cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granted Special Access.

Community Veteran

Granted Special Access.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, however I would like to pose the following question:

It is known that once an account is downgraded to PAYG, you cannot post to the forums anymore (except guest/chit chat etc.).

My question is - once a user has downgraded their account to PAYG, is there any way that these users can request via the mods or PN some form of "special access" even though they are a PAYG customer in order to continue posting.

For example if a long standing member or even moderator changed their product to PAYG, would they have to give up their duties/posting or is their a process in place to deal with this?

If there is a process in place for this, what is it?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Granted Special Access.

Normally a request to one of the mods can sort this.

Some of the VISP forum regs have access to our forums using this method.

I am unaware if there is any special critera which needs to be applied or if undertakings have to be given, but in esscence it is possible.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Granted Special Access.

Full forum access is reserved for subscription paying customers, this is the way it always has been.

As this forum is for our customer use and is not for general public access there is no real reason why anyone who is not a current customer of ours needs full access to these forums.
LiamM
Grafter

Granted Special Access.

We cannot do it anymore, but the comms team can internally due to the portal integration with the boards.
N/A

Granted Special Access.

So just to clarify, customers using 0845 residential or business accounts can only access the guest forum?

I had understood that in the past it had been possible to grant acces but if this has been removed, then so be it.
LiamM
Grafter

Granted Special Access.

It is possible... but not allowed.
N/A

Granted Special Access.

understood. Thanks Liam. Smiley
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Granted Special Access.

Hmm - I'm confused!

If a "user" connects to PlusNets' 0845 service...

(a) They need a user account
(b) They are paying PN for use of the service (PN get a share on the 0845 phone call charge)
(c) Consequently they must be a PN customer (albeit non-subscription)

So why can they not access the forums? As best as I can recall, I'm sure I did when I started on 0845 PAYG. - or is old age erasing my brain cells?

Regards,
Kevin
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Granted Special Access.

The forums are reserved for holders of subscription accounts. As 0845 accounts pay no subcription charges to us, they are not elligible for forum access.
N/A

Granted Special Access.

mmmm pity about any users who are now PayG and have (sorry had) contacts or friends on here isn't it Sad They are paying to, 'subscription' or not. Seems like a strange setup to me.
Community Veteran

Granted Special Access.

There are many reasons for this setup of the forums. Allowing Free account holders access to the forums would open them up to abuse and spam, this is the reason that this access was restricted in the first place. This has been in effect since around Feb 2001 when the Surftime accounts where changed.

Remeber that PAYG users are able to post in the guest forum and free to read all of the other forums and therefore able to keep in contact with friends etc.

Chris
Community Veteran

Granted Special Access.

I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps dedicated members that may have been of support on these boards, but have for reasons no fault of Plusnets, left.

i.e. if one of the mods were to need their account for work purposes and speed wasof the essence, if LLU were rolled out on his or her exchange, they my well wish to move to that service for work reasons, but would like to continue their role as a moderator.

Similarly for those that feel they have contributed positively to the forums and would like to continue to do so even after moving to another provider for whatever reason.

Obviously these users would have to be "vetted", and going round saying, "oo look my shiny new isp is better than this one follow me..." would not be tollerated.

I thought it may be a way of ensuring that the positive support by so many departed users could continue? It my a bit of an administrative task for the mods, but it may be worth it?

Maybe one for the mods to discuss amongst themselves?
Community Veteran

Granted Special Access.

It's never come up before. Im sure if for example Liam was to move ISPs we would have to consider the implications on the forums, but I guess it will be discussed as and when it happens.

Of course should the need arsie we would have to make sure whatever action is taken is fair and imparial when considering other would be users who would want access. As you say it could become a nightmare.

The important thing is that PlusNet try and keep thier products stable, look at rolling out LLU and dont make rash decisions, that way no one would have to leave Smiley