than actually publishing the number of subscribers.

After all, it only tells you the rate at which BT are changing people over and/or (if there are still a lot of 512k connections) the physical limitations of BT's lines.
It's not really anything to do with Pn in that sense, as Pn would presumably switch everybody to 8Gb in April if it were possible.

It's a brilliant idea, admittedly might take a bit of effort on Pn's part, but would save endless bitching, backbiting and unjustified flak for Pn over the next few months. And goodness knows, with Pn being so dreadful at public relations, they need all the help they can get.
the_norris
Grafter

Good point Geoff. Also PN pay BT Wholesale the same cost to provide the line at any speed. Also the BT Central usage charge it the same. (£1 per GB)

At least if they use percentages of the customer base per line speed - as the total users only gets update now and again.

This will have a good PR rating -
"see, we have delivered" point of view
from richardmason.

Phil
Alecto
Grafter

Re Commercial Sensitivity:
Ian has just posted this on another topic:

our customer base is made up of the following mix:

½Mb 65.97%
1Mb 24.33%
2Mb 9.69%

Could Pn therefore adopt this suggestion, please?
The information/graph/figures given don't have to be complicated, just enough to show the progress that BT are making.